May have opportunity to open 2nd screen. Need equipment pricing & plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• May have opportunity to open 2nd screen. Need equipment pricing & plan

I may have an opportunity to open a 2nd screen for our company.

I need to start formulating a plan which includes equipment costs.

I'll need:
    - projector
    - server & software
    - Audio amplifiers & related gear
    - speakers, subs

to quote Rodney Dangerfield: "The whole schmear!"

I know some names: NEC , Dolby, QSC. But I need some leads on dealers.

I can only say that seriously look at buying a new laser projector, because used S-2 projectors are going to be facing parts shortages as the semiconductor supply for those dries up. Or, if you do buy used, try to match the gear that you already have to keep things consistent operationally. As far as dealers go, I'd get quotes from at least three. The only Cinema Supplier I know of closest to you, but do not know personally is Kinora in Chicago. There is Film-Tech Cinema Systems, so shoot Brad an E-mail... Other dealers that will travel include Moving Images Technology who does installs and service. They are also one of the two NEC (Now Sharp) distributors, and there is also Cardinal Sound in Columbia, MD who are excellent... I hope you are successful at getting the new screen on line!!

Comment

Like Mark said - I would suggest asking for quotes/bids from all of the above. I would also suggest being open to purchasing the equipment and installation service from different vendors, if that looks like being a more cost effective option.

SharpNEC's US headquarters (for cinema products, at any rate) is relatively close to you: Downer's Grove, IL, which could be an argument in favor of an NEC projector on logistical grounds (time taken to get parts).

As well as Kinora in Chicago, there is Full Aperture Systems.

If you would be interested in a quote/bid from ourselves (Moving iMage Technologies, out of Fountain Valley, CA - but we operate across the country, and internationally), please feel free to contact sales [at] movingimagetech.com or call (714) 751-7998. We would need to know the rough dimensions of the room and what level of equipment you're interested in (2K or 4K, 3-D or not, 5.1, 7.1, or IAB audio, etc.) . Added to which, pretty much our entire sales team are currently at Cinemacon, so it'll likely be early next week before you'll get much sense out of us!

As for Series 2, Barco are saying that they will fully support their S2 line for parts until 2031 (I suspect partly because of existing VPF contracts, but also because they have been marketing laser retrofit upgrades for B and C series projectors for some time, which have sold in significant numbers). One headwind could be reduced supply and increased prices for xenon arc lamps as more lamp projectors are replaced by laser, though I haven't seen any serious sign of this happening as of yet. Therefore, a used, but low hours and well looked after Series 2 lamp projector might not be a total rule-out. Another is that there can sometimes be a significant wait time when making a one-time part purchase for a Series 2 projector that is out of warranty (I've experienced this with both Barco and NEC).
      Last edited by Leo Enticknap; 04-11-2024, 08:57 AM.

Comment

And to those that attend NEC training in Downers Grove, be sure to catch a movie at the beautiful Tivoli Theater!

Comment

This building is conveniently located right next door to our existing theater. So, punch a hole in the wall and you're there.

The interior of the existing building would have to be completely demolished. Its an old doctors office with exam rooms, a long hallway & two restroooms.

I've attached a potential floor plan. The building is a simple rectangle with a standard 8 foot DROP ceiling. Dimensions are 25 x 80 with a basement stair access in the rear. I've tried to do it to scale. Each square on the grid paper is 2 feet. The building would be accessible via the front door, rear door OR via the new hole we put on the northwest side to connect the two buildings.

Brad has been kind enough to answer some questions and provide feedback. I need to get into the building this week to see how much room is above the drop ceiling.

I'm certainly open to suggestions. This may not work ... at all. The width of the building is just 25 feet....

The renovations of our existing restrooms are being held up by the decision to purchase this building.

After hearing about equipment costs & bank loans... I don't see how ANYONE could open a theater these days.
          Attached Files

Comment

This may not work ... at all. The width of the building is just 25 feet....
            My auditorium is 25 feet wide 60 feet long and it works fine.

But it also has a 16.5 foot ceiling.

I don't see how you'll get the light over people's heads with an 8 foot ceiling, especially if you add a slope to the floor.

My theatre was originally a paint and wallpaper store. When I made it into a theatre I got long stage rafters and used them to create a slope.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Cox View Post

My auditorium is 25 feet wide 60 feet long and it works fine.

But it also has a 16.5 foot ceiling.

I don't see how you'll get the light over people's heads with an 8 foot ceiling, especially if you add a slope to the floor.

My theatre was originally a paint and wallpaper store. When I made it into a theatre I got long stage rafters and used them to create a slope.
              If there is additional ceiling height available, we'd have to move the ceiling up in the auditorium and install stadium styled (stepped) seating. Likely the only way.

I have an inspection scheduled Wednesday. I'll know more then.

Comment

It's just a little shy on space of being able to do two back to back small ~30 seat cinemas. You don't really need a centralized booth with digital. It only requires a closet in the rear of each auditorium these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Gulbrandsen View Post
                  It's just a little shy on space of being able to do two back to back small ~30 seat cinemas. You don't really need a centralized booth with digital. It only requires a closet in the rear of each auditorium these days.
                  Say more?

This 25 x 80 space is kind of an open book right now.

Comment

Years ago, I did a couple tiny cinemas that were an add on to an existing 4 screen. They were everyone's favorite screens at that location. One was 34 seats and the other was 112.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Gulbrandsen View Post
                      Years ago, I did a couple tiny cinemas that were an add on to an existing 4 screen. They were everyone's favorite screens at that location. One was 34 seats and the other was 112.
                      With the price of projectors and servers, let alone audio equipment, I cannot fathom affording all that. Unless I'm grossly misinformed. The equipment costs (even on the used market) are going to top $50k?

Comment

It seemed to work out well in Ketchum, ID. I originally installed Simplex X-L's, then converted them over to NC-1200's. Upstairs there were four NC-2000's that replaced Christie P35's. The population there today is only ~about 3500. Perhaps, another hundred in the winter skiing at neighboring Sun Valley, where they still run the original single screen. A couple years ago, he lost the lease to the small screens and there is a restaurant in there.
                        Last edited by Mark Gulbrandsen; 04-13-2024, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Plenty of used projectors to start out on. If the business catches on you can buy new later.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Seipel
                            The equipment costs (even on the used market) are going to top $50k?
                            If you're looking to equip a totally empty room for DCI movie presentation, a $50K budget might just be possible, but it'll be tight. For that you'd have to procure a projector, lens, server, screen (with the frame and assembly to mount it on), audio processor, power amplifiers, loudspeakers, house lights, dimmer(s), and the architectural cable runs needed to hook them all up. Unless your choice of projector will run on consumer 120, you'll also need to have a single phase 208 or 240V power supply installed for the projector. Avoiding that would narrow the choice down to a used NC900 or 1000 (the only other one that I know of, the Barco SP2K-7S in low power mode, is too new for there to be any used examples on the market, and a new one would not be possible within your budget).

If you're lucky with "used but OK" equipment availability, it might be do-able, but it would be a challenge.

Comment

One other option would be the GDC projector package for a small screen and I believe the IMS in it supports a processor

Comment

Working...
                              X