70mm Oppenheimer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Marcel Birgelen View Post

The few locations running those precious 5/70mm prints I know of, are putting dedicated, well trained people into the booth to monitor the ENTIRE show, simply to avoid any small incident becoming catastrophic. I'd say that for such a high-profile 15/70 showing, I'd expect someone to be in the booth all the time...
    I'm willing to bet you'll see a lot more care and attention put into a 5/70 changeover showing than you will anything else. Its a lot easier to just let it run when you have platters...

Comment

• FWIW, I did a random check and all the 5/70 and digital IMAX locations were once again mostly sold out all weekend and are through most of the coming week unless you enjoy being in the from few rows or on the side aisles.

Comment

• It's holding strong at the Varsity in Toronto! The 70mm print is also projecting flawlessly!!! The sold out crowds are very enthusiastic and you can hear a pin drop during quiet moments!

Comment

• Today is the start of Week 3 for OPPENHEIMER. Have any of the film-based bookings (35mm, 70mm, 70mm IMAX) terminated yet and/or been moved to a digital projection auditorium in a complex?

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael Coate View Post
            Today is the start of Week 3 for OPPENHEIMER. Have any of the film-based bookings
            (35mm, 70mm, 70mm IMAX) terminated yet and/or been moved to a digital projection
            auditorium in a complex?
            We've always had a "digital option" in one of our smaller auditoriums since opening week.
            Starting today 8/4, we've gone from three to two 70mm shows/day. Attendance at the morning
            and afternoon 70mm shows had dropped a bit, but evenings have all still been selling out, or
            within a few seats of doing so. Management here as asked me about possibly doing a 4th week.

Comment

• it appears Cinemark is utilizing experienced projectionists in their 5/70mm houses, i just got a call from one of my former techs who is also a projectionist for many decades, he is pulling his first shift running 70mm in Fort Lauderdale, BLS flew him there from Boise Idaho to operate for 4 weeks! hes running a woppolini v-8 in a 24 screen complex. hes getting full peridium plus lodging, car, and r/t airfare! plus wages! So at least someone is doing it right!

Comment

• >"hes running a woppolini V8"

Beg pardon?

Big crowds last weekend and this for 35mm. It looks splendid, puts our GDC SX3000 digital in that room to shame, color and brightness-wise.

Comment

• AKA Cinemeccanica v-8 70/35 ( 1970s era Victoria 8 )
                  Last edited by John Eickhof; 08-06-2023, 06:06 PM.

Comment

• We are running 35mm since July 19th here in Belgium, 8 shows a week and almost all sell outs. I too was very surprised to see such a difference color and contrast wise in comparison with the back up DCP on our Barco machine. I had not expected the difference to be so outspoken.
                    Enthusiastic reactions from the audience, especially young people are impressed, whereas the older crowd seems to enjoy it more for nostalgic reasons (that's how movies used to look like...)
                    Wish the studios would provide us with a new 35mm release from time to time.

Comment

• >AKA Cinemeccanic v-8 70/35

That's what I thought you didn't say.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alexander Vandeputte View Post
                        We are running 35mm since July 19th here in Belgium, 8 shows a week and almost all sell outs. I too was very surprised to see such a difference color and contrast wise in comparison with the back up DCP on our Barco machine. I had not expected the difference to be so outspoken.
                        Enthusiastic reactions from the audience, especially young people are impressed, whereas the older crowd seems to enjoy it more for nostalgic reasons (that's how movies used to look like...)
                        Wish the studios would provide us with a new 35mm release from time to time.
                        Thoroughly agree. Hey 70mm is fine, but 35mm is no slouch. Mid-size theaters would appreciate more like this.

Comment

• old timers like me had nicknames for most projectors...i'm with both of you with an exception, film quality, with high depth of field, color rendition, and sharp contrast ratios, better more efficient lamphouses, and modern lensing topped off with digital sound the 35mm result is pretty hard to beat! but, until you see a 5 perf 70mm image shot on 65mm or 70mm modern stock with a good bright lamphouse, sharp lenses and digital sound! ( i still prefer mag sound, it has a particular ambience ) I guess im sentimental! it is something i wish every 'so called' projectionist should see in person! i still defy digital imaging to even get close to it! even laser projection...unfortunately the bean counters of business and industry have forced the changes...it is profit driven, customer be damned! mark my words though, 'everything old is new again' and film is still making an attempt...don't let it die!
                          Last edited by John Eickhof; 08-06-2023, 06:10 PM.

Comment

• John, We are providing operators for all 71- 70mm Oppenheimer locations. Those V8's were actually the last (that im aware of) 20 new (from existing NOS parts) assembled off the line from Cinemeccanica in 2014.

We are also looking for relief projectionists to take over locations for an additional 2-5 weeks.

Comment

• thats interesting Sean! that explains the paint color differences on the proj! i couldnt figure out if the old vic was leftover in that theatre or brought in! Phil worked for me for years! hes a good professional projectionist as well as tech. i would do it but my dialysis prohibits me travel too far away from home, but it would be fun to do a roadshow again! its been lots of years! Phil says once he got the loops dialed in the old vic purrs right along!

Comment

• Originally posted by Victor Liorentas View Post
                                It's holding strong at the Varsity in Toronto! The 70mm print is also projecting flawlessly!!! The sold out crowds are very enthusiastic and you can hear a pin drop during quiet moments!
                                I'm seated for the 10pm screening tonight! Looking forward to it. The Vic 8 looks ready to go.

Comment

Working...
                                X