IMB error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Marcel Birgelen View Post
    AFAIK that's the generic "Tamper error" and it could both be from the front or side cover or from an incorrectly seated module. Did you try to just open and close the side and front cover already?
    Yes, opened and closed all panels and reseated all the boards including IMB. Re-married IMB and then clicked "door closed" - lights go green, then within a half hour tamper error comes back.
    There is nothing in the DCC i should be doing to clear this also correct ? Only through the IMB config ?

Thanks !

Comment

I'm not sure if the tamper error on the NEC 900C clears itself. I think you still need to log-in to DCC with a privileged user to clear the error.

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel Birgelen View Post
        I'm not sure if the tamper error on the NEC 900C clears itself. I think you still need to log-in to DCC with a privileged user to clear the error.
        I have a privileged login on the DCC, I dont see anything there to clear a tamper error. However, if I clear it in the IMB config first then go to DCC and hit "refresh" where it shows the error it all goes "green" in the DCC - however within 30 minutes its back again. Very frustrating I was told earlier in this thread that it could need a motherboard changed out. That sounds super horrible. lol I'm hoping to exhaust all other possibilities first. So if you have any other ideas please let me know - Thanks

Comment

If you did all that, then I guess we indeed can conclude there is a hardware problem somewhere. It still doesn't mean it's the motherboard, it could still just be a switch that breaks contact... If you don't dare to fiddle with those switches yourself, I guess it's best to get a service tech over there and have a look at the machine.

Comment

Did you check the tamper switch that gets pressed in when you insert the IMB?

Comment

Originally posted by Leslie Hartmier View Post
              Did you check the tamper switch that gets pressed in when you insert the IMB?
              Its my understanding that if it was that switch, I would not be able to marry the IMB.
              I'm trying to call in our local tech, because i'm not willing to go any further taking it all apart - but so far I have not been able to get a hold of them. I hope they are still in business.

Thanks everybody !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Armand Daiguillon View Post

Its my understanding that if it was that switch, I would not be able to marry the IMB.
                I'm trying to call in our local tech, because i'm not willing to go any further taking it all apart - but so far I have not been able to get a hold of them. I hope they are still in business.
                Indeed, you shouldn't be able to marry the IMB if that switch fails to engage. That's why, if there is a simple hardware problem (as in, a defective switch or loose contact), it has to be one of the door/panel switches.

If your service tech has, unfortunately, gone out of business, I guess you should be able to find one on this very forum that also services the south-eastern parts of Florida. If not, you can always call NEC as last resort and have them refer a service partner to you.

Comment

I don't remember there being a door tamper button in DCC, just the re-marriage button. But I can tell you that it could be any number of other switches or sensors not located behind the front panel. There are also switches under the two lamp covers as well. The door tamper is cleared by holding down the Menu Button on the side control panel and entering a code. There is an interface board in NEC's that all the switches and buttons, sensors, etc connect to, on NC-2000's it is right behind the front panel located on the chassis (Photo). And that board could be bad. I don't remember if the board is in a similar place in the 900 or not. I have had so little trouble with the 300+ NEC projectors I have installed that I have been inside less than six of the 900's... most of the the problems with the 900 were lens mount issues and lamps prematurely failing. The only way you're going to track this down is by looking at the Errors numbers that should be displayed in DCC in the "Info" Box. Also, there are lots of Techs in Florida that could work on it.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Mark Gulbrandsen; 05-07-2021, 01:59 AM.

Comment

Maybe Carsten can ring in, because I remember him having a NC900C under active duty, but from what I remember, the machine doesn't require the pass-code to recover from a simple tamper error. Logging in to DCC with a privileged user should be sufficient.

According to the manual I have on file here, the 486 error indicates Cover removed: Front Cover, Side Cover. I don't know if the switches under the lamp cover generate a tamper error, most likely they trigger their own distinctive error. Tamper errors are primarily for DCI security purposes, making sure you didn't fudge with it while playing protected content. Maybe it will impair the airflow a bit, but I guess that the machine could work fine without the covers installed.

Comment

Well, the lamp covers are the most commonly removed covers, then the lens cover. And if there were any previous lamp explosions it may be that shards of glass are interfering with any switches at that location from fully seating.. I seem to remember some switch under the lamp cover though. It may just be there to disarm the ballast from starting that lamp. I know that you can replace a lamp while the projector is on an d doing a show, because I have done it, but that you can not start that lamp until you clear the old one to zero hours and reboot the projector. I have also had NEC's shut down because air filters are clogged. But the error number reflects a high temp on some board or sensor and the codes will reflect where it's at,

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Gulbrandsen View Post
                        I don't remember there being a door tamper button in DCC, just the re-marriage button. But I can tell you that it could be any number of other switches or sensors not located behind the front panel. There are also switches under the two lamp covers as well. The door tamper is cleared by holding down the Menu Button on the side control panel and entering a code. There is an interface board in NEC's that all the switches and buttons, sensors, etc connect to, on NC-2000's it is right behind the front panel located on the chassis (Photo). And that board could be bad. I don't remember if the board is in a similar place in the 900 or not. I have had so little trouble with the 300+ NEC projectors I have installed that I have been inside less than six of the 900's... most of the the problems with the 900 were lens mount issues and lamps prematurely failing. The only way you're going to track this down is by looking at the Errors numbers that should be displayed in DCC in the "Info" Box. Also, there are lots of Techs in Florida that could work on it.
                        Hello,

I was not aware that the error had to be cleared at the projector by pressing down menu button as well. I had only tried clearing through IMB interface and DCC. I will try this as soon as I get back into the theater.

Thanks

Comment

Hello,

I was not aware that the error had to be cleared at the projector by pressing down menu button as well. I had only tried clearing through IMB interface and DCC. I will try this as soon as I get back into the theater.

Thanks
                          The IMB remarriage should clear any errors from removing that. If you open a door like the front or top where there are key locks, then it is cleared through the side panel controls. Hold the Menu button down and then enter the 4 digit code using the channel select keypad. Press enter and that clears the error(s). Due to NEC Disclaimers I can not post any of the passwords here. But a call to NEC should ge4t you those. . .

Comment

Perhaps that is only for other models, after the last post I realized that I should not need a passcode for the projector to clear this error. I have removed IMB's before (and had to remove panels) once everything was back in place simply remarrying and clicking "door closed" removed the tamper error. GDC tech support said the same thing, that I should not have to do anything on the projector and that IMB would remove the error, sine that was not happening they said it was probably a physical issue in the projector.
                            I FINALLY got a hold of my local tech and he said its a simple fix that he sees all the time, he said he just needs to "bend a phlange" a bit because there is poor contact being made on that tamper switch. He says its common on these and he'll be in to fix soon. If its anything else I'll post here for everybody's info.

Thanks !!

Comment

Indeed, like I indicated before, the NC900C doesn't require a passcode to clear the tamper error, while most other NEC models do require it. Why they changed the procedure for the NC900, I'm not sure, I guess they anticipated the machine to be installed into less-accessible spaces, so they made it easier to clear the tamper error?

Comment

Perhaps that is only for other models, after the last post I realized that I should not need a passcode for the projector to clear this error. I have removed IMB's before (and had to remove panels) once everything was back in place simply remarrying and clicking "door closed" removed the tamper error. GDC tech support said the same thing, that I should not have to do anything on the projector and that IMB would remove the error, sine that was not happening they said it was probably a physical issue in the projector.
                                I FINALLY got a hold of my local tech and he said its a simple fix that he sees all the time, he said he just needs to "bend a phlange" a bit because there is poor contact being made on that tamper switch. He says its common on these and he'll be in to fix soon. If its anything else I'll post here for everybody's info.

Thanks !!
                                That's exactly what I said. " The IMB remarriage should clear any errors from removing that." But the top and the front do need to be cleared. Also, I never had to bend any switch tangs even after 30+ NC-900 installations. They all have GDC SX-3000 in them.

Comment

Working...
                                X