X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SUBTITLES problem with Alchemy/Barco DP2K-10S

Hello guys.
    I need your help (again):

Some weeks ago we started using our DP2K-10S regularly and last week we projected the film "1917" named as ES-ES-ES. As it's indicated, some scenes had spanish subtitles (french girl scene, e.g.) but all what we found in the projected screen was these white lines:

PHOTO-2020-01-26-22-06-27.jpg

This was a 4K SMPTE DCP.

I tryed to check with communicator software what's up with subtitles but I found that the subtitles tab was missing!!!:

IMG_6438.jpg

Any idea???

Do I need any firmware/software update???? How can I get it (and installation procedure, if possible)???
    (I asked twice to cinionic people but still no answer)

Actual ICMP version is:
    Model: ICMP-01
    Version: 1.3.1.8.17895

Communicator software version is: 5.11.0

Another ISSUE with our old DP3000+Qube XPD with the same film (and version file) is that they didn't show subtitles at all, but this time cinoinic people sent us an a DP3000 software update but we didn't installed it yet (as it need to make some lens switchs adjustments before installing it). This system shown subtitles without problems with InterOP DCPs. Hope these updates will solve this.

Thanks!!!!

JuanJo

I'm assuming that the DP2K-10S is on the current firmware version (1.14.175, released January 8, 2020)? If not, I'd update that as a first step.

The firmware version in the Alchemy is very old (released on November 27, 2017). As noted in the SP4K thread, the current version, 1.4.2.7, has some significant bugs identified in it, with the result that Cinionic's US helpdesk, at any rate, is not recommending that it be installed.

If you don't need to do automated switching between HDMI and DCP (i.e. by IP command from another device), then I'd suggest installing 1.4.2.6. None of my customers have reported any other problems with it. If you do, I'd suggest 1.4.2.1. To download them, you need to register on myBarco, or, if they won't let you as an end user, ask the dealer who sold you the Alchemy for a copy.

My gut feeling is that updating the Alchemy will fix this. Because the ICP is integrated into the package, subtitle handling is all handled within the Alchemy, hence no separate tab in Communicator for adjusting the ICP's subtitle rendering options. If it doesn't, I'd suggest opening a support ticket with Cinionic.

Comment

As I see we need to update everything.

I was registered in "mybarco" some years ago, but they cancelled my register as final user, so this way don't work for me...

The Alchemy (and the whole system including the DP2K-10S) was sold by BARCO itself as a refurbished unit 2 years ago for a busines project that didn't work, and we stored it for these 2 years while looking for a new busines project. We never upgraded it. It's time to do it.

I will try to contact these people to see if they would provide these firmwares updates.

Thanks!!

Comment

I have seen these distorted subtitles on our ICMP as well. I reported this a while back here, and Tom Bert from Barco confirmed this was a known issue then. It does only occur under some special scaling conditions, though, so, you may find a workaround. I should be able to find the thread in the old forum where I reported this. The format I had to set up causing the issue was for La-La-Land and a 2:1 screen, which is an unusual aspect ratio combo. I never had to do this again, and I don't have a KDM for that DCP to test it with more recent ICMP software versions. I did monitor all ICMP software revisions though and never saw this specific issue mentioned. So, I am not sure wether it has been fixed. I may need to try this with a test DCP.

If you need the current ICMP and 10S software, I think you still have my mail address, otherwise, contact me through the forum message function.

'1917' is SMPTE DCP and may contain encrypted SMPTE/MXF subtitles. The DP3000 certainly needs to be on the latest software to support SMPTE subtitles. I think you also need to be a bit lucky and have one of the more recent board sets in it. Plus, the XPD needs to support SMPTE subtitles as well.

- Carsten

edit: it's here http://www.film-tech.com/ubb/f16/t003103.html
        Last edited by Carsten Kurz; 02-11-2020, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Thanks Carten (again and again)

I have your email adress, but I didn't wanted bother you again. Yes, I need the current (working) ICMP ans 10S firmware/software. I will write to you this morning.

This week (from Friday) we start showing a film with subtitles again
          Adu_FTR_S_ES-ES_ES_51_2K_PC_20191211_DSP_IOP_OV
          but I think this time subtitles will work OK because this time it's a IOP 2K film.
          We don't have the KDM yet to test it...

Originally posted by Carsten Kurz View Post
          '1917' is SMPTE DCP and may contain encrypted SMPTE/MXF subtitles. The DP3000 certainly needs to be on the latest software to support SMPTE subtitles. I think you also need to be a bit lucky and have one of the more recent board sets in it. Plus, the XPD needs to support SMPTE subtitles as well.
          I asked QUBE people and they told me that our XPD can handle SMPTE subtitles as they must be in MXF format, so I hope that doing the fimrware update in our DP3000 can solve this.
          This week we are showing the same DCP I told you before with this system too, and hope not having problems with subtitles as it's an IOP DCP. We need to wait the KDM to test it.

Regards

JuanJo

Comment

Hi Juan,

check your mail. I would love to hear from you if the software upgrades immediately cure the issue. If not, you may need to play a bit with the scaling options. We will play 1917 from tomorrow on, but I am not sure wether we will receive a KDM for a subtitled version. Otherwise, I could test on our Barco/ICMP.

Comment

You can install the DP3000 software and adjust the lens switches later, just don't try a home/return before they are set up correctly. It's strange that Barco put these switches in but never set them up at the factory.
              There's no way to control subtitles on an ICMP (that I know of), if a clip is OCAP they should just play, and in-clip subs (as when a character speaks German in an English movie) have not been a problem for me. There is no way to process CCAP subs and show them on screen with the ICMP.

Comment

Originally posted by Carsten Kurz View Post
                Hi Juan,

check your mail. I would love to hear from you if the software upgrades immediately cure the issue. If not, you may need to play a bit with the scaling options. We will play 1917 from tomorrow on, but I am not sure wether we will receive a KDM for a subtitled version. Otherwise, I could test on our Barco/ICMP.
                Hello Carsten and everybody.

ABOUT THE DP2K10 + ALchemy:

I received your help through email but I didn't installed yet because I had no time enought to do it and to look for instructions to do it (I saw an "update" tag in the communicator soft, this must be the way to do it).

But I have some news that can help any other with subtitles problems:
                As Carsten said, playing with the scalling options, using the shortcuts for flat and scope settings (instead the manual settings) I solved it.

That was not a SMPTE or IOP problem, or 2K vs 4K DCPs problem, the problem was that we were using the flat settings for scope films (as this auditurium has a 16:9 screen so we let the scope films shown with the flat settings and everything worked ok until the first subtitled film). That was all.

ABOUT THE DP3000 sub issue:

I didn't upgraded it (same reasons as before), but we shown a new IOP subtitled films and NO PROBLEM at all, so the problem is with SMPTE subtitled DCPs. So I need to upgrade it (as Dave indicated: not doing the lens switches adjust).
                In this projector we are experiencing problems now with an Osram 4000W lamp (with 600 hours and giving a good and stable light). during a lot of days it starts at the first strike, but some days it refuses to start . Yesterday I spent 15 minutes of tries and finally it started after 30 or 40 tries (each try have 4 strikes itself).
                This morning I tryed again and it started at the first try . Maybe it's a SPG problem or a lamp problem

Thanks everybody and special to Carsten, who has allways the solution to my problems!!

Regards
                JuanJo

Comment

Hi Juan,

upgrading with Communicator/Barco upgrade companion is quite easy, and from my experience, very safe - you don't have to follow any version sequence. Just make sure you select the proper package type. You should also update both projector and ICMP. Upgrade companion (called from within Communicator) will allow you to see existing version, future version, look into release notes, step back and forward, and cancle the upgrade at many stages throughout the process if you feel uneasy.

- Carsten

Comment

Hello Dave, Carsten and all the film-tech friends:

Maybe you remember we had some subtitles issues in our Barco DP3000 and Qube QXPD projection system (no subtitles played)
                    That was on February 2020.
                    Our cinema has been open and closed intermittently and this week we finally decided to make our BARCO DP3000 upgrade (both, projector and TI) as you (and CINIONIC Guys) recommended, even we made the END stops switches adjust and everything was OK…. But…. When we tried to play any content from the QXPD we found the player was disconnected from the Projector and we found this message:

PHOTO-2021-09-28-19-04-02.jpg

And the server can’t play any content as we did 3 weeks ago.
                    We can ping both the projector and the TI IPs from the server with no problems, so there is network connectivity, but
                    It seems that the new firmware installed make the projector to use some kind of TLS/SSL certificates that the QXPD server can’t handle.
                    All IPs numbers are not changed from the firmware update and worked with no problems before…

Maybe the solution is to Downgrade to the previous TI firmware Ver 14.0.48 (new TI firmware installed is 15.X.XX, don´t remember exact version in this moment)

Any idea to solve this?

Thanks

JuanJo
                    Attached Files

Comment

Given that you've ruled out a networking problem, the most likely explanation is that the TLS certificate has been corrupted in the TI board during the upgrade process. There is a way, using the Series 1 TI tool, to check to see if the certificate is there and valid (you try to download it, and if that gives you an error message, that's your problem). I'm afraid that I no longer have any Series 1 projectors among my regular service "patients," meaning that I can't jump on Teamviewer and grab some screenshots for you.

There is a certificate recovery procedure. I believe that Cinionic has a zip file containing the software tool and a cheat sheet of instructions. You could try emailing them and asking for it. If they no longer offer it, I can try looking through my software archive for it when I'm next at a computer that gives me access to it (likely tomorrow evening). I've done it a few times (though not for about two years now), and it always worked for me.

Comment

Thanks Leo.
                        this TÍ tool to check the certificate maybe is the software we used for the upgrade?
                        (I will check his name as soon as I return to Cinema.
                        thanks

Comment

I have zero experience with those Cube systems, but have you checked if there is a firmware update available for your Cube system? Maybe TI kicked TLS 1.0 out of their compatibility list in that firmware upgrade and your server is still trying to connect using TLS 1.0. TLS 1.0 and 1.1 have both been deprecated years ago.

Comment

Thanks Marcel!
                            As far as I know, I have the last QUBE firmware (released years ago) but I will check it.
                            The question is if a firmware upgrade of the TÍ card (as we did yesterday) changes their TLS certificate for a new (and newer version) one.
                            if yes, then a TI “downgrade” should work for us.

thanks

Comment

Juan - do you have access to MyBarco for software updates, docs, etc.?

Comment

Working...
                              X