No announcement yet.

Dolby/Doremi Legacy products cert expiration and year 2024 issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The DLMs have always been short-lived, for whatever reason. At least that has been my experience. This is true for the Firmware and SM DLMs They seem to be perpetually updating them.

Comment

The issue is the definition of "sites we support." As noted above, our service contract customers are all done. The gray area is those who bought an affected server from us several to many years ago, do not have a service contract with us, but have scheduled one or two one-time service calls since. Of these, I have updated around 10-15 during service calls booked for other reasons, and would guess that there is around the same number of sites again that have not yet been done. I am reluctant to reach out to them proactively, because (a) it devalues the service contract, and (b) the risk that when contacted, the customer will respond with words to the effect of you sold us this defective product, so you should come and fix it for free (even if the product in question is a 10-year old DCP2000). If the site in question is 300 miles away and doesn't have Teamviewer access, we're immediately looking at significant expense and/or lost goodwill. As against which, if they suddenly call or email on January 1 next year, we have the bulletproof response of "This is a known issue, that we addressed proactively with our service contract customers. As you chose not to buy a service contract..."

This is something I need to discuss with my boss when I get a moment. Thankfully, we still have over six months to address it.

Comment

Hi everyone,

Dolby does use short-term (approximately three months) licenses for Doremi server upgrades/patches. We do this to ensure that the release can be controlled if a severe bug/issue is detected, preventing broader use in the field. We generally regenerate all the licenses and post them two weeks before expiration. So, expect the FTP site to be refreshed soon.

Mike

Comment

Are there any special logins required to install these software packages on Doremis? The manuals do not mention any at all, but...

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Renlund View Post
            Hi everyone,

Dolby does use short-term (approximately three months) licenses for Doremi server upgrades/patches. We do this to ensure that the release can be controlled if a severe bug/issue is detected, preventing broader use in the field. We generally regenerate all the licenses and post them two weeks before expiration. So, expect the FTP site to be refreshed soon.

Mike
            Those systems are all well beyond their extended support, but as the manufacturer, you still should honor your commitment to all the systems that remain running in the field. Having them bricked because some artificial timer expired, while the equipment is still good is not only considered evil, it may even be illegal in quite a few jurisdictions. Why not just issue new certificates/licenses that are valid for another 10-or-so years for those machines? That would at least kick the can down the road beyond all reasonable economical expected lifetime of the equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel Birgelen View Post

Why not just issue new certificates/licenses that are valid for another 10-or-so years for those machines? That would at least kick the can down the road beyond all reasonable economical expected lifetime of the equipment.
              Well - that's what Dolby did?! The new certs are valid through 2038. But that's different from the DLM validity that allows installation of the necessary updates. But as Mike wrote, Dolby is updating those install DLMs when preexisting windows are about to expire. Once you installed the cert extension software, you're (hopefully) fine until 2038.

Comment

Originally posted by Carsten Kurz View Post
                Well - that's what Dolby did?! The new certs are valid through 2038. But that's different from the DLM validity that allows installation of the necessary updates. But as Mike wrote, Dolby is updating those install DLMs when preexisting windows are about to expire. Once you installed the cert extension software, you're (hopefully) fine until 2038.
                Thanks for your explanation and excuse my tl;dr behaviour.

Comment

We are using Sony TMS Ver. 1.6 Doremi IMB Upgrade to 2.8.52. Will TMS not be supported? Does anyone have any experience?

Comment

I do now know of any case in which a SMS software upgrade has broken its interaction with a TMS (Sony or any other), but if you have concerns on that score, they should be directed to Sony.

Comment

I have close to no experience with Sony TMS systems, but from what I have seen in the past, the only thing that would break the collaboration between the TMS and the Doremi would be a change on API.
                      Especially since there is no eS/N or similarly significant characteristic changing.
                      So, if it was on my booth, I would do the upgrade without question, since the other scenario would involve loosing ability to screen encrypted content and wouldn't expect any changes or complaints from the TMS.

Comment

Dolby announces the discontinuation of new TMS license sales effective January 1 next year:

image.png

Comment

Is there a difference between serial numbers ending with just the six numbers (111111) vs the ones ending in 01,02 (111111-01)?

Comment

Originally posted by Devin McNamara View Post
                            Is there a difference between serial numbers ending with just the six numbers (111111) vs the ones ending in 01,02 (111111-01)?
                            Yes, there is. The difference is that the -01, -02, etc denote that the server was repaired to some capacity, and so any serial number must exactly reflect the serial number. If you have serial number 111111-01, you cannot use 111111. If your e-Serial says, 111111-01, always download the files FOR 111111-01.

In truth, I have never seen the previous serial number once the -01, etc serial number came out. (By this, I mean, that it seems that Dolby/Doremi removes 123456 from the site, when 123456-01 is put on the site.)

Comment

I figured that is what that was. That makes sense as to why I can't get this Dolphin and the one I have at home to update. Both have the -01 on the FTP site and both cards are only the plain six numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by Leslie Hartmier
                                The difference is that the -01, -02, etc denote that the server was repaired to some capacity...
                                My understanding is that it means specifically that the media block was recertificated. So if, for example, if a RAM board or a power supply module was replaced, that would not result in a suffix being added to the serial number, because it retained its old certificate.

IMHO, a suffix was a much better idea than what happened with the DSS media blocks when they went back for recertification: the certificates changed, but the serial numbers did not, meaning that the end user found out the hard way that KDMs created using the old serial numbers no longer worked, and that content providers needed to download the new certificates from Dolby, and update their records.

Related to which, Dolby have changed this system slightly for the IMS3000. In the event that one is now sent to Dolby for recertification, the unit's serial number stays the same, but they'll give it a new certificate number as well, which is the original serial with the suffix. Apparently this was because when units were shipped to Dolby from overseas for recertification, the new serial number resulted in their owners being whacked for import duties and/or VAT a second time when it went back, despite this having been paid on the initial import.

https://vimeopro.com/dolbycinemasupp...ideo/651233856

Comment

Working...
                                X