NEC 1600C dead in the water ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEC 1600C dead in the water ???

i had a call from a former customer they have a NEC 1600C that they had decided to relocate up on a high pedestal, they disconnected it from ac mains, moved it and rewired mains (all line voltages chk out) now it will not power up! on looking through the manual i see that nec machines have a very regimented power up and power down sequence...i believe they must have done something wrong when moving it? So i powered up as follows: local 3ph main ist, next breakers on projector stand then the two pole breaker on the projector, then pressed 'on' button for 5 seconds...no buzzers, no fans, just a faint relay click behind the projector control panel...no display on lcd control screen, no indicator lights on nec? i tried powering up ironically...the manual states 'if power down or power up is not performed properly...damage will result to the projector' ok...im not an nec guy so hopefully someone can explain what this ' damage may be and how to correct it? thanks! luckily, they are a film class not a commercial venue so at this point its not an emergency...and the machine and acc were given to them by a theatre that closed locally!

They need to describe what isn't working as it powers up in sort of steps
    Does it display any tail lights or does the touch panel wake up fans start?

Comment

i did a power up myself on it, as in the note above...no fans, no indicator lights, no display, only a faint click of a relay in the projector...ac mains read out correct line input voltage, i even reseated front panels around lens and mains input...the lcd display remains dark, no power on either...the server powers up in the pedestal...

Comment

We only have 2000C models, but can you separate the card cage AC from the lamp power on the 1600C?
        Maybe it didn't get pugged back in, or the cord from the main input came loose.

Comment

I’d check the LVPS unit. These power supplies run for years and a lot of heat runs through them. We’ve had several do this where they’d lose power and then not come back up. It’s a failure that usually occurs in the bias/standby circuit. I’ve gotten them to come back on by heating them. The more permanent fix is to replace the power supply. I’ve opened them up and replaced bad capacitors in them. That’s fixed every one I’ve run into so far.

Comment

thanks Devin, I will start there...How do you access the power supply module? all i have is a users manual...are they like barco where you will need password to reinitiate functions? its like it is asleep but looks like no low voltage bus is present...

Comment

First, call MIT and then Strong in that order. Both are NEC distributors. They may have a power supply, or also have deals on used, or new close out Series 2 projectors. Replacing it is is really a better idea, since the 1600C is a Series One projector, with unknown parts availability, Parts are already very scarce for other Series one brands if that's any indication, Barco has already discontinued supplying any parts for their early S-1 projectors. I knew of some used NEC series 2 stuff a few months back that was reasonably priced, but it sold quickly. And if they can afford to buy new, then they can say buh-bye to having to ever purchase xenon lamps again. Just wanted to relate my personal experiences with S-1, and that once they die they usually go in the dead projector room just off the booth....
              Also, rebuilding that power supply is perfectly feasible, IF IT'S ACTUALLY THE SUPPLY THAT HAS FAILED!

Comment

mark, not being familiar with nec, i think it must be a low voltage problem as the unit will not wake up...ie turn mains on and nothing, press power switch for 15 seconds and nothing...no lcd screen or any power indicators...does the ps remove through the front? if i can get it out i can at least check caps and components for failure then fix as necessary, however, its starting to look like planned obsolescence on necs part as they have removed all reference materials from their site and offer no support for the model...im sure glad film projectors had a more stable metamorphosis! i don't really feel like spending much time 'beating a dead horse' anyway! thanks!

Comment

Never installed any Series 1 NEC, but there were lots of them in Salt Lake at the Megaplex's. Generally the LVPS is very easy to remove, and the problem is almost always capacitors. The obsolescense problem is more electronics industry related. Semiconductors go obsolete and thus a board or sub assemble becomes unavailable. Manufacturers also seem to give new models priority over the older stuff. All digital projectors have this problem weather it's a small office projector or a big theater projector.

Comment

thanks Mark, i will look into it next time I get to the place, I have figured it shouldn't be to big of an issue but its just unfamiliar territory for me!

Comment

Come to think of it, you could try contacting Magaplex and see if they have any NC-1600 stuff still laying around...

Comment

John and I chatted over the phone, and it sure sounds like an LVPS issue. I agree with Mark that it is most likely due to bad caps. If he can get the supply out I offered to help him get it repaired. Mark, buying a new one is not an option, as John mentioned, it was donated to a film class so I am pretty sure they won't have funding to buy new.

The main issue he has is HOW to get the supply out? I haven't worked on any NECs other than a single 900C about two decades ago. And that was just lamp changes.

So, if anyone knows how to tell John (and the rest of us) how to remove that LVPS, speak up.

Comment

thanks Tony! I figure if no one is willing to pipe up, its time to break out the sawzall and torch and do some dismantling the old fashioned way!

Comment

Use an angle grinder with a cutoff disk! It's much more fun that way!

Comment

It should be very easy to remove. The S2 series NEC's only take like 10 minutes to pull the LVPS. I assume that you removed the top and side covers, and perhaps the front???

Comment

Working...
                              X