70mm Oppenheimer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 70mm Oppenheimer

Just got a email from our Booker, Universal is checking if our 70 mm is still working order and if there is still a projectionist on staff at Willow Creek Cinemas in Plymouth Minnesota for Oppenheimer ,and I'm still there plus my relief projectionist & the equipment is still working, stay tuned.

Good to know; I have a funny feeling none of the Denver houses with 70mm will be willing to bring in a projectionist.

I remember the Regal Continental had to bring in an out-of-town projectionist for Dunkirk but the current manager was doubtful corporate would be willing to spend that kind of money again, even though the projector is still there.

He said they asked for a 70mm print of Tenet but Regal wasn’t willing to send one.

The local 70mm AMC houses were a bit of a joke for Dunkirk.

Comment

We hope the 'Drafthouse New Mission Theatre' in San Francisco will-show Oppenheimer on 70mm film. They show many 70mm films at their NY Brooklyn Drafthouse but SF gets skipped for some reason.

Another SF Bay Area theatre that could show It in 70mm is Oakland's Grand Lake Theatre. Both cinemas have semi large scope screens and have curtains that work.

The New Mission seldom uses their curtains unfortunately and badly needs some red or blue color stage footlights on the red drapes. The projectionist I know at the New Mission says his hands are tied being unable to close and open them after the trailers and before the main feature. Sometimes they will close after the feature film.

Comment

Would like to see 35mm too. We ran Dunkirk that way, and it was splendid.

Comment

I wonder how many prints of 70mm and 35mm there will
          be.

Comment

I wonder if this Nolan film will have intelligible sound. (The trailer seems about half and half.) Given the complaints on "Interstellar," I hope so.

Comment

Dunkirk dialogue was very clear so progress has been made.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Chavez View Post
                Dunkirk dialogue was very clear so progress has been made.
                Tenet's dialogue was downright inaudible at some points, so we will see!

Comment

Inaudible is different than unintelligible.

Comment

Most of the dialogue was inaudible. i.e. Unable to detect it behind all the other soundtrack elements that drowned it out. What was audible, sometimes barely so, was unintelligible. i.e. Unable to understand.

Whoever it was that mixed that soundtrack needs to learn the meaning of "vocal formant."

Comment

I had to watch the Blu-ray of Tenet with the subtitles enabled to get some idea of what was going on, but saw Interstellar in both real IMAX and 70mm versions and can't recall having any problems with the dialogue..

Comment

I got word today that there's a 97½% chance I'll be running Oppenheimer in 70mm.
                        Apparently management is still dickering about the number of required 70mm show per day. (From what I
                        was told,, the inability to reach an agreement on this is why my venue didn't play AVATAR W-O-W in 3D)
                        But I'm optimistic for Oppenheimer.

Comment

I'd like to see the math on how that percentage was derived

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Blakesley View Post
                            I wonder if this Nolan film will have intelligible sound. (The trailer seems about half and half.) Given the complaints on "Interstellar," I hope so.
                            Again, Interstellar was mixed that way intentionally.

Nolan hates when you can hear every word of dialogue at all times, as that makes the movie fake and pulls you out of the story.

I agree with him.

Tenet had its unintelligible moments, but that may also be because seemingly no one except studio screening rooms and mixing stages plays movies at the proper 7.0 on the fader these days.

Comment

Exactly correct. But whether it is directorial artistic choice or other adjective, we in the business all have to play it or listen to it. Dunkirk was excellent in all regards in my opinion. Did not see Tenet. Interstellar was difficult to understand and rhetorically, how are we supposed to know we are not supposed to understand it?
                              Last edited by Sam Chavez; 02-01-2023, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X