No announcement yet.

NEC 1600C dead in the water ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanks Mark, only one problem...they cant find the barrel key to unlock the panels! so, i may take Randy's advice i will take the 8" grinder for the rough work...and the 4" for the trim up!

Comment

The 1600C had a bit of an unusual design with mains power being split across two separate low voltage power supplies--one main (GPSU) and one standby.

The standby supply should output 5V as soon as mains power is applied to the projector and was an off the shelf part--Cosel P/N LEB100F-0524​ according to the service manual. I believe RS (Allied Electronics) still has them.

The GPSU power supply (P/N AC6-2HECB-00) is a 3.3/5/12/24V unit--probably also from Cosel. The GPSU will not start unless a relay closes on the AC PWB.

If the projector is stone cold dead and the internal circuit breaker tests good, I'd recommend checking to see if the standby power supply is actually outputting 5V DC at terminal POPSC4 on the AC PWB. If not, replace the standby power supply.

Good luck!

Comment

aaaah now thats the kind of information i have been seeking! thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by John Eickhof View Post
          thanks Mark, only one problem...they cant find the barrel key to unlock the panels! so, i may take Randy's advice i will take the 8" grinder for the rough work...and the 4" for the trim up!
          Careful! Those barrel locks usually operate intrusion microswitches. When cutting them off don't cut the switches.

Comment

My apologies, I forgot to come back to this. If you’ve got to destroy the locks, make sure to be careful. The others are right about the interlocking switches. Another problem is to be careful where the brass shavings go as you drill them out. You do not want to get any of it in there. My knowledge is mainly with Christie and Barco projectors. The terminal side of this power supply is behind the I/O board. If you can get it apart and are curious to test, aim a hair dryer into the power supply. It may take a minute for it to kick on. I’ve got a couple of Christie LVPS units that this happened on. A ton of Doremi power supplies as well. I’ve done the hairdryer trick to get them back online until I could order the capacitors. If the unit does kick on, it will need a capacitor replacement. It’s up to you if you’re brave enough to play in there.

Comment

thanks for the advice Devin, not to worry, I was kidding on breaking out the demolition tools! However I will be trying a heat gun and see if it wakes up, then figure out how to proceed getting the lvps out for repair. since nec doesnt want to support it anymore the user says it is mine to work on! Im with you on barfco, changed out quite a few lvps even between showings...they at least put some thought behind unitized construction!

Comment

Working...
              X