Mission Impossible 7 and Dolby DSS200 servers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Philip Jones View Post
    We've got the new DCP and it runs just fine on our DSS200s. It was authored on the 8th July.
    Was the new DCP in 2K only or 4K as the original one?

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry G. Axelsson View Post

Was the new DCP in 2K only or 4K as the original one?
      The new one is 2K

Comment

Finally saw it with my own eyes, and I can confirm now that it looks 100% identical to the old OpenCube bug from around 2014–2015.

From what we know, it’s not related to bitrate or 4K, but some specific parameters of the JPEG2000 encoding. I guess the lab fixed their j2k settings and created a 2K DCP as a quick fix, just to be as fast and safe as possible. (Our fixed version is also 5.1 only.)

I also found the old trailer (TLR-A from 220506), but couldn’t see the issue there. This one has burnt-in Finnish subtitles, though, so it might very well not be the same encoding as the one Philip mentioned.
        Last edited by Antti Näyhä; 07-11-2023, 09:00 AM.

Comment

As the plot thickens...has anyone with a DSS200 server running on a Series 1 projector (any brand) experienced the issue? I have one site, for sure, running a Christie CP2000SB that claims to not have the issue (and they have an anamorphic lens so there is more video processing happening in the projector too). I have another site with a Barco S1 (DP2000) that is checking on it.

Comment

No issues with the IMAX version.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Guttag View Post
              As the plot thickens...has anyone with a DSS200 server running on a Series 1 projector (any brand) experienced the issue? I have one site, for sure, running a Christie CP2000SB that claims to not have the issue (and they have an anamorphic lens so there is more video processing happening in the projector too). I have another site with a Barco S1 (DP2000) that is checking on it.
              Back in 2014(ish), our Barco DP-2000 + DSS200 + Cat 862 setup did suffer from this issue on DCP's created with affected versions of OpenCube. Don't know about MI7, though.

Comment

MI-7 Problem occurs in Germany as well.
                Last edited by Carsten Kurz; 07-12-2023, 04:04 AM.

Comment

My other site with a Barco S1 projector is reporting now, no observed issue. The funny thing is, they have a DSS200/CAT862 on a Barco S2 (DP2K-15C) that is NOT reporting the issue and they are looking for it. We'll see.

Comment

Our german colleague runs Barco S2 with his DSS200. Not sure about software/firmware version.

Comment

Just about all of my DSS200 servers are on 4.9.5.2 or 4.9.6.2 (same CAT862 version).

Comment

Previously we tried several 4.8.x versions, all of which suffered from this issue. (Again: these were other DCP’s all created with OpenCube. I have no information about MI7 on pre-4.9 Dolby System versions.)

Comment

Originally posted by Antti Näyhä View Post
                          Previously we tried several 4.8.x versions, all of which suffered from this issue. (Again: these were other DCP’s all created with OpenCube. I have no information about MI7 on pre-4.9 Dolby System versions.)
                          R&S Clipster is a pretty common DCP mastering suite. Is there any common DNA between OpenCube and Clipster you know about?

Comment

So as of now, no-one is reporting any Series 1 systems reproducing the issue, and not all Series 2 one are, either - just some.

I can't help wondering if firmware versions are involved, somehow. Maybe the Series 2 systems with immunity are running a different ICP version to those affected?

Comment

Makes sense, but the last ICP version for series 2 is quite older than -say- the last 4.9 versions of DSS.
                              One would assume that, if a server has a 4.9 the projector would have an ICP version of 4.5.454.

Edit:
                              What one would not take for granted is that a company (other than Paramount) would keep Clipster updated.

Comment

I'd be amazed if ICP 4.5.454 wasn't on virtually all S2 systems. Furthermore, those reporting the issue (e.g. Film-Tech posted it) would have, at least, tried 4.5.454. I could believe CAT862 hardware revision could play a role in this. Again, one would presume that Film-Tech would be up to at least 4.9.1.18 or so (the CAT862 wasn't updated for most of the 4.9 revisions, just the early ones. Starting with 4.9.1.18, CAT862 firmware went to 4.8.6.2 and that is where we are for current release.

Comment

Working...
                                X