New(er) DCP terms found on trailers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New(er) DCP terms found on trailers

I've started to see numbers and letters I can't decipher on the trailers recently.... can anybody shed any light on these? Or is there an online place where it's all defined?

24DVis (or just DVis)
    NO-GB
    SAFE
    MX4D

I'm going to guess that DVis is Dolby Vision (but what does the 24 mean?), and maybe NO-GB means the trailer has no MPA green band. "Safe" maybe means it's good for any audience? I dunno. Just when I get something figured out they add some more words to the soup.

NO-GB did exist for long, it means 'No Ghostbusting'. Now, none of these (except for Dolby Vision) are 'standardised', but they are also not 'forbidden'. I see a lot more of these, and often the only way to decipher them is a mix of trial&error and intuition.

The 24 going with DVis unnecessarily means, of course, 24fps. Could be though, that there is a 25 or 48fps version, so they may use the '24' for some extra indication.

https://registry-page.isdcf.com/illustratedguide/

MX4D is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MX4D

- Carsten
    Last edited by Carsten Kurz; 05-12-2022, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Not ghost busted used to be "ngb"

Comment

True, but no one seems to control most of these 'custom' tags anymore these days. Depending on where that combination occurred in the DCNC title, it could just as well simply mean Norway and Great Britain for either language or territory code. Quite probably that's the case.

Comment

I recently ran a movie-
          It wasn't a famous classic, like Casablanca, etc
          It wasn't digital.
          It had mono sound
          It wasn't in color
          It didn't have any CG or digital efx.
          It didn't have any famous actors in it

. . what it DID have was a good script
          . . . a good cast, speaking dialogue that was actually audible
          - - - scenes that were lit so that you could actually see something
          . . . . . camerawork that looked like they actually used a tripod or camera dolly
          . . . . . . . a sold-out crowd that pretty much filled the house.

(and I suppose I should self-servingly add:
          `- - - - - - - a good projectionist - - - - - )

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Guttag
            Not ghost busted used to be "ngb"
            Maybe they changed it because projectionists in the UK misread it as "nbg," meaning "no bloody good" (a rough British equivalent of our NFG)?

Comment

We had a similar discussion a while back. There doesn't seem to be an official or unofficial list where those "tags" are maintained. So, maybe we should start one? It could be as easy as a "shared Google Docs" document...

Originally posted by Carsten Kurz View Post
              The 24 going with DVis unnecessarily means, of course, 24fps. Could be though, that there is a 25 or 48fps version, so they may use the '24' for some extra indication.
              It should be superfluous, because the frame rate should already be part of the naming convention when it's not 24fps.

Comment

I've also noticed that they've started doing trailers with numbers, TLR1, TLR2, etc. but then they'll switch to alphabetical. TLR-A, etc. I think they use the alphabet for non-English soundtracks, or that's what I've surmised so far.

This isn't trailer-related, but on our server it gives a list of titles by "PKL" as well as the familiar CPL. What the heck is PKL?

Comment

pickle-2-9207-1427781389-2_dblbig.jpg

Comment

PKL = Packing List = A packing list is a list of identification information about a distribution package. Said another way, a packing list describes a particular distribution package by enumerating its contents.

Comment

PKL is the Packaging List of a DCP, much like that slip you get when you open up a box with multiple shipments in it. It's used to check the integrity of the file and give some metadata regarding the assets in that file.

Edit: Sorry Harold, I didn't see your post, I guess I should've pressed F5 one more time..
                      Last edited by Marcel Birgelen; 05-13-2022, 01:23 AM.

Comment

I've noticed "SAFE" to seem to show up on films that would have a higher rating, so I surmise that they are "safe for all audiences".

Comment

What drives me nuts is the various revisions, REV-A, REVAA, REV-2, etc......

Comment

I'm still searching for an exact answer for what "NRID" on a trailer means.
                            I asked this several months ago, and was given several suggestions- -
                            (such as "Not In Real-D" ~ ~but I've yet to find a definitive definition

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Cassedy View Post
                              I'm still searching for an exact answer for what "NRID" on a trailer means.
                              I asked this several months ago, and was given several suggestions- -
                              (such as "Not In Real-D" ~ ~but I've yet to find a definitive definition
                              The answer was given back then.

NIRD => No IMAX, Real D: Used for context that does NOT advertise IMAX, but ONLY RealD.

That's not a suggestion, that's what it actually means. :P

The semi-complete list of similar tags, including this one:

GENERIC => Does advertise 3D, but no specific branding.
                              IMAX => Specifically advertises IMAX (and usually nothing else)
                              NIRD => No IMAX, only RealD.
                              COMBO => Both IMAX and RealD.

Comment

Working...
                              X