No announcement yet.

70mm Oppenheimer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As we get closer to the actual 70mm run of Oppenheimer, will this be a good place to network with other projectionists in charge of those 70mm theaters?
    I ask because I have tentatively been assigned to run a print at a theater on Long Island, which is quite a distance from my home base here in Ann Arbor Michigan. I have a good film projection tech support network here, but on Long Island not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by James J Pyke View Post
      I have tentatively been assigned to run a print at a theater on Long Island
      Farmingdale 14?

Comment

It was the Farmingdale 14, but then just a couple hours after I posted my question I got shifted to a theater in the Detroit area that's so much closer to my home base!

At any rate I'm still very interested in networking here with other projectionists who will be running prints around the US.

I get a little concerned sometimes about our skill sets falling out of fashion, and I'm hoping that maybe more of us could maybe do some videos during this run to show off the inner workings of the different machines we'll be operating.

Comment

If anyone didn't see the notice this morning all IMAX 70mm locations have been published by IMAX: https://www.imax.com/news/oppenheimer-in-imax-70mm

Comment

Originally posted by James J Pyke View Post
            I got shifted to a theater in the Detroit area
            Livonia? Southgate? Sterling Heights?

Comment

Purely FYI: On the opposite end of the spectrum, for theaters that don't have IMAX or 70mm capability,
              Universal announced yesterday that they will be sending out OPPENHEIMER DCP's in both FLAT and
              SCOPE versions- - to accommodate theaters stuck with either common height or common width screens
              and/or maskings. (which means that there's at least a 50% chance that some theaters will get it right.)

Opp_FrmCht_F.jpg

Opp_FrmCht_S.jpg
              Last edited by Jim Cassedy; 06-01-2023, 11:47 AM. Reason: Original Message Was In The Wrong Aspect Ratio !

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Coate View Post

Livonia? Southgate? Sterling Heights?
                The Forum in Sterling Heights!

Comment

Hi James,

We will be reactivating the 70mm Technical Support section of our website at blsi.com with videos and other information that you may find helpful. We are also providing 24/7 technical support during the run including phone, email, and in person support if needed. We will provide an email address specifically for questions and technical support. Please, also feel free to reach out to me if there is anything we can do to make this the fun and exciting experience it should be!

BTW, I've been to the Forum and I've spent quite a but of time in Ann Arbor. One of our techs was also the former facilities manager for the Forum 30. Its a small world!

Comment

Originally posted by Sean McKinnon View Post
                    Hi James,

We will be reactivating the 70mm Technical Support section of our website at blsi.com with videos and other information that you may find helpful. We are also providing 24/7 technical support during the run including phone, email, and in person support if needed. We will provide an email address specifically for questions and technical support. Please, also feel free to reach out to me if there is anything we can do to make this the fun and exciting experience it should be!

BTW, I've been to the Forum and I've spent quite a but of time in Ann Arbor. One of our techs was also the former facilities manager for the Forum 30. Its a small world!
                    SUPER NEWS!
                    I struggle with some anxiety nowadays since I only get to run a handful of film prints each year as compared to running multiple prints each week in the olden times.
                    Every resource available during the Oppenheimer run will be hugely appreciated.
                    Thanks very much indeed!

Comment

A friend just sent me this screenshot of this:

VarietyHeadline.jpg

Comment

According to the official Oppenheimer site, as well as AMC's site, Oppenheimer will be playing in 70MM at the AMC Promenade in the Denver suburb of Westmininster.

Showtimes for the first two days are sold out, which is unsurprising, considering how small the auditorium is.

I've experienced so many bad presentations at this location that I've stopped going there, despite the fact that it's 3 miles from my house. Sadly, the next closest 70MM location I'm aware of is 900 miles away.

If I go here, will the print still be intact by the time I see it?

If I sit on the front row, will it feel big? Or will I be so close that I can see the screen perforations?

image.png
                        Last edited by Geoff Jones; 06-01-2023, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyle Mikolajczyk View Post
                          If anyone didn't see the notice this morning all IMAX 70mm locations have been published by IMAX: https://www.imax.com/news/oppenheimer-in-imax-70mm
                          There's an error in that list--the Manchester Vue no longer has a 70mm projector.

Comment

The theatre staff is not going to be projecting. Projectionists are being provided for the run and in a lot cases this is the third or fourth run that these projectionists have done at the same location on the same machines.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean McKinnon View Post
                              <edited>The theatre staff is not going to be projecting. .
                              Well, yes & no. . At some theaters, such as mine, which have one or more full time projectionists
                              with 70mm experience on staff, one or more 'house projectionists' will be assigned to the
                              OPPENHEIMER run, but will be taken off of the regular payroll and get paid instead by either
                              BLS or UNIVERSAL. [ I"m not sure which- - I just know that my boss told me (with a big grin
                              on his face) that "he wasn't going to pay me" for OPPENHEIMER.] lol
                              Last edited by Jim Cassedy; 06-02-2023, 12:45 PM.

Comment

You are correct Jim, I am SURE your're boss was very pleased! I was mainly referring to the locations with equipment owned by Warner Bros. not exhibitor owned equipment in which case if they have a qualified projectionist on staff such as yourself in some cases we are picking up the payroll. In other exhibitor owned locations we are providing the projectionist 100%

Comment

Working...
                                X