No announcement yet.

May have opportunity to open 2nd screen. Need equipment pricing & plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My understanding is that it's been withdrawn, and is no longer on the market. There was no sign of it in the GDC booth at Cinemacon, and two people I mentioned that to (though admittedly, neither of them GDC staff) told me that it's no longer for sale in the US. No mention of it on their website, either:

image.png

I only ever installed one (in the corporate office screening room of a small theater chain).

There may be used ones about, but that raises the issue of support and parts availability.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Enticknap View Post
      My understanding is that it's been withdrawn, and is no longer on the market. There was no sign of it in the GDC booth at Cinemacon, and two people I mentioned that to (though admittedly, neither of them GDC staff) told me that it's no longer for sale in the US. No mention of it on their website, either:
      You're talking about that thing that's named like an Italian moped? The Espedeo Supra 5000? They still have a sales office in the U.S. Still, generally speaking, I'm not in favor of such budget solutions, regardless of screen size.

Comment

It sounds a bit like an Italian moped, too.

What scared me about it was that absolutely all its computing functions - control electronics, ICP, server, storage, and media block - is on one board, meaning that any one component failure takes your screen down until that very pricey board has been replaced. I even heard claims (not verified) that the board in question is not field replaceable: the entire projector has to be shipped to a service center if more or less anything goes wrong with it.

The one I installed didn't look as bad as some of the comments I'd heard about it led me to fear, and it being able to run from a consumer 120V AC outlet was potentially a big selling point. If it is still available in the US, I wouldn't totally rule it out in some, narrowly defined use cases (e.g. small room, 120 power only, customer insists on new equipment, very restricted budget, and the price is right), but parts and repair support going forward would be a concern.

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel Birgelen View Post

You're talking about that thing that's named like an Italian moped? The Espedeo Supra 5000? They still have a sales office in the U.S. Still, generally speaking, I'm not in favor of such budget solutions, regardless of screen size.
          It does do a good job, with an image that is good.
          There were some budget restricted projects I had, where I used them. Worked, and if you can live with the restrictions (lens range, max light output, etc) it does what it is supposed to day. I had one in my city apartment in the living room next to the sofa placed on a treble intended for the 16 mm projector. The noise level was really acceptable, and the perceived color on my screen (flat 10.5 ft wide) very nice, and mentioned by most visitors, or at least not worse, than the Christie 2309 I tested there before delivering.

It seems to be "currently unavailable in EU and eventually US markets", to be "replaced with an updated model". If this has something to do with the Chinese marked PCBs instead of a TI logo?

It was a good solution also for some "touring operations" in the countryside of my home state. Still portable All in One solution that works from normal household outlets.
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 4 photos.

Comment

I've tried contacting Kinora several times via phone. No answer.
            Website has some names I'll try to email.

Would like to find a tech to evaluate the building for this Wed morning....

Comment

I'm a freelance tech in Chicago. I just sent out a message. Please feel free to reach out.

Comment

UPDATE

Blueprints show a ceiling hard stop at 10 feet 3 in.

25 feet wide

80 feet deep.

Wouldnt use the entire space for an auditorium.

Suffice to say it would be challenging.
                Last edited by Bill Seipel; 05-01-2024, 11:11 AM.

Comment

I think your main issue would be the ceiling height, since your width and depth are pretty much the same as my theatre.

I have a not-to-scale diagram that I made for the techs to do their planning from when I was doing the changeover from film to digital and it occurs to me that you might find this information useful.

Here is the diagram and two photos that I took at that time. (The auditorium is pretty much the same as it always was.)

There are 153 seats.

But my ceiling is 16.5 feet.

Screenshot at 2024-05-01 11-34-36.png
                  00002.jpg
                  00001.jpg

Comment

Working...
                  X