Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the new standard now to show visible letterboxing and pillar bars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is true, Gordon, it was a variable anamorphic (incredible light hog too), but Superscope films were shot for a specific aspect ratio and to be played back at that specific AR, although I never encountered any film that didn't require 2x magnification, i.e., standard CinemaScope prints. The manual even said you could mimic the way VistaVision logo opened, by setting the control on the device to 0x magnification, and when you hit the curtains, turned to control knob to the picture stretched horizontally to the full width of the screen either for 2.35:1 for scope pictures, or 2:1 for Superscope. I tried that once or twice just to see how it looked and to me it looked hokey. After that, I never used it on anything by 2.35:1 scope films.

That's different than Vistavision which is a purely spherical process from camera to projector which seemed to be claiming that you could play a VV print in any ARs between the two extremes, cropping to any AR that suits the projectionists fancy (and available lens and aperture plate). Theoretically, they could have issued any of their titles as an anamorphic release print at 2:1 with a pillared image to be shown anamorphcially. But I never came across an anamorphic VV print, although I was once told that there were some anamorphic prints of THE TEN COMMANDMENTS extracted from the spherical negative, but that's only hearsay...never saw one myself, and I doubted it even back then because the whole idea of Paramount's spherical wide screen process was because they decided that their spherical VV was superior to Fox's anamorphic scope process. Plus, I am sure they didn't at all relish having to put "CinemaScope is a registered trademark of 20th Century Fox" in the credits as I saw on a Warner Brother's film (MR.ROBERTS, I think -- I bet THAT made the veins in Jacks forehead pop!) .

My 60 some-odd year old skepticism/complaint is about the VV spherical release print, while matted at 1.66:1 in the Academy window, was claimed to basically be able to be cropped to anything the theatre desired, between 1.66:1 to 2:1. I said back then and still believe, that is just sloppy thinking. Only ONE image in that viewfinder can be the composition the cinematographer frames for and composes as "correct," everything else is a compromise of it and more importantly, there's no reason for it. Almost every flat film I've ever run was either wide-open full frame or hard matted at 1.66, and you cropped to the INTENDED AR which most often was 1.85 or less often, 1.66. There was no ambiguity. Sure, if a film was intended to shown at 1.85 and you showed it a 1.66 just because you could, sure it would play that way, but no one would say you were presenting it correctly, just because you could. Why didn't Paramount just leave it at that -- it's a 1.85:1 title to be played at 1.85 instead of all that hogwash about it can be played at 2:1 or 1.66:1 or anything in between, as if it's all the same, when IMHO, clearly it is not as, for the reasons I stated above re: the aesthetics and the "feel" of a film. I know...I am nitpicking, but isn't that what we are supposed to do here?

Comment

True but superscope offered full frame non squeezed prints off the full frame camera negative as well as extracted 2:1 (initially) anamorphic prints Some where i have some odd reels like that. As to composing in a multi AR world 1:66 compared to 2:1 is not much different that allowing the safe TV window compared to full frame.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon McLeod View Post
        True but SniperScope offered full frame non squeezed prints off the full frame camera negative as well as extracted 2:1 (initially) anamorphic prints Some where i have some odd reels like that. As to composing in a multi AR world 1:66 compared to 2:1 is not much different that allowing the safe TV window compared to full frame.
        SnooperScope only did that for a couple of years until there were enough projection systems updated for Cinemascope across the country. After that they were all squeezed. You know how things go with dual inventory prints! The wrong print always ends up at the wrong theater.

Comment

Gordd, Something I did not know until I talked to a film historian friend is that Universal did a similar thing also for a couple of years. Except they made two takes of each scene. One in full frame flat, and a second in bonafide CinemaScope.

Comment

Universal as early as 1948 was requiring the cinematographers to compose each shot to be compatable between 1.37 and 1.66 as even at that point they had notice many theatres were widening their screens to better fit the proscenium arch

Comment

Yes, there was some cheating going on in many theatres, even before spherical wide screen became the norm. The lens I used for 1.37 in one venue was a bit too high a magnification for an exact fit fpr a perfect I.37:1-- when I measured what I got with the existing lens, the actual image it came in at about 1.44:1, if memory serves me. To get that to be a perfect .1.37:1, would have required one of Schneider's VP Cinelux zoom lens which this venue didn't have the $$ to buy.(x2). Even with foreign films that had subtitles, the subtitles were always comfortably above the mask so the PTB (Powers that Be) were perfectly happy with that little bit of out-of-standard crop that we used. A VP zoom would have eliminated the need for a separate lens for silent film as well, which I would have been very happy to get rid of the old Kollmorgan lens (circa 1940s) that they had for silent films. I once had to explain to another projectionist that his theory that the best possible image could be obtained by playing old B&W films from the 30s and 40s with lenses made in the 30s or 40s. He claimed it was our vintage Kolomorgan lenses that made B&W films look so good. I had to differ. It was the single layer emulsion of B&W prints and in many cases with prints from studio archives in those days, were from silver processing, so blacks were really black.

I often wondered but never was able to try it out, if that Schneider VP zoom had enough range that it could be used for both 1.85 and 1.66, instead of needing fixed FL lenses for each AR.

Comment

Working...
              X