No announcement yet.

DOLBY IMS 2000 Stuck ingest progress that can not be deleted or canceled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With no Presidential debates and no new releases in cinema, really, you guys should start a show about this, with special segments like "Two Sides, one Opinion". Really, it would easily beat all of the boring Zoom meetings or other on-line "seminars" I've seen in the last months.

Comment

Dolby's chief value has always been in intellectual property
      It went way beyond just being intellectual property Steve.. What they did literally transformed and advanced a number of important major US industries. Not many companies past or present can lay claim to that fame.

Now, I can state, as for customer service, yeah, Dolby was second to none there too.
      In spite of how much of their product I sold and installed going back to 1986, that definitely was not my experience there with customer service until Mike Renlund arrived on scene... or earlier on if you got a hold of Lonnie. If the issue you were calling about was not in Norm's data base then that was that, In the same time period USL in fact beat the pants off of Dolby in that regard. Dolby offended so many of Claco's customers back when SRD came out, that most ended up going with DTS and USL.

Comment

Lonny and I were both at Dolby in 1990 thru '94 in my case, and I don't recall us pissing Claco off during that time. Agree about Norm but he got way better after there was no Lonny to go to. Even Sam Hynds managed to piss a few people off during his time.

Comment

I am thinking about re-imaging the original USB-Flash disk in the ShowVault (currently disconnected), but am still wondering why the USB-Bootstick I created seems to be incomplete? How is that possible using dd if=/dev/sdg of=/dev/sdh ?
          Bad copying due to USB-stick’s issues or reading errors that didn’t show at the end of the execution?
          I once or twice used the dd command to back up a DCP2000 or ShowVault.
          The only complaint I got in using such an image on another such server was that regarding the certificates, that I often could grasp from a previous log package. Doremi had (I am not sure about if Dolby has now, but I guess) the certificates available for download in case…

Another thing that is not mentioned from whomever mentioned that USB image that might pose a problem with boot or update, is what USB port was it connected on.

Funny fact: when I checked the DCP2000's USB hub, it was the first and only time I saw a USB2 gigabit ethernet adapter.
          I suppose that that meant "faster than fast ethernet".

upload work,but after reboot,software version do not change
          To get way back to Dave’s first response (and others, but Dave has the first to mention), my bet would be firstly on the memory where the system resides and then, permissions.
          If I didn't have all this input, I would also first check how the FTP server folders look like.

Nowadays, if I was working with a Doremi descendant, I would definitely made a system's back up on significant system changes.
          I haven't used it on cinema servers, but I found a very interesting command for remote copying that I used (as you can see) to copy a raspberry pi's ssd:
          Code:
          ssh user@THE.IP.HE.RE "sudo dd if=/dev/mmcblk0" | dd of=./raspbian_pi.iso
          I used it overnight on a Mac's terminal and I had a copy to play with in the morning. (The raspberry pi was not new and had only fast ethernet.)
          I guess that if I had replaced "user" with
          Code:
          "user:password" (I couldn't otherwise avoid : and then p changing into a smiley)
          , I wouldn't need enter the password after pressing return.
          For whomever wants to try: They will need to replace "user" with a sudo user or root, THE.IP.HE.RE with the IP of the system in question, "/dev/mmcblk0" with the proper device (here, maybe "/dev/rootdev", but I would have checked with a "bulkid" and "./raspbiann_pi.iso" with the path and name of file you would care to create within your system.

(I have a weird feeling of being off topic, by replying to the topic's subject after so many retrospective ones, but what can you do? )

Comment

Lonny and I were both at Dolby in 1990 thru '94 in my case, and I don't recall us pissing Claco off during that time. Agree about Norm but he got way better after there was no Lonny to go to. Even Sam Hynds managed to piss a few people off during his time.
            It was actually Ioan that pissed off, or insulted, one of Claco's bigger customers at the Show one year. That customer of course boycotted Dolby products and that in turn upset Claco. I assume they sold mainly USL before I worked there because that is what had been installed everywhere I went. When I worked there starting in 2004 I convinced him to sell more CP-650's because the Sony's were so unreliable and some really had to be replaced. Then all the CP-650 power supply failures happened around 2008 ish in those recent installs which pissed off another big customer. They switched over to selling Panastereo at that point,

Comment

What they did literally transformed and advanced a number of important major US industries.
              Mark, what you're missing is...it was their IP that allowed that. It was the NR design that allowed the recording industry to have better recordings..it wasn't the cards/frames they built. I don't believe Dolby made any if the chips that went into bazillions of consumer cassette decks. AC3 IP went into consumer and pro gear...not that Dolby made the parts.

If there was one industry where Dolby really had an influence on how their technology was used it was ours...cinema. Sure, there were, preamps, sound warping, fader and amplifiers before but building the CP100 and CP50...and even the 364/E2 to a lesser extent, they really codified that there was the "older" mono stuff and the the new Dolby Stereo stuff. You weren't just going to take an optical sound reproducer (or magnetic one) and use it as-is and likewise with speakers. They pretty much defined the methodology of playback from preamp though output to amplifier. Other than the NR, most of what was inside, at first, was "others" technology but they put it all in one box (or with the CP100...a collection of boxes connected in an interesting manner). With Dolby SVA, they also allowed essentially existing technology, with minor revisions (swap out mono for stereo solar cells), to bring "4-track" to the masses for a significantly lower cost than 4-track magnetic. The CP50 layout was so decent, you can see it in most every analog film cinema processor...right from the first knock off (Eprad Starscope) to one of the later entries (Panastereo CSP1200). The whole 1/3-octave constant-q eq, all of it. So yeah, Dolby definitely transformed cinema sound, with respect to cost and 4-channel deployment. The ripple effect would be found in home-cinema (regardless of what it is called throughout the ages). Heck, as much maligned (or misaligned, come to think of it)...much of what people think of as SMPTE 202 (ISO2960 and the "X" curve) all come out of what Dolby did for (or to) the cinema industry.

I don't want any of my reMarks(tm) in the prior posts to be perceived to take away from Dolby as a company or the person himself. But I come back to...Dolby is primarily and has always been a company of intellectual property, not manufacturing. They do manufacturer but that isn't their bread and butter (well maybe the butter). They are also going to be very active in getting their IP codified into standards for any applicable industry. They are going to sell many more licenses to TV manufacturers if their IP is tied to what they are playing back.

"Two Sides, one Opinion".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c91XUyg9iWM
              Last edited by Steve Guttag; 08-12-2020, 01:04 PM.

Comment

For info, here is the boot flash drive on an IMS2000:

IMS2000_bootdrive_1.JPG
                It uses a USB header of the sort found on many consumer motherboards:

IMS2000_bootdrive_2.JPG

So if you wanted to pull one and make a Clonezilla image backup (or write a new image), it would be possible, but a bit of a hassle - you'd either need to open up another computer and attach it to the motherboard header, or buy one of these.

Comment

Looks exactly like the one in their 19" servers.

Comment

It's the same 4GB ssd (but it comes preinstalled with different OS)

Comment

I think it is interesting that those caps are glued down.

Comment

The heat cycling in a projector's card cage is pretty significant, especially if the filters are clogged and the projector has a larger xenon bulb in it. That is why pulling and reseating the cards in the cage is the first thing you do when confronted with a fault or error affecting any of them for which there is no other immediate explanation, and also regularly as part of planned maintenance.

I'm guessing that the glue on the capacitors is heat-resistant, for that reason.

Comment

Maybe those caps are easily damaged by missing the bus slots in trying to reseat the boards? I suppose that makes sense. We use that exact part and there has been no need to glue them.

Comment

Hello from New Zealand, I have popped up from time to time to catch up on things on FT but have never posted, so here I go.
                            I have seen may failures from glue, Admittedly not on D-Cinema equipment, but consumer electronics, where the Glue dries out and eventually ends up becoming conductive. Remove the conductive glue and away you go again.

Cheers Fraser
                            Last edited by Fraser Falconer; 08-17-2020, 03:30 PM.

Comment

I have not had problems with glue becoming conductive, but I repeatedly had problems with contract manufacturers using solder flux that would become conductive. There IS washable flux, and there is no-clean flux. I''m not sure what happened. They said they were using no-clean flux, but we would get failures due to flux leakage, especially under SMT chips.

Harold

Comment

We had quite a time of it with water soluble washable flux. Quite hygroscopic. As in absorbs moisture from the air.

Comment

Working...
                                X