No announcement yet.

IMB error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had one bad tamper switch on an NC-900 that took ages to find. It was the switch at the front of the chassis for the front (lens area) panel.
    The switch was physically OK, contact was being made, resistance seemed to indicate the circuit was closing when switch depressed etc, but the projector just would not accept it and I couldn't clear the tamper. After swapping this switch with another one, the problem went away, and the 'bad' switch worked just fine in the other projector I had swapped it from, so I left them swapped and never heard another issue from either of them...

Comment

I actually had a similar thing happen today. I was helping a customer install a new lens into one of his 900's. He powered it all back up and we had the usual door tamper error. It could not be cleared and turns out he also had not rotated the lens quite all the way to lock it in place. So, after that was rectified the projector was powered back up only to find that there were now three errors... the usual door tamper error, an IMB "Unmarried error, and an IMB Door tamper error as well. However, using the side panel to clear the errors, they all cleared and the tail lights went green. It will be interesting to see if any of them return. BTW, I did not see any button in DCC to clear the errors. There is a reset button for Lamp Hours, but that's about it.

Comment

Loging in with a privileged account in DCC should acknowledge the errors and allow them to automatically clear, once the underlying problem has been resolved. If they don't clear themselves or pop up again after a short period of time, the problem is still there.

I guess the thing about needing to log in with an "admin" account is because some privileged person has at least seen and acknowledged the existence of the errors, so the cause can be investigated if they're not expected.

Comment

Originally posted by Armand Daguillon
          I FINALLY got a hold of my local tech and he said its a simple fix that he sees all the time, he said he just needs to "bend a phlange" a bit because there is poor contact being made on that tamper switch.
          If you mean the steel blade that actually pushes the plastic nipple protruding from the microswitch assembly, there are two gotchas with that: if you bend it too much and it breaks, you're buggered, and if you need to increase the pressure on the switch in the first place, it likely indicates that the switch itself is starting to go bad. This might be a temporary workaround to get you through a couple of shows until the switch can be replaced, but it isn't a permanent fix.

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel Birgelen View Post
            Loging in with a privileged account in DCC should acknowledge the errors and allow them to automatically clear, once the underlying problem has been resolved. If they don't clear themselves or pop up again after a short period of time, the problem is still there.

I guess the thing about needing to log in with an "admin" account is because some privileged person has at least seen and acknowledged the existence of the errors, so the cause can be investigated if they're not expected.
            Nope, Logging in on the 900 in admin does not reset the tamper error.. Tried that just yesterday. Logging in is the first thing I always do when I look at any problems. .

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Enticknap View Post

If you mean the steel blade that actually pushes the plastic nipple protruding from the microswitch assembly, there are two gotchas with that: if you bend it too much and it breaks, you're buggered, and if you need to increase the pressure on the switch in the first place, it likely indicates that the switch itself is starting to go bad. This might be a temporary workaround to get you through a couple of shows until the switch can be replaced, but it isn't a permanent fix.
              Ever siunce they took the lead out of switches they never last very long...

Comment

Not Pb, Cd. Cadmium.

Comment

An interesting article on the effects of cadmium on the human body....
                  Cadmium (Cd) has been in industrial use for a long period of time. Its serious toxicity moved into scientific focus during the middle of the last century. In this review, we discuss historic and recent developments of toxicological and epidemiological questions, including exposition sources, resorption pathways and organ damage processes.

Comment

I don't know about you but I keep the licking of electrical and electronic components to just 9V batteries and have never licked the internals of switches or relays!

Interesting IMB/ICP fan story this week.

The projector: NC2000C. The ICP fan went out. Upon changing it, it threw the normal Marriage tamper (only way to get to the fan is to take boards out). The server is a Dolby DSS200 with CAT745. The normal credentials were used and that cleared the IMB marriage and the server was happy as a clam and would show movies but the projector still showed its red taillights. The notice was Physical Marriage Tamper. Tried it again...same results.

Then it dawned on me, this projector had an SDI based server before and still had its Enigma! Cleared the Enigma Marriage and all was good! Why leave the Enigma on the DVI board (aka Legacy Board)...because there are other NC2000Cs in the complex still using them and this projector can keep it's Enigma charged, if needed. It had been so long that the presence of the Enigma had been forgotten.
                    Last edited by Steve Guttag; 05-13-2021, 05:35 AM.

Comment

On the NEC just tell the projector that the legacy board is the non enigma and the machine will be happy

Comment

This one actually balked at that. It "knows" the Enigma is there.

Comment

If you do that (change the option slot setting from NC-80LB, the board with the Enigma card on it, to NC-80DS, the version without), will it continue to charge the Enigma when the card cage is powered up? Unless the Enigma is already hosed and you want to get rid of the resulting red tail light, I can't think of an argument for doing this. Though, as Steve discovered (and so have I, a few times), you do have to remember to clear the tampers on both the Enigma and the IMB.

Comment

This one didn't want to let me change the Option slot to DS (and I was in Standby). There is no reason this Enigma would be bad (and evidently not or it wouldn't clear the marriage tamper. This is probably why it was still as a LB...I came upon it before when the server switched to an IMB, years ago.

Comment

Interesting. I've had to do this (change the option slot selection to hide the existence of an Enigma that had gone bad) twice. On both occasions, coincidentally, the projector was a 3240. Worked fine both times. Maybe it'll let you do that if the Enigma has gone bad, but not if it is still good?

Comment

So, what was the rectification for this fault?
                                I just landed the same fault on a NC1000C. Reseated the IMB and gave the IMB tamper switch many pushes to hopefully clear a possible issue. Nothing. (Yes did all the security button codes, re-marraged.. Ended up in the exact same place. Yes marriage came through just fine)

The log file indicates,
                                Security Status:
                                Security enclosure Armed
                                Marriage Active
                                Service Door Tamper

I am not sure it's a physical tamper switch issue as, from my understanding... based on the attached IMAGE, you should get an error, indicating the switch that is faulting in the logs.
                                I have no entry indicating a specific tamper switch. Only the "586 : IMB:Service Door Tamper"

The manual indicates, if you remove the front or side cover this error will appear. See the attached grab from the manual.
                                I will look at having the front cover and tamper fiddled with. The side tamper would have been open and closed again when reseating the IMB, but I didn't give it a fiddle.

In reading this thread, it indicated there could be a tamper switch on the IMB itself? NEC based IMS2000 in this case.

Apart from the suggestion to replace a motherboard (Which motherboard) in this thread, I didn't see how the original issue was rectified.
                                Does anyone know what exactly is the cause of this error? Consider the circumstances explained above?

(Christmas holidays is not the time for problems like this.. Doh!)

image.png

image.png
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X