Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Talk of banning Mercury Lamps by 2025, does this effect any DCI projectors out there.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Marcel Birgelen View Post
    Radioactivity is not something that easily "infects" other objects and makes them radioactive, at least not at those low energy levels. The radioactive elements in those bulbs are in gaseous forms, so they don't really get into your clothes or into your skin. So I doubt someone ever missed his flight because he changed a xenon bulb a day before.
    Depends on which Xenon gas it is. There are close to half a dozen different forms of xenon. One form of xenon is even used to create 3D images of people's lungs, heart, and brain for medical use. Disposal is definately an issue but not because the parts are necessarily super toxic, but because landfills in general are running out of space.

Comment

Originally posted by Marco Giustini View Post
      I kind of remember Sony mentioning that the 500 series bulbs were only warranted for a limited amount of time after being sold - and that was because those bulbs had some shelf life. Do I remember incorrectly, Carsten?
      The warranty paper actually mentions 'after manufacture', not sales. It is 4 years. Doesn't concern me much. At least for us, the effective lamp consumption is ridiculously low.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Gulbrandsen View Post
        Depends on which Xenon gas it is. There are close to half a dozen different forms of xenon. One form of xenon is even used to create 3D images of people's lungs, heart, and brain for medical use. Disposal is definately an issue but not because the parts are necessarily super toxic, but because landfills in general are running out of space.
        Xenon has tons of isotopes, most of the radioactive ones are only beta-active, so they emit electrons. Being a mostly inert gas, it will not react with anything else. Being far heavier than both oxygen and nitrogen, it will probably sink to the bottom of the room, so chances of inhaling large amounts are small. In other words, I fail to see how any person handling a xenon bulb, broken or not can become radioactive to such an extend, that it should register at a security check at the airport. Maybe I'm missing something. Just curious...

@Carsten: Can you give me a hint where you got that February 2027 date from?

Comment

I was under the impression, the radiactiveness (Not a word) was harmless, but the elements that you may get on our hands if touching an old lamp cathode/anode, are extremely unusual and could trigger a mass spectrometer to flag you.

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel Birgelen View Post

@Carsten: Can you give me a hint where you got that February 2027 date from?
            See table at the end of this document:

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-cont...LEX:32022L0279

This also makes it rather clear that the 2000 lumen figure is not per lamp, but per projector, so, anyway, no at single cinema / DCI projector is affected before early 2027, and realistically, not before 2030 or so.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Carsten Kurz; 03-15-2024, 09:31 AM.

Comment

We;ve done some NC1000C Laser light source upgrade and it came out good, 30% more light on screen

Comment

Originally posted by Emmanuel Nwokafor View Post
                We;ve done some NC1000C Laser light source upgrade and it came out good, 30% more light on screen
                Really. I didn;t know it was available for NC1000C projectors. Whats the RRP? Does it completely fit into the projector? I imagine its a blue laser phosphor type light source?

Comment

Working...
                X