Mission Impossible 7 and Dolby DSS200 servers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mission Impossible 7 and Dolby DSS200 servers

Just a heads up for anyone running these servers who might be getting ready to call in a technician...

Every theater on our NOC running DSS200 servers that ran this early preview screening today has image problems with this feature. We also confirmed this is not affecting Doremi or GDC servers.

A manager at one of the sites sent this photo in to show what the problem looks like. There are green and blue halos around objects (such as these people's heads) and it apparently gets much worse than seen here when there is movement with other colors and a hazy cast over the image.

Remember kiddos, digital is perfect!
    Attached Files

interesting. If you hadn't told me it was the server, I would have blamed the projector. Looks like some sort of motion blur. Even though the DSS series is dead, I'm surprised this wasn't picked up during mastering.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up! Do you know if this is affecting Cat745 or Cat862? Or Both?

Comment

Sorry I should have noted it is affecting the cat862 media blocks.

Comment

Well, that's some top-notch QC from Paramount and Deluxe right there...European DCPs may be mastered differently, haven't heard any complaints yet, other than that the runtime is kind-of extreme @ 2h43m and this is just "Part 1"...

Comment

There was a similar-looking issue that used to be quite common in DCP's created with earlier versions of certain OpenCube authoring software, when played back on a Cat 862. Not sure if the MI7 problem is exactly the same – I haven't seen it with my own eyes yet, but probably will soon.

Our DCP seems to have been created with ClipsterDCI 6.9.3.3.
            Last edited by Antti Näyhä; 07-10-2023, 12:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel Birgelen View Post
              European DCPs may be mastered differently, haven't heard any complaints yet
              Just heard that the issue has also been experienced in Sweden.

Comment

We have this problem in the UK with our DSS200s. The same issue was there with the very first trailer they ever issued for the film. I did report it at the time to Paramount but was fobbed off and subsequent trailers were fine.

Comment

Is it present all the time or only at certain time codes?

/Joop

Comment

I haven't watched all of it, but it's particularly noticeable at 01:22:00 for 5 minutes

Comment

Thanks Philip,

I haven’t seen it myself yet but I got a report that it is noticeable from 11-17 minutes into the movie. Like Brad wrote it is worse where there is fast movement.

/Joop

Comment

Originally posted by Philip Jones View Post
                        I haven't watched all of it, but it's particularly noticeable at 01:22:00 for 5 minutes
                        The aforementioned OpenCube issue only manifested after the DCP had been played for some time. So for example, let's say I started the film from the beginning and the issue started at exactly 17 minutes… Then after the screening, I tried to reproduce it by starting playback from 17 min, but this time it looked just fine – unless I let it play continuously for a long time again.

Not 100% sure it's the same issue, but from what I know, it looks and sounds very similar.

Comment

Confirmed by Deluxe that they are aware and are working on a new version which will be with us ASAP.

Comment

We had the same problem on a DSS200 and CAT 862 when we ran an advance screening of MI7.
                            Started around 00:15:00 and lasted until the end. We did spot checks after this screening and the issue was not present. Reported to UIP.

Comment

Well, this sucks. But thanks a lot for the heads up.

Comment

Working...
                              X