No announcement yet.

Q-SYS Corner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On small and simple designs, DSP allotment won't likely encroach. However, sometimes one has to consider which method/component they will use in order to "fit" within the DSP capabilities of their chosen core. Now, with the smaller COREs (Nano, 8-flex and even the NV-32 has a CORE mode), one is more apt to bump into a DSP ceiling, depending on how much "stuff" is in the design and what components one use.

For instance on a CORE 8-flex (used for all example DSP usage...naturally, the percentage will vary based on DSP capability of each size core but the consumption will scale), a 16x8 mixer, by itself, in the design consumes 4% of the DSP capability. Add another one and you are up to 5% consumed. Note that you tend to pay for DSP on the first item you use. Subsequent items don't consume as much DSP. However, if you use the 16x8 router, it only uses 3%. If you add another one, you will still only be at 3%. Clearly, with just these items, we are not taxing the system at all but as one adds capability and B-chain (EQ), that DSP consumption is going to rise. It all adds up. If you use any "Category 2" DSP (Feedback suppression or Acoustic Echo Cancelling), then you'll surrender 50% of your DSP power to have those capabilities in your design (not as common in cinemas but sometimes we have a microphone element to the design and the Feedback Suppressor can be a useful addition...but at 50% of the rest of the DSP allotment, it might be too big a DSP price to pay since one can often knock down feed by by careful EQ and using the Feedback Suppressor to "learn" the room nodes and what frequencies set the room off).

A larger impact on cinemas will be EQ choice. If you want to use Graphic Equalizers (traditional), you'll surrender 11% for 8 of them. If you want to "super-size" it and turn them into Flat-top Graphics, that will be 79% please! For those not in the know, a flat top EQ will have adjacent bands interact rather than having either proportional-Q or constant-Q. So, if you move say 100Hz and 125Hz up 3dB, the response will move up 3dB and flatten up there rather than appear as two fingers.

Screen Shot 2021-07-09 at 7.52.26 AM.png

Now, if you are comfortable with parametric eq, not only will you do a better/lower damage eq job, you will only have to pay 5% of your DSP for the same or better EQ job. If you run more than one screen on one core, these percentages can add up on you.

Comment

• Q-SYS Designer Software (QDS) 9.2.0 has hit the download site. Please note, you HAVE to step through 9.1.x on your way to 9.2.x to pick up your problems...er "security" updates.

I'd think one feature that may get some notice on the cinema side of things is the "Theming" where one can put in a "dark mode." I'm not too sure i like their dark color theme but it is what it is. And, I guess, to make the Dark/Light theme easier, the look of the components in the schematic view are now no longer "gloss." If you've gotten into CSS (style sheets), then that has expanded and will likely continue to do so.

So, what's new?

What's New in 9.2.0

Version 9.2.0 includes these new features, updates, and resolved issues.

Audio

Software Dante updates
      CDN64 Dante Audio Bridge Card updates
      Timeline Player: Pulldown Correction property for LTC synchronization

Video

CEC support for NV-32-H (Core Capable)
      AV Stream Router improvements
      NV-32-H control indexing changes: 0-based to 1-based
      Generic HDMI Source is now Generic AV Source

Control

UCI Controller [BETA]
      Media Display
      UCI Styles: CSS icon fonts
      UCI Styles: CSS pressed button styles
      UCI Styles: CSS @import support
      Lua: Support for PKI-based authentication with SSH clients
      Lua: Support for 'interactive mode' with SSH clients
      Lua: Snapshot methods now documented

Management

Enterprise Manager: Assets viewer
      Enterprise Manager: System up-time and status notifications
      DNS enhancements
      Proxy support
      Media file UI updates

Platform

Secure HTTPS connections
      Q-SYS Designer Software refresh
      Themes [BETA]
      Updated sample design

Resolved Known Issues
      • Audio: Custom channel Names (formerly Labels) in one or more Software Dante TX components are now reflected properly in Dante Controller and vice versa.
      • Audio: An issue that caused some CX-Q amplifiers to show a "Missing - Product License Required" status after updating the firmware or power-cycling the amplifier has been resolved.
      • Video: PTZ camera streams over USB bridging no longer show the "Leaving Privacy Mode" or "Offline" graphic when switching resolutions in video viewer applications.
      • Control: In the Block Controller > Edit window, the Connections category now properly appears for Named Components that contain an ampersand (&), less-than sign (<), or double-quote (").
      • Management: In Peripheral Manager, a "Site can't be reached" error no longer occurs after setting a peripheral password.
      • Management: An issue that caused duplicate Enterprise Manager subscription notification emails to be sent has been resolved.
      • Platform: Connection issues relating to redundant Cores with Access Control enabled have been resolved.
      • Platform: Enabling Access Control while connected to the Core in Q-SYS Designer Software no longer results in a 401 (Unauthorized) error.
      • Platform: Sample design files originally created in older versions of Q-SYS Designer Software now open properly in version 9.2 and later. Sample designs are now available in Asset Manager.
      • Platform: A rare issue that caused Designer to stop responding and close with a certificate error ("RemoteCertificateNameMismatch, RemoteCertificateChainErrors") has been resolved.

Comment

• As many would suspect, Q-SYS is, at its heart, a DSP based sound system. However much of its power and appeal also comes from its ability to be a control device too (automation). in fact, one could put in a Q-SYS Nano and not have any Q-SYS audio and just use the Nano as an automation. However, if you have Q-SYS for audio, the control part of it comes along for the ride (sort of). If you do any scripting (custom modules) or user control interfaces (UCIs), then there are licensing aspects to Q-SYS and the cost of those is dependent on the size/capabilities of the CORE they are applied to.

Q-SYS can control things via GPIOs that are included on most of the product line. The DCIO/DCIO-H has actual relays for controlling things like dimmers or masking (yeah, some people still use them, thankfully). Ethernet and RS232. Furthermore, there are peripheral devices that can provide relay or even IR control. Those peripherals are often connected via the network (Ethernet).

Here is a control system I created that has nothing to do with sound and is JUST control:
        Screen Shot 2021-09-15 at 8.58.16 AM.png

From a single point one can turn on (or off) all of the theatres (the projectors, servers, lighting, you name it) from a single location and this UCI can be ported to not just touchpanels but most any device that can be on a booth WiFi (and on a later version QDS that supports Web-UCIs) plus there is an iOS app in the App Store (or whatever Apple calls it).

The other feature of the module shown above is that it shows what servers are currently ingesting (and what their progress is). This can be informative or, as in the case of this system, it allows the shutdown feature to skip those projectors/servers from shutting down until the ingests (all of them) are complete. So, tomorrow, the content will be ready to go (for those theatres that have an active ingest, it checks every 5 minutes to see if the ingest is done, if not, it checks back, if it is done, then the shutdown is performed). I won't go into all of the behind-the-scenes details on how all of this is performed as this is just an example of the kinds of control things that can be done with Q-SYS that have nothing to do with sound.

Does anyone else have any designs/ideas that they would like (and are allowed) to share?

Comment

• QDS 9.2.1 has been released.

Version 9.2.1 is a maintenance release of the Q-SYS platform. It includes these resolved issues.
          Resolved Known Issues
          • Control: Improved performance on TSC Series touch screens when using multiple pages within a single User Control Interface (UCI).
          • Control: HTML5 header font sizes and border sizes now process and display properly when setting Viewport Relative Sizes for UCI Styles.
          • Platform: When the Dark Theme is toggled, colors now display properly (especially pinks and yellows) in Group Boxes and other Designer elements.
          • Platform: Redundant Core configuration failover time from Primary Core to Secondary Core is now improved.
          • Video: Cameras no longer show as "None" in the USB Video Bridge control panel if multiple USB Video Bridges are included in the design with duplicate bridge names, allowing Zoom Compatibility mode to function as intended.

Comment

• QSC is discontinuing the G2 series of touchscreens in favor of the G3. The G3 appear to not have such wide bezels and add in controllable multi-colored LED lighting around the edge (not a full ring but a segment on each side). For those that are doing conference/zoom rooms, there are also new PTZ and virtual PTZ camera offerings. These products are not going to be shipping until around March 2022 and I'm sure we'll see a version (or 2) of QDS 9.3 by then.

Comment

• Hear ye, hear ye!

QDS 9.3.0 has been released. What new goodies does it have in store?

The ones that interest me the most are:
              • Being able to invert the phase on all speaker components. This can be a handy troubleshooting aide if you think you have a speaker out of phase without having to rewire anything...just tap the button and see/listen to the response change. It is such a little thing that can save significant time.
              • UCI Export/Import so UCIs can be shared (or perhaps ported to other designs). In 9.2 the ability to duplicate UCIs and then remap controls was provided. So, if you have a multiplex, you can duplicate the UCI from theatre 1 to theatre 2 and then just remap the buttons to theatre #2...I see the UCI Import/Export as an expansion on such capabilities. And, those that are savvy with CSS will also benefit with their UCI look and feel.
              • I'm also interested in exploring the UCI control pins.
              • I don't know about you guys but the "PowerSave" concept scares me. Thing that boast energy efficiency often have detrimental effects on performance (make sure one does NOT have "EEE" enabled on their network switches, particularly for Q-SYS, if you want things to work). They have their place, for sure. So that is one I plan to check out.

[EDIT to add in initial Power Save information]

From the Help file:

Power Management
              Tip: Use the PowerSave controls to reduce amplifier energy usage when input signals drop below the desired threshold level.

PowerSave Threshold
              Select the input dB threshold below which the PowerSave Timeout is triggered, from -99.0dB to -50.0dB (-80.0dB is default).

PowerSave Timeout
              Once the PowerSave Threshold has been reached, a timer counts down from this value, between 1 and 99 minutes (default is 10). At the end of the countdown, the amplifier goes into a reduced power mode to save energy.

Looking at a component, it would appear that it is not defeatable. However, one could set the threshold at -99dB and the time out to 99 minutes. I could see things being interesting in a Dolby Atmos theatre with Top Surrounds that may not get much activity...particularly when intermission time is added in that an amp will need to come out of power-save, suddenly. Conversely, if one is not running a Atmos title, those amplifiers that just handle Atmos specific speakers would be in an energy-save mode.

Release Notes:

Version 9.3.0 includes these new features, updates, and resolved issues.

Audio

Softphone: Domain-based calling
              Software Dante: Expanded Dante Domain compatibility
              CX-Q, CXD-Q, DPA-Q: PowerSave controls
              Loudspeakers: Invert control

Video

NC Series Conference Cameras
              Mediacast: Camera stream, routing, and USB Video Bridging re-architecture
              PTZ-IP Series camera improvements
              Camera Model property removed
              USB Transfer Mode property removed

Control

I/O-8 Flex: HID component support
              I/O-8 Flex: USB Input and Output component support
              Scripting: VSCode editor
              Asset Manager: Filter and sort assets
              UCI Controller: Export and Import UCIs
              UCI Controller: Control pin support
              UCI Viewer (Windows app) security enhancements

Management

Re-size and re-order columns
              Camera Resolution settings have moved
              Network Services: NC Series cameras added
              Enterprise Manager: Assets page improvements

Platform

Deprecated: Core 110f – USB 2.0 support for Video Bridging
              Deprecated: cgi-bin calls for media file management
              Deprecated: FTP server and volatile storage on the Core

Resolved Known Issues
              • Audio: Existing channel names are now preserved in the Software Dante RX component when upgrading Q-SYS Designer Software.
              • Video: You can now include all of the I/O-USB Bridge's inventory components in your design (USB Audio Bridge speakerphone and/or sound card, USB Video Bridge, USB In and Out, HID components) without receiving a compile error.
              • Control: Shared layers are now visible and editable after returning to Design mode from Run or Emulation mode if the Shared Layer's visibility was previously set to false.
              • Management: In Enterprise Manager, newly-created Organizations are now visible in the list immediately.
              • Management: Accessing Core Manager from an iOS device no longer results in an error.
              Last edited by Steve Guttag; 12-15-2021, 12:39 AM.

Comment

• These updates are coming so quickly that it creates a significant workload maintaining installations and computers running the software, IMHO; especially given that cores almost always hang during the reboot after an upgrade and need power cycling, thereby making remote updating simply too dangerous. IMHO, they should adopt the Microsoft model of releasing major feature updates on a schedule every six months, and only patch critical bugs in between.

Comment

• I have a retort!

There is no reason to update unless something brings a feature you desire so there is no extra work load. I have systems running on 7.1.2 and most every version between that and 9.2.1. They only update if there is a reason to do so.

The only cores I've ever had hang on an update is the CORE510c and they always hang. They are in a dual/redundant mode, incase that has any bearing on the situation.

I provide for remote power cycling of the cores so rebooting/power cycling isn't an issue for our designs.

I don't think QSC is fast enough on the patch updates because they want to fold fixes into feature updates...which bring new issues so I'd want patch updates as fast as need be and, again, if one doesn't need the patch because they are not using a feature, skip it. However, if they fix something you are using, getting it sooner than later is desired. Personally, I think they should always have a "bug-free" (or as well as that can be defined) of each version. So, if say 9.2.1 still has bugs, there should be a 9.2.2, even if they bring out a 9.3.x Each version should end on a "fixed" via patch version. I would prefer reliable versions over feature laden versions.

Comment

• The problem is that a given version of Q-Sys designer won't let you push a design into a core without updating it (and all the Q-Sys peripherals running from it), if that core is on an earlier version. So either you've got to have umpteen versions of Designer installed on a field laptop, or update the system every time you make any changes to a design. Given that this process can easily take 15-20 minutes for a large system, this can be a pain.

Comment

• One nice thing about QDS is that, indeed, you can have upteen versions on your field laptop. I do! More importantly, our support computers always have the proper versions.

Here are my versions from my handy Windows list:

Screen Shot 2021-12-15 at 9.18.58 PM.png

Comment

• It would appear that QSC has completed their DLP trifecta. NEC now has a plugin within Asset Manager.

Screen Shot 2022-01-10 at 8.57.14 PM.png
                        Just need to put in the IP address and the port number (different between S1 and S2 but other than that consistent.

One does configure the plugin for the type of projector one has (Xenon, Laser, dual-lamp)

Screen Shot 2022-01-10 at 8.58.20 PM.png

They have a 20-preset (Title, in NEC speak) limit, for some reason. The plugin sponsored by Chase Taylor (listed earlier in this thread) can handle up to 100 titles.

The Control tab:

Screen Shot 2022-01-10 at 8.57.31 PM.png

Fortunately, the douser status is indicated on this plugin.

Screen Shot 2022-01-10 at 8.57.42 PM.png

The status page will also show the xenon lamp usage, just hours and power-percentage for laser, and the two lamps for a dual-lamp (the control page is also updated for the dual lamp).

Attached Files

Comment

• QSC has released Q-SYS 9.3.1. The changes are as follows:

What's New in 9.3.1

Version 9.3.1 is a maintenance release of the Q-SYS platform. It includes these updates and resolved issues.

NC Cameras: White Balance Updates

The White Balance functionality for the NC Series Conference Cameras – including the NC-110, NC-12x80, and NC-20x60 – includes multiple enhancements and updates.
                          Seamless transition from Auto to Manual mode
                          Updated range for Manual Gain controls
                          "One Push" mode updates
                          Deprecated: Indoor and outdoor modes

Resolved Known Issues
                          • Audio: An issue that could cause distorted bridged USB audio after power cycling a Core has been resolved.
                          • Video: Actively using a Core's USB Video Bridge no longer affects the audio latency of Software Dante TX and RX.
                          • Video: The NC Series camera FPS value is no longer editable in Auto mode when the design is emulating.
                          • Control: UCIs that contain controls from components within a Channel Group no longer cause the Core to become unresponsive when those controls are accessed from a browser.
                          • Control: A "drawing exception" error no longer occurs in the HTML5 browser-based UCI viewer if a page contains controls with background-image (linear gradient) and opacity styles.
                          • Control: Visibility of Shared Layers when switching between Design and Run modes now works properly.
                          • Control: Icons now display properly in QDS when applied to a Popup Button.
                          • Platform: Wiring a Signal Snake input to multiple Signal Snake outputs no longer causes QDS to close unexpectedly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve Guttag View Post
                            QSC has released Q-SYS 9.3.1.

Version 9.3.1 is a maintenance release of the Q-SYS platform.
                            Is anyone else having significant problems with QDS version 9.3.1?

I've got three systems at three different sites with 110f or 110c cores that went from being stable on 8.3.2 or 9.1.2 to being problem children on 9.3.1. The amps (DPA4.2/4.3/4.5 or DPA8.8Qn) will all go "OFFLINE" every 3-5 days for no apparent reason, requiring a power cycle of every amplifier from the physical power switch on the back of each amp to bring them back online and start passing audio again.

The core is oblivious when this happens, QDS and Configurator show everything is online and trigger no alerts, even each individual amp's web interface shows the amp is online when it isn't.

QSC claims no one else is reporting this issue and has yet to come up with a solution other than attempt to downgrade to another build. Version 9.1.2 had UCI problems that are fixed in 9.3.1 so I'm not keen to go back to 9.1.2 if I can avoid it.

Comment

• I have but one system on 9.3.1. The boards (e.g. the Q-SYS Programming Super Group on Facebook) is littered with people having issues on 9.3.0 and 9.3.1, which is why I've avoided it. For me, 8.4.0 was the last really stable QDS that I trust...but...if you have a late model TSC-xx-G2 touchscreen, you have to move up to 9. 9.2.1 wasn't giving me issues on the site where I have a late model TSC-80-G2...but a problem I discovered with 9.x.x when running Dolby Atmos, where when an IMS3000 takes over the PTP clock in the morning could lock up the NICs (both) of a CORE 110 is still there on 9.2.1 (it isn't there on 8.4.0). I'm working with QSC on the problem and they insisted on updating to 9.3.1...which I have done, without incident.

My 9.3.1 system has an IMS3000, four CX-Q 8K8 two Dolby DMAs (one 24-channel and one 32-channel that are connected via AES67 transmitters), DCIO-H and a TSC-80-G2.

Generally speaking, when QLAN devices disappear, the problem is in the IGMP snooping/query area. I have IGMP query/snooping active on both QLANs of my systems (yes, I run the redundant network). That said, I've discovered that Dolby devices, like the IMS3000 can react poorly to IGMP and the switch can shut off the port on it unless one makes it a static port to keep it open for multicast traffic. So, at the moment, I have IGMP off on LANA but on for LANB so the amplifiers are going to be tickled for their status in some form and perhaps that is why I'm not seeing your problem (yet).

Do you have IGMP set on your network switch(es)? That is, is there a querier? Are they all set for snooping?

If you have a facebook account, I recommend joining the Programming Super Group as well as QSC's own community and report the issues in the open. You are bound to get more responses from people all over the world that will have been in many different situations that QSC may not.

Comment

• I had problems after upgrading to 9.3.1 at a site where I had touch panels randomly going off line. After working with QSC support I ended up rolling back to 9.1 and the problem dissapeared.

Comment

Working...
                                X