GDC SR1000 Inquiries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GDC SR1000 Inquiries

It's the end of the year and I've got to spend some money this week. Currently running GDC SX2000AR servers and IMB's. They are both about 7.5 years old, and still running the original raid array hard drives. Both seem to be running fine, but both can get a little finicky at times. Looking to replace both servers with SR1000's and their Enterprise Plus Storage solution. I'm running Barco DP2K-23B's that are about the same age.
    Not sure I understand the "Web Based" IMS stuff, but I'm sure I can learn.

I saw the thread comparing the SR1000's versus the IMS 1000's, but haven't seen anything related to the GDC Enterprise Storage Plus.

Anyone had any experience with these?
    Last edited by Barry Floyd; 12-28-2020, 09:03 AM.

The SR1000 can't use the "Plus" (has the CRU bay) because it doesn't have a second eSATA port (unless they've updated the plus storage that I'm unaware). There are several Enterprise storage options though (used to only have the 5 drive unit that was filled as needed, there is now a smaller 3-drive version).

It does have USB3 ports so you can get an external USB3 CRU bay (rackmount, tabletop or sleeve) and it is possible to "live-play" with those.

Everything is now web based (doesn't matter who your sever is) and you'll find that the GDC UI has changed more than it has stayed the same so yes, you'll need to get used to it. However, like most things in cinema, it's repetitive so you will find yourself able to work with it just fine. A big feature that leaves, though, is VNC. The last I checked, it was still available (for one VNC client, at the exclusion of all other people logged in) but GDC has stated that VNC is not on the long-term plans. While using the VNC client, it looks exactly like the traditional GDC UI.

Whereas it is the end of the year (and a crappy year at that), you'll likely find that it is hard to get ahold of people in sales directly but it wouldn't surprise me that they do respond anyway.

You should ask your dealer if there are any trade up programs being offered at the moment (I believe there are). If so, that might be a way to stretch your $$$ a little bit.

As for comparing to the IMS3000...that would like us comparing Toyota versus say Honda...you'll find the stalwarts for both and both will get you to work. Unfortunately, it is best to look at both UIs and features and then decide what makes sense for you.

Comment

Thank you for responding Steve. It seems if your willing to spend money, the sales guys will call you back even during the holidays! GDC is offering a trade-in program on the SX2000-AR's, so every little bit helps. I'll call my dealer and have him verify the compatibility of the Plus storage solution.

Comment

I've found the GDC people pretty responsive in all occasions, both sales and support. I just wouldn't have blamed them for being a bit slower this week, all things considered. I'm sure support is getting its usual workout as we do have SOME new features out there that people are trying to make their pennies with.

Comment

I have three early SR-1000 in and running with zero problems, although things were a bit flaky until the first firmware update arrived, which was during installation... they are going on almost 2 years old now. GDC gave my customer a trade in on the old servers, although I do not remember exactly how much it was. So you may want to ask if you can get that as well. The SX-3000 may be nearing the end of life, I think the first ones I put in At Wendover Cinemas are 7 years old now, or very close to it.. . But I have about 30 SX-3000 in the field and basically zero problems except occasional hard drive failures. So the SR-1000 is probably a better bet, but keep in mind it has a totally new GUI..

You can download the SR-1000 manual here... https://www.gdc-tech.com/english/products_sr1000.php

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Guttag
            A big feature that leaves, though, is VNC. The last I checked, it was still available (for one VNC client, at the exclusion of all other people logged in) but GDC has stated that VNC is not on the long-term plans. While using the VNC client, it looks exactly like the traditional GDC UI.
            There are some things that aren't there in the VNC UI on the SR-1000 (e.g. most if not all of the SMS configuration pages), and that you can only do through the web UI.

Like the IMS3000's UI for someone transitioning from a 2000, the SR-1000's web UI is a bit of a buggerish learning curve for a user who has spent many years with an SX-3000 or 4000. Once you've gotten used to it, it's fine, but be prepared for a frustrating first week or two.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Enticknap View Post

There are some things that aren't there in the VNC UI on the SR-1000 (e.g. most if not all of the SMS configuration pages), and that you can only do through the web UI.

Like the IMS3000's UI for someone transitioning from a 2000, the SR-1000's web UI is a bit of a buggerish learning curve for a user who has spent many years with an SX-3000 or 4000. Once you've gotten used to it, it's fine, but be prepared for a frustrating first week or two.
              It's not nearly as bad as the Dolbly IMS interfaces which are not at all self intuitive.... And GDC offers free training at Cinema Con (If there is one) as well as loads of videos on Youtube. https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ry=gdc+sr-1000

Comment

IMHO, GDC should either have left the VNC UI intact with full functionality on the SR-1000, or killed it totally. As it is, you can still do scheduling and playlist building using the VNC UI, but not much else. That is simply going to frustrate someone who is used to it, and is wondering where all the configuration and admin stuff has gone.

Dolby had the right idea when they killed the VNC UI totally in the transition from Doremi rack servers to IMSes, while at the same time adding the web UI as an option to the former in a software upgrade around three years ago. That gave users of the rack servers the chance to start playing with, and get familiar with, the web UI, and then when those servers died and they moved to an IMS, they will at least have had the chance to start using the web UI ahead of time.

Why they then had to shoot themselves in the foot by moving everything around in the web UI in the transition from the IMS2000 to the 3000, I've no idea.

Comment

Conformity Leo. Now that Doremi is part of Dolby, they wanted all of their products to have a similar look and feel...the same way that the DMA8 Plus and the CP750 have a similar feel on their apps, so shall the CP850, IMS3000 and CP950 on their web UIs. The IMS3000 is a morph of the Dolby web ui and the Doremi web ui.

Comment

All my customers have a TMS and the one with SR-1000's accesses theirs that way. So the VNC never really gets used anyway... except by one 6 plex that has the eye pad program set up which I believe is via VNC. But one can also access the TMS remotely from any place. So VNC is really not necessary.
                    Last edited by Mark Gulbrandsen; 12-29-2020, 11:55 AM.

Comment

VNC has a benefit that isn't replicated in most places...you and another entity can be on their own client but see the exact same screen and each others interactions. It is a great troubleshooting and teaching aid. While a TMS can provide some user control, they are a poor substitute for a good SMS UI.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Guttag View Post
                        VNC has a benefit that isn't replicated in most places...you and another entity can be on their own client but see the exact same screen and each others interactions. It is a great troubleshooting and teaching aid. While a TMS can provide some user control, they are a poor substitute for a good SMS UI.
                        So far I can only remember one thing that I can not access in the GDC GUI through the TMS, and thats the re-marry button to remarry the IMB. I just have the custo0mer push the button for me when I get the other data entered. DCI does not allow that to take place remotely, probably not over VNC either.

Comment

Barry didn't mention a TMS in his original post, and so I'm guessing that he operates his servers directly through the SMS UI, and is asking for our advice from that perspective. A TMS is arguably overkill for a two-screen, especially if the two servers are set up to transfer content directly to and from each other over a media LAN. One of the many things I liked about the Dolby DSS line is that one of the servers could be set up to act as a "mini TMS" for a small group of them (up to 3 or 4, if I remember correctly).

Barry also asked about the Enterprise Storage Plus. As Steve mentioned, there are various sizes and configurations of external RAID box that GDC sells to go with their unique server/media block hybrid (the media block and server software/processing are on the board that goes in the projector, but not the RAID, which is in an external box and connected via eSATA): which one you choose will depend on how much storage you need. The smallest, which can hold four 2.5" drives but ships with just three installed by default, could theoretically give you up to about 5.7 TB of available storage (4 x 2 TB drives); I can only see an argument for buying the larger, 2RU unit that contains up to five 3.5" drives if you're going to need more capacity than that, e.g. if you regularly host festivals that require a large amount of content to be ingested and immediately available.

Comment

The SR1000 comes in a 2 or 4k configuration. Not mentioned yet, the HDMI is 2.0, a big plus. The player also remembers its last input on boot-up which comes in handy if running a show with alternative content, no need to re-open the GDC Web-UI.

Comment

The IMS3000 supports HDMI 2.0, too, but I don't think it will remember if the input was set to HDMI after rebooting. I've a feeling that it won't.

Will the SR-1000 play 2160p HDMI, or is HDMI limited to 1080p? The IMS3000 can go up to 2160p30.

Comment

Working...
                              X