Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Is "NIRD" In ISDCF Naming Protocol?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Is "NIRD" In ISDCF Naming Protocol?

I consider myself to be pretty up to date on the ISDCF naming convention stuff, but recently
    I've seen the letters "NIRD" included in some of the trailer names, for example:

TheBatman_TLR-4-NIRD_S_EN-XX_US_GB. . . . etc, etc

So, whattsup with "NIRD" ? I looked on the ISDCF Naming Convention website, and couldn't find
    any info, unless I somehow missed it. (Or maybe I'm just not enough of a NIRD )

My best guess is ‘Not Including Release Date’ but again, just a guess.

Comment

The "NIRD" version is the version that does not advertise IMAX but RealD: No IMAX, RealD

Comment

I think it means it has neither one. "No Imax or Real D." But I can't say I've looked all that closely lately.

I do wish they would put trailers out with no release date, to be used after the film opens. I have always thought it was kind of insane that theaters instantly stop advertising a movie as soon as it opens. Meanwhile we haven't played "Dog" yet and we're forced to run a trailer that says "February" in it. In the film days I would have cut those kind of things out.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Blakesley View Post
          I think it means it has neither one. "No Imax or Real D." But I can't say I've looked all that closely lately.
          Noop.
          Well, those tags are special extensions to the naming scheme and not part of the official naming scheme yet, so essentially you could make of them whatever you want. Would be neat if somebody kept an easily accessible list, but these do come to mind:

GENERIC: Does advertise 3D, but no specific branding.
          IMAX: Specificially advertises IMAX.
          NIRD: No IMAX, only RealD.
          COMBO: Both IMAX and RealD.

Originally posted by Mike Blakesley View Post
          I do wish they would put trailers out with no release date, to be used after the film opens. I have always thought it was kind of insane that theaters instantly stop advertising a movie as soon as it opens. Meanwhile we haven't played "Dog" yet and we're forced to run a trailer that says "February" in it. In the film days I would have cut those kind of things out.
          We've built a remote rendering facility that easily allows people to create cards as DCPs. Once the DCP has rendered, we upload it to their content library and they can use it as such. They often use it to create tag-ons to trailers if they don't play something on the break or if it concerns a repertoire title.

You could do something similar: Set up a template in a video editing program like Adobe Premiere Pro or DaVinci Resolve (even the Free version will do) and create a tag-on to the trailer, which indicates your runtimes. Resolve allows direct DCP export, so you don't need to run your output through e.g. DCP-o-Matic first.

Comment

We usually add show times and special information to DCP trailers using subtitles. That way, we do mot even have to render a new version or use a video editor, we just wrap the subs into the original trailer with DCP-o-matic. We use a generic SRT file, and all we need to do is edit this text file containing one or two lines with new text and start times - the latter is usually not even necessary, since DCP-o-matic allows to shift it around in the GUI. We also have a generic PNG that we use to mask out stuff like 'See it in IMAX' and the like.

Comment

I've also considered doing that, but most trailers around here come with subtitles. Also, most people are trained to either read or ignore subtitles, so for those who don't read subtitles because they're sufficiently proficient in the trailer's language, they may completely miss the information.

Comment

Well, we can put these lines below the content (we play most trailers letterboxed in flat - as most movies nowadays are scope), or right across the screen into everyones face, so it's hard to ignore them. Admittedly, the high number of subtitled trailers and movies in your country indeed makes this a bit less attractive.
                Last edited by Carsten Kurz; 03-06-2022, 06:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X