No announcement yet.

CP750 suggested replacements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting. Most of the CP650s I encounter have big red "120V" stickers on the top cover. I always assumed that this indicated separate power supply card models for the USA and Europe.

Comment

@sam chavez I do often get a giggle from customers who have bought the perceived expensive Ovation processor to replace processors that cost twice that amount We have quite a few CP650s feeding film sound into Ovations.
      @Marin thanks for pitching! In my experience over about 6 years now they need to hear it to be convinced. Regarding pricing, since we manufacture in Paris, our cost is unlikely to go down, but I do think we provide good value for the price. The technology in the box is not only advanced but always advancing.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Enticknap View Post
        Interesting. Most of the CP650s I encounter have big red "120V" stickers on the top cover. I always assumed that this indicated separate power supply card models for the USA and Europe.
        Maybe Sam or some other insider can enlighten us. Maybe there are some models with a 120V only main PSU, the ones I've encountered all have a switching main PSU, but the bypass PSU has to be adjusted manually or else an internal fuse will pop. The device will still work, but bypass won't.

Comment

I'm reasonably certain that one can convert between 120V and 230V with relative ease (remove the power supplies, make the conversion and put it back)...that is why there is the sticker on the chassis to denote how it is internally configured (and I believe that the sticker is on the top cover).

Comment

The difference between 220 and 110 Volt versions of 650's comes down to the size of the fuse in the bypass power supply. Most folks don't bother to change it. The main power supply is automatically dual voltage.

Comment

There are two version of power supply in CP650 i know and did repair. One is bigger and better with interlan PFC and will work 110-230V ac without any changes. Other is smaller and with very bad capacitor, but i don't know is it universal.

Comment

Originally posted by Stefan Scholz View Post
                Power supplies are a non Dolby only problem, Mark. Datasat failed quickly, as others do.
                Audiowise the Trinnov is a great solution, if you're not into networked stuff, that I would do these days.
                And the Dolby 950 at least uses off the shelf output cables, and features network audio on the output side, not that bad. But as I had to find out, it's also not a fast workaround, as these units also have lead time of 2 month plus shipping. Wasn't the fast fix, as intended for a bust 650 in a miniplex.
                Actually IMS 3k seems to be a good option, if you're still relying on the DSS show stoppers. Again, no off the shelf item these days.
                I actually NEVER had that many supplies fail, except for Dolby, Just one CP-500 supply failed. In the old days of the 1980's I used to replace CP-50 and of course the CP-100 supply is built on to the right inside wall of the processor. Those all had a certain capacitor that failed. Oh, had a few Smart Devices here and there and never any power suipply problem with those. Of course they did not sound very good in the forst place. . A few failed on XD-10 and lots of Strong Switchers, which I repaired in the shop..

Comment

A little statement from an Ovation fan.
                  I personally can highly recommend the Trinnov OV2!
                  However, I modified our OV2 a bit.
                  I swapped the frequency-limited DACs, so that now all 24 channels are identical.
                  Since our screen and surround speakers are equipped with their own DCP crossovers and plate amplifiers, I was able to have each surround speaker measured individually by the OV2.
                  Thanks to the bass management, it is possible to route the low frequencies of the screen speakers to the LFEs and those of the surround to two subwoofers.
                  Mike Babb from Trinnov gave me a lot of support, thanks Mike.
                  The Ovation has been in operation for two years without any problems. Recently on an IMS3000.
                  So if you have a little desire and skill you can even be a little creative.
                  The sound is actually indescribable.
                  My attempt: crystal clear, neutral, dynamic, fine over a really wide area of ​​the auditorium.
                  The possible surround sound field (5.1, 7.1) is very impressive.
                  I haven't heard anything better yet.

Comment

Thanks Torsten!
                    Just to clarify what Torsten said, originally the Ov1 and Ov2 were hardwire frequency limited in channels 9-11 and 13-15 below about 235hz. This is because we specified these channels for high and mid frequency drivers and had a function that allowed the processor to operate in "bypass" mode in case of computer or internal connection failure. More recently we have changed to allow full range operation in these channels so all channels have identical capability. The "bypass" is now done in software not hardware. It has always been possible to order these processors or retrofit with full range cards, but now it is standard. The two reasons we did this is because Christie Vive was crossed over lower than other brands, and also to allow use of our newish matrix bass management feature on the channels above, because in bi amp systems there were often several channels unused. We are seeing a lot of 7.3, 7.4 and 7.5 bass managed systems to allow for full range playback in surrounds.

Comment

Many years ago when we started doing Digital conversion, we used CP750 and JSD60.
                      The CP750 ran SO HOT, we had to make sure there was ventilation around it, otherwise they would tend to cook themselves. In general, we didn;t use CP750 unless specifically specified, as the heat issue was a good sign they wouldn't last. And they don't. From my understanding, all we installed back then have been replaced due to reliability issues.. The JSD60, have been extremely reliable.
                      The JSD60, even when on, you could not tell as the heat given of was so minimal. Plus power consumption is also minimal. Due to this they tend to last a very long time. The components are not heat stressed.
                      They are also a good basic unit, have everything you need, including IP monitoring from a NOC, and are extremely cost effective.
                      It will be disappointing if they stop making them. Is that official? Only while stocks last?

(Not that I expect to be installing any new cinemas in the near future. Not in this market)

Comment

Nice to hear, James!

Harold
                        part of the JSD-60 design team

Comment

The JSD60 (and the JSD100) is out of production, permanently. "While supplies Last" and even those may be depleted. They do show on the January 2022 price list so there may be some left. And it may be they are located in a different part of the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Guttag View Post
                            The JSD60 (and the JSD100) is out of production, permanently. "While supplies Last" and even those may be depleted. They do show on the January 2022 price list so there may be some left. And it may be they are located in a different part of the world.
                            JSD60, still on QSC website and seemingly available..

What's the suggested replacement of similar functionality and implementation (And price). Q-Sys is great but I find it over complex for basic installs. Plus nothing comes close to the value for money of the JSD60.
                            The DCP 100.. would that be considered the direct replacement for JSD60 from QSC?

Comment

In QSC's mind, the DPM100/DPM300 series would be the direct replacement. The DCP100 has already hit EOL, as I recall. I can understand not thinking of Q-SYS as a replacement for a JSD60 type client. Even with a CORE NANO and DCIO/DICO-H it is going to be more pricey and if the extra flexibility doesn't get the client anything (they JUST want to run 5.1/7.1 movies) a canned solution like a JSD60, DCP100, DPM100 and CP950 can make a lot of financial sense.

Now, I think, if YOU were to go down the Q-SYS path, you'd likely find that it can bring a lot more to the table than just a mindless sound processor as it could help with automation, redundancy (for high reliability)...two of even the baby cores can run 3-4 screens (64 channel capability) so put in two cores in redundant mode and it takes a double failure to bring any theatre down. The baby cores cost less than a JSD anything. Q-SYS scales well.

Also, don't forget about the Trinnov...it is a "canned" processor but it does come with its own auto tune that has a sterling reputation. The CP950 also, via DAD can auto-tune though without the time alignment of the Trinnov.

If you have a theatre down, then what is on the shelf is going to be the "best" processor, regardless.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Guttag View Post
                                The JSD60 (and the JSD100) is out of production, permanently. "While supplies Last" and even those may be depleted.
                                What about GDC XSP-1000? It seems a JSD100 with custom faceplate...

Comment

Working...
                                X