No announcement yet.

CP750 suggested replacements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why output pinout is always problem when comes to replacement with CP950? Strange but i saw many post about that adresses as the issue.......even i like new pinout, rather than old thx style......don't to mention odyssey d/a converter pinout. But it takes 15 minute to resolder db25 connector. I think 950 is logical replacement as it is afordable than ovation for example, quality is decent with relly good audio performance, plus AES67 outputs are big plus when using network amplifiers. When it comes to cinema with classic range of speakers i doubt there will be big difference if using ovation!? But currently stock is problem as we did get delivery time 20weeks i think now, also two month ago for datasat AP25 I've got not about available in first quarter of 22. Here we just got qsc DCM300 available at the moment i think.

Comment

CP950. CP850 and the Ovation 1/2 all used TASCAM pinout which I think is a good thing, although it does differ from older/other processors. As someone said, output cables can be sourced easily.
      Also Marin, not to get into sales mode but the Ov2 does make a difference with any speakers, I'll leave it for people like Pete Naples to say more but a lot of our replacements are in rooms with older gear that stays the same.

Comment

And, the "Tascam" pin out is a standard: AES59-2012.

Comment

From the sublime to the ridiculous, BACP still has stock of new in the box, CP650's, and there's no lead time, except for your payment to clear.

Comment

I was recently in an unused booth at a theater here in San Francisco, and I noticed 2 or 3 CP-750's
            stacked in the corner. When I inquired about them, I was told they all had "dead power supplies".

At another venue where I am spending most of my time now, They've got a Trinnov processor
            and QSC amps. I'm still getting accustomed to the Trinnov, and so far I haven't found anything
            not to like. But it's like getting a new car- - you just have to get used to some of the new features
            and where all the controls are.

We've also got a venerable CP-650 in the rack, to handle 70mm & 35mm sound.
            (DTS, SDDS & 6Trk Magnetic, which I'm told still works, but I've never personally tried it)
            I've always liked the 650's. Never had any problems in any of the booths that I've worked
            at where they've had them.

Comment

The CP750's power supply is a cheap part that is very easy to swap out. The last I knew, they were in stock and available now (unlike the mobo).

Comment

Originally posted by Stefan Scholz View Post
                Power supplies are a non Dolby only problem, Mark. Datasat failed quickly, as others do.
                Audiowise the Trinnov is a great solution, if you're not into networked stuff, that I would do these days.
                And the Dolby 950 at least uses off the shelf output cables, and features network audio on the output side, not that bad. But as I had to find out, it's also not a fast workaround, as these units also have lead time of 2 month plus shipping. Wasn't the fast fix, as intended for a bust 650 in a miniplex.
                Actually IMS 3k seems to be a good option, if you're still relying on the DSS show stoppers. Again, no off the shelf item these days.
                If you mean failure in the datasat players, I have only had to replace three of those power supplies out of a couple hundred players. And I did one for a Film-Tech member who lives on the west coast I did not service any Datasat sound processors. Cp650 has been the most reliable of their line. Although there was a short period where that power supply included the capacitor plague problem. I had a bunch of those and repaired the power supplies in generally about an hour.

Comment

I had an AP20 power supply crap out when I worked at the Egyptian. The unit was only a couple of years old.

Comment

Yup, similar to Dolby, Datasat had a batch of bad ones. Though not as bad as that bad CP750 batch. They did last a few years. As far as I know, the new company owner solved that issue. I mean, once you see defective units coming in, you find the issue and contact the OEM to solve it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Cassedy View Post
                      I was recently in an unused booth at a theater here in San Francisco, and I noticed 2 or 3 CP-750's
                      stacked in the corner. When I inquired about them, I was told they all had "dead power supplies".

At another venue where I am spending most of my time now, They've got a Trinnov processor
                      and QSC amps. I'm still getting accustomed to the Trinnov, and so far I haven't found anything
                      not to like. But it's like getting a new car- - you just have to get used to some of the new features
                      and where all the controls are.

We've also got a venerable CP-650 in the rack, to handle 70mm & 35mm sound.
                      (DTS, SDDS & 6Trk Magnetic, which I'm told still works, but I've never personally tried it)
                      I've always liked the 650's. Never had any problems in any of the booths that I've worked
                      at where they've had them.
                      And less than 5 bucks of capacitors, and about an hours worth of time can repair a power supply too... Dolby SHOULD HAVE started putting in dual power supplies when the 950 was designed. The CP-50, 100 and 200 all could take a backup power supply wired in and ready to go.

Comment

Wasn't there at one time a NATO requirement that sound processors have a backup system? At USL, all our processors had independent bypass circuitry that ran on its own external supply.

Comment

The CP750 does support a redundant, external backup power supply. Since the CP750's main functionality is usually to serve as a DAC for AES inputs from your server, a passive bypass function is probably mostly useless. There was (is?) some UK firm which built an 1U bypass unit specifically for the CP750, it offered some basic bypass functionality for L/R/C and the LFE channel from the AES sources.

Comment

The bypass circuits in the JSD-60 and JSD-100 bridge the AES and analog inputs, do an LCR mix of the selected format, set level according to the fader, then provide the output as analog to left, center, and right. The systems go into bypass if power is turned off (and the external DC supply is connected). Just found that requirement at https://mkpe.com/publications/d-cine...2-1.pdf#page=8 .

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Babb View Post
                              Also Marin, not to get into sales mode but the Ov2 does make a difference with any speakers, I'll leave it for people like Pete Naples to say more but a lot of our replacements are in rooms with older gear that stays the same.
                              True, but i was just saying about that 950 is afordable because cheaper price, but still has enought quality. I tried many times to explain benefits of ov2 and install it but everyone went with cheaper solution.

Comment

Originally posted by Harold Hallikainen View Post
                                The bypass circuits in the JSD-60 and JSD-100 bridge the AES and analog inputs, do an LCR mix of the selected format, set level according to the fader, then provide the output as analog to left, center, and right. The systems go into bypass if power is turned off (and the external DC supply is connected). Just found that requirement at https://mkpe.com/publications/d-cine...2-1.pdf#page=8 .
                                I'm pretty sure the CP750 will not qualify for those requirements without some external help.
                                The CP650 does have a bypass mode and bypass PSU. It downmixes L/C/R into a mono center channel if I remember correctly but won't work with the AES input card...

Also, the bypass PSU needs to be manually switched between 230V and 120V, whereas the primary PSU is auto-swiching.

Comment

Working...
                                X