CP750 suggested replacements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CP750 suggested replacements

We have about 15 screens running the Dolby CP750. I always kept a spare unit as the reliability of them seems not so great. I exchanged a few on RMA and that had worked okay to keep me with a spare unit but now our integrator says Dolby is no longer accepting RMAs on this unit. Yesterday we lost another unit so now I have no more spares and with supply issues the way they are I would like to get myself set up with a spare something or other. Any suggestions on a suitable replacement. We run mostly Dolby DSS200 servers, most are bi amped with QSC DCM10D monitors and we use QSC DCA1644 amps.

What happens to them when they act up. And yes, the 750 is now an old processor, that I first saw in 2004 at a Dolby test site in Salt Lake City.., It seems that power supplies are a common problem, and those can be bought off the shelf and you can switch them out yourself. Hint, The DSS-200's are. also old now...

Comment

Most of them seem to be the power supply issue, dead in the water, no display, no boot. The external "emergency power supply" does not help. I do not have a replacement internal supply to test. I believe there may be some switching or regulating on the motherboard side of things that may get screwed up too rendering the external supply useless. Our integrator just suggested getting a new CP950. Yeah the DSS200s are getting old but keep chugging away except the few that fell victim to the "white screen" and or "timeline" issue. Any thoughts on the CP950 ... or should we stay away from Dolby for a while?

Comment

CP950 is sonically head and shoulders over the CP750, it's had a few software related quirks thus far, but no hardware issues.

My favourite processor these days is the Trinnov Ovation 2, I've had amazing results with those.

Comment

Unfortunately, the CP950 is not a plugin-replacement, cables etc. are not compatible. Not a huge problem, but, if you want to replace dying CP750 as they fail with CP950, you always need to take the necessary cable conversion etc. into account. I guess I would first dig up a replacement internal power supply and see if that fixes at least some of your failures. They are also very easy to fix yourself, Dolby has a technote about them. Not saying that all your CP750 failures are power supply related, but...

You may also buy a CP950, have it installed and configured, so you know what to expect in the future, as the CP950 probably will be the only Dolby processor for the next decade.

Maybe a good strategy is to replace some CP750 with CP950 planned, and keep those working CP750 as quick replacements for sudden failures in other auditoriums.
          Last edited by Carsten Kurz; 11-29-2021, 03:07 PM.

Comment

The CP950 is the "logical" thing to go with after the CP750. Just know, aside from the Dolby name, it shares practically nothing from the CP750. The pinouts are all different, the location of the connectors (right down to the power cord) are different, the software is different...etc. The CP950 also lacks a 6-channel analog input, if you are using yours on the CP750.

As for "canned" processors.

There are:

Dolby CP950 (no multi-channel analog inputs)
            Trinnov OV2
            Datasat AP25 (semi-canned, semi-configurable)
            While supplies last: JSD60, JSD100, DCP100, DPM100 (H) all via QSC
            QSC DCP300 (semi-configurable), DPM300 (H)

Note, the DCP and DPM line also incorporate a monitor and crossovers so the DCM would not be needed. The Dolby CP950 also has its own monitor (for processor out only, not speaker out) as well as crossovers BUT you'll need to use Dolby's DAD program to utilize them.

For non-canned (Configurable DSP)...there are many but the most popular for cinema is QSC's Q-SYS system. My guess is that with the DCM monitor/crossovers, you are probably not going to be interested in Q-SYS to drive DCA amplifiers as that could get quite pricey if one were to want Dataport outputs form Q-SYS.

Comment

I'm in the same boat - just had one succumb to level drop disease, and apparently no replacement mobos are available any time soon. It uses the multi-channel analog input and there is no way around using it that doesn't involve completely tearing out everything in the rack and starting over, which rules out a 950. My original thought was a Q-Sys core and DCIO, but again, the lead time for those is months. It's looking like a Trinnov at this point.

Comment

Ideally, I'd say I'd go for Q-Sys and DCIO, but like Leo indicated, the availability of those are currently not guaranteed and you may be waiting for months. Also, it will be even less of a drop-in replacement than a CP950.

As for the CP950, current availability seems to be OK-ish. Besides shuffling around the in- and outputs, the biggest issue is the lack of a 6-channel analog input. If none of your screens need this feature, then you should be fine. Also, the CP950 allows for an upgrade path to Atmos, although this essentially requires a redesign of the entire B-Chain.

I've heard good things about the Trinnov OV2, which may be more of a drop-in replacement than the Dolby's CP950. I don't know anything about availability in current market conditions though.

As for the Datasat AP25: Good processor, but ever since Datasat became ATI, I'm no longer convinced about the long-term support of their products.

Comment

A JSD60 would be close to a drop-in replacement, in terms of feature set.

Trinnov Ovation is a great sounding processor. If you go for the Trinnov, consider whether your screen channels are biamped or not. If they are, replace your booth monitor too and have the Trinnov handle the crossovers.

Or, IMS3000 with a 5.1/7.1 license -- upgrade your server and processor in one go.

Comment

Waiting on an IMS3000 here...so again, for fast solutions, DPM100/300, DCP100/300 (since the 100s are "EOL" that means that if they haven't sold out, they are "in-stock." The same with the JSD60/JSD100. Note, The JSD60, if you are a 7.1 theatre, is missing 2-channels though you can sort of support the ADA stuff externally.

For the most part, as Q-SYS Corner would indicate, I'm going to see if Q-SYS solves an issue that may be having. Another factor on Q-SYS is the learning curve. It, like other full DSP solutions, are going to require getting into how they work, specifically, be it QSC, Biamp, Yamaha, Symmetric...etc. With the canned solutions, one's learning curve is going to be MUCH smaller, as will one's flexibility. But that is what you get with a canned solution...it's canned.

Comment

Originally posted by John Thomas
                      Or, IMS3000 with a 5.1/7.1 license -- upgrade your server and processor in one go.
                      Only an option if you don't need analog inputs and your power amps can accept AES or Atmos Connect.

Comment

Just to add to Marcel's post, we currently have stock of the Trinnov Ovation2 in the Paris office with more coming in weekly from the factory. Shipping is running about a month, not because of stock issues but because we have so many orders in Pro, High End and Cinema markets all at once, our staff is busier than they have ever been. The worldwide chip shortage has an interesting effect when you still have parts and stock.

Comment

I absolutely second the Trinnov. Best sounding processor you can get right now. I can't wait for CP-950 power supplies to start conking out!!! I'm counting the days, crappy power supplies have been a Dolby hallmark since the CP-50!..A fact that even Dolby themselves can't deny... .Also, GDC offers a version of their IMB serve3r with a built in audio processor. Since you will also need new servers pretty soon as well,. Looking into that may save you a lot of money over the number of screens in your complex.. Oh, and there is also Q-sys from QSC..It requires a trained technician to install..or repair...

Comment

Power supplies are a non Dolby only problem, Mark. Datasat failed quickly, as others do.
                            Audiowise the Trinnov is a great solution, if you're not into networked stuff, that I would do these days.
                            And the Dolby 950 at least uses off the shelf output cables, and features network audio on the output side, not that bad. But as I had to find out, it's also not a fast workaround, as these units also have lead time of 2 month plus shipping. Wasn't the fast fix, as intended for a bust 650 in a miniplex.
                            Actually IMS 3k seems to be a good option, if you're still relying on the DSS show stoppers. Again, no off the shelf item these days.

Comment

From what I've gathered, the CP750 faces two different, frequent problems, one is a failing PSU and the other one is a "level dropoff" problem. A workaround for a failing internal PSU is the CAT994Z-1, which is the "redundant external PSU", which is the internal PSU in a box. The level-dropoff problem isn't PSU related and can only be solved by either recapping the motherboard by hand or by swapping it. Recapping a CP750 motherboard is a pretty time consuming process, I've done so myself, successfully, as a hobby project.

As for those who go for an IMS3000 with 5.1/7.1 license: What DAC solution do you use to connect analog amplifiers?

Comment

Working...
                              X