Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IMB error

Hello,

I'm having an annoying issue that's been popping up. I turned off the projector in one of my auditoriums for a few days because the air conditioning has been broken, when I turned it back on (Nec 900C with GDC sx3000) I get an error saying "IMB door tamper". Now I did not open anything on the projector so I dont know where this error is coming from....
    I cleared the error by logging in and it was fine - then a few hours later the error came back again.
    Any idea what I can specifically check on to make this go away permanently ?

THANKS !!

Carefully pull and re-seat all modules. Also while you have each module out before reseating,, check it's tamper switch. Make sure there is\ a clear distinct click. I never had a bad tamper switch in an NEC, but anything is possible.

Comment

Indeed sounds like a possible wonky tamper switch. Might be temperature related, but most likely just bad luck. Reseating all modules should be the first thing on the list. Fortunately, the error itself is non-fatal, still, if it doesn't go away, you should consider replacing the tamper switch itself.

Comment

On NEC900s, I've had to "pad" the piece that pushes in on the tamper switch (a piece of packing foam). Some of the face plates just don't push the switch in far enough or it is right on the line. I've never had the problem once I add the padding. BTW...what is the specific error it is putting out (and is it the server or the projector that complains). There is a "door" tamper and there is a marriage tamper. If the projector thinks that the server is being removed, it will be a marriage tamper. The IMB "door" needs to be reset in the IMB itself (behind the configuration button). There are two buttons in the IMB section. One is to close the door, the other is to remarry the IMB to the projector. The door has to be closed first.

Comment

Bad things always seem to happen when I turn the projectors off completely (which I did because no A/C in that auditorium and cant afford to fix for a week or two)

So I removed and reseated the IMB and everything in each slot above and pushed them all back in (seemingly) securely.
          Removing IMB gave marriage error - but I remarried and that error went right away.
          But the "tamper door" now will not go away at all .... before it would go away and then come back. Now it wont go away at all no matter how many time i click "close".

Needing padding was mentioned above - where is the sensor that is not feeling contact ?
          I'm concerned now because even though A/C is still down, knowing the projector wont play regardless freaks me out ...

All help appreciated !!

Thanks.

Comment

If you pull the IMB out (or out far enough, on the back side of the face plate of the IMB will be a collar or other protrusion to engage the switch. On the projector side, you'll just see the metal lever of the switch (on the right side of the card cage , near where the card screws into the cage) exposed through a hole. Note, if you can clear the marriage, then the switch isn't your problem (you can't marry an IMB with that switch claiming the IMB isn't there.

Comment

Its the "Service door" tamper error that wont clear. Where is the trigger for that ? Everything seems firmly in place ....

Thanks!

Comment

I've never had a bad tamper switch in a 900, but I've had one each in a 1000, 1040L and 1100L. Someone at Dolby told me that tamper switches going bad or accidentally being damaged are the single biggest cause of their IMSes malfunctioning when installed in NEC projectors.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Guttag View Post
                  On NEC900s, I've had to "pad" the piece that pushes in on the tamper switch (a piece of packing foam). Some of the face plates just don't push the switch in far enough or it is right on the line. I've never had the problem once I add the padding. BTW...what is the specific error it is putting out (and is it the server or the projector that complains). There is a "door" tamper and there is a marriage tamper. If the projector thinks that the server is being removed, it will be a marriage tamper. The IMB "door" needs to be reset in the IMB itself (behind the configuration button). There are two buttons in the IMB section. One is to close the door, the other is to remarry the IMB to the projector. The door has to be closed first.
                  Can you tell me where exactly I can put this padding to make better connection on the "service door tamper" ?
                  Projector is inoperable right now

Thanks !

Comment

I put it right in the hole that reveals the tamper switch and then push the IMB/Server back in.

Comment

Hi at the end of 2019 and a month ago a friend had the same problem and ended up changing the mother board of NEC NC900, it was the same error that you described , got married and closed the door minutes later an error service door tamper error, he closed the door again, it worked for a few minutes and the error again, until he could no longer eliminate the error, he changed the marriage switch and the problem continued until he exchanged the mother board from another projector and the problem was solved. If you have already checked all the switches, as Steve mentioned installing packing foam to make a better contact in the marriage switch and door switch it still does not work, try exchanging the motherboard if you have another projector on site.

Comment

I put it right in the hole that reveals the tamper switch and then push the IMB/Server back in.
                        If its the switch on the IMB wouldn't it not allow me to marry it ? Is there another sensor somewhere else that it could be ? This specifically says "Tamper Door" - not IMB. Im thinking that the IMB is well seated and its switch is in place because it allows the marriage. I'm hoping its a switch somewhere else ? Are there other switches that affect the specific "door tamper" error ? And I hope its not a mother board replace - I really cant afford that. lol - I can barely keep the lights on !!! - Thanks all

Comment

If it is the projector that has the door tamper, there is normally a parameter number with the tamper error to indicate which door it has a problem with.

Comment

If it is the projector that has the door tamper, there is normally a parameter number with the tamper error to indicate which door it has a problem with.
                            Its error code "586" - IMB Service door tamper"

I took the panels off and put them back on 3 times, and now when I clear the error in the GDC configuration, it does clear, but then the error comes back an hour later, ... and all because I turned off the projector for a few days !!

Comment

AFAIK that's the generic "Tamper error" and it could both be from the front or side cover or from an incorrectly seated module. Did you try to just open and close the side and front cover already?

Comment

Working...
                              X