Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Series 4 characteristics

Hello Everybody,
    I was guessing.... Which are the minimal tech specs a Series 4 Projector has? They must be laser ?

As when the HFR appears and all the Series 1 stay away of the market, I´m guessing which will be the reason to shutdown the Series 2.

Thanks!

So far, series 4 is pretty much a marketing term from Barco.
    Series 3 projectors have internal servers with the ICP functions in the server, with no TI ICP board present.
    Series 4 ... not sure what it is. Possibly the formatters are different to get higher frame rates at 4k, but it may only be a different/faster ICP chipset? Or just marketing wank.
    If it is "new and improved", for now they are all Barco and all laser.
    Xenon projectors are becoming obsolete.

Comment

Dave the "series 3" Christie RGB lasers that I have installed are capable of taking some older servers/IMB's (IMS2000 for instance) and it is my understanding that the only reason some are not supported is that they have a second edge connector on the board (like the doremi IMB) that wont physically fit. So I would be curious about the ICP as part of the server thing?

Comment

Series 3 distinction: The functions of the ICP is now done by the OEMs, not TI (NEC still doesn't refer to theirs as S3, I think they consider it a late S2

Series 4 is more cloudy in distinction. For Barco, it has been the use of the 4K .98" chipset...which requires an improved ICP functionality (they move differently). However, the 4K 1.38" chips with Barco's RGB are also termed as S4. You'd have to ask someone like Tom Bert as to how Barco is making the distinction for them.

It is Barco's Series 4 but I don't know how much of an industry term it is. For Barco, it is a complete platform change in how they are made, how the cooling works even the communication protocol changes from the S2 (or S3) so I understand the distinction but I'm not sure there is an industry universal set of criteria for the series.

Comment

Ok, is what I thought each manufacturer makes their own electronics instead of buying them from TI.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Guttag View Post
            Series 4 is more cloudy in distinction. For Barco, it has been the use of the 4K .98" chipset...which requires an improved ICP functionality (they move differently). However, the 4K 1.38" chips with Barco's RGB are also termed as S4. You'd have to ask someone like Tom Bert as to how Barco is making the distinction for them.
            Since they recently introduced a "Series 4 lite" projector with only a 2K 0.69" chipset I guess the definition has become even more vague.

Comment

Series2 was terminology from TI, hence pretty well standardised across Christie, NEC an Barco. I've never seen Sony use it (?)

After that TI stopped naming next gen technology in a similar way, a.o. since the ICP development was opened to the OEM's.

For Barco:
              - "Series3" means: "A Series2 projector with an ICMP" (independent of the light source, lamp or laser). As indicatec by Steve above
              - "Series4" indicates the generation after Series2 and Series3. It is really a completely new design, from the ground up; there where Series3 still has 90% common with Series2. What defines a Barco projector as Series4 is -again- not the lightsource (RGB laser and LP models exist); nor the resolution (2K and 4K exist) much is anchored more about how you work with the projector. Web interface-based, Torx-tools for all service&maintenance-actions,.... What they have in common is their design philosophy for enhance automation and integration; it's no longer about pure specs... even though Series4 was designed to take those spec a notch up compared to Series2

Comment

Working...
              X