Barco ICMP HDMI defect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barco ICMP HDMI defect

A colleague just called and told me the HDMI (1.4) input on his 'classic' (2*DP,1*HDMI, HDSDI) ICMP seems to be dead. Did anyone experience this before, are there ways to diagnose an actual non-working HDMI port? Does someone know what a repair will cost approximately?

- Carsten

I'm assuming that your colleague has done the obvious checks to rule out the fault being upstream from the Alchemy, e.g. the HDMI cable and the source device that is feeding the signal.

If this is a hardware fault and the Alchemy in question is out of warranty, your options, and the cost, will depend on what repair options Barco/Cinionic offer in that particular territory. I'd suggest speaking to the dealer from whom your colleague bought the Alchemy as a first step.

In terms of diagnosis, an EDID sniffing device, e.g. HD Fury, would at least tell you if the HDMI interface is behaving as a sink and sending an EDID to a source device. If it is, the handshaking is working OK, but you']re not getting any picture. I'd then suggest running the self tests in Communicator (if this is a mk. I Alchemy, the projector won't be a SP4K, meaning that you will have Communicator and the self tests): diagnostics > tests > self tests.

Next, you could look at diagnostics > tests > video path > timing information, as so.

barco_selftests_vidpath.PNG

Note - this screengrab was taken on a projector with a standalone ICP rather than an Alchemy, and so this window will look slightly different with an ICMP installed. There will be tabs for the Displayport and HDMI inputs. If you look at the timing information for the HDMI input and see what looks like a valid signal, something could be up with the ICP component of the board, pointing to a hardware issue. If you don't, it would suggest to me that the problem is not in the ICMP's processing electronics. Could be as simple as blasting out the jack itself with a Datavac or air spray.

Comment

There is a software bug with an old version of software concerning the HDMI port. There is an info-t about:

Phenomenon
      Updating the Alchemy firmware to version 1.2.4.2 could cause the HDMI ports to function
      in an unreliable fashion.
      Cause
      Software bug.
      Solution
      This has been fixed in the most recent version. If you encounter this bug, please upgrade
      to firmware version 1.2.4.3.
      References
      1. Applicable products
      - Barco ICMP
      - Barco Alchemy projectors
      2. Software items
      - ICMP firmware version 1.2.4.2
      - ICMP firmware version 1.2.4.3 (as solution)
      Barco

Comment

Current is 1.4.2.7; 1.2.4.2 / 3 date from late 2016 or early 2017 at a guess, and so I'd be very surprised if Marcel's colleague is trying to install this right now.

However, if his HDMI functionality died immediately after a firmware upgrade, that is relevant information that it would be good to know.

Comment

I had noticed this T-Note earlier, but. this ICMP never ran that software anyway. I upgraded to the latest version (both projector and ICMP, but both were on fairly recent versions before), but the problem persists. Would it make sense to restore the input files?

For, now I suggested an HDMI->Displayport-Converter. For this direction, you need special active devices. Interestingly, the device I had for our own Barco works on their Barco only on DP-A - looks as if DP-B is also dead. They never used the DPs before, though. Does someone know wether these ports are on a daughter board?
          I feel there is something wrong about the HDMI socket. They were probably too sloppy inserting different sources, they should have used a port saver cable or splitter/matrix.

The ICMP is out of warranty. Having only one port left for alternative content is a bit problematic. Especially since this HDMI->Displayport converter is even more picky about sources/cables than the standard HDMI port.

In germany, we're not too far from Barco HQ.

- Carsten
          Last edited by Carsten Kurz; 01-30-2020, 06:41 AM.

Comment

I believe the HDMI 1.4 and Display ports were on the "Mezzanine" board on that version. I too have had an incident where the HDMI 2.0 port didn't survive very long. I have since always installed a port saver and used a strain relief the cable into that port.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Guttag View Post
              I have since always installed a port saver and used a strain relief the cable into that port.
              Steve, which style do you typically use? I may be doing a number of HDMI installations this coming year on IMS2000s and it occurs to me that the 90 degree style might be a better approach over the 6 or 8" little extender style.

I'll never understand why such an insecure connector was seemingly "standardized" for professional equipment connections. I mean, I know it's convenient for one off type things but it's awful for permanent style installations.

Comment

At least on the original ICMP, the HDMI 1.4 port had a locking screw thread below the socket to secure a cable. These are not standard, but I have seen cables that seem to match Barcos layout. Are these screw threads still there on the later HDMI 2.0 ICMPs?

They went to their dealer today because they also needed new lamps for the 6E this ICMP is running in. The guy they spoke to there told them that the only way to repair the HDMI board would be to swap the full ICMP. Don't know how educated that dealer is.

I was hoping that the alternative sources electronics were on the mezzanine board so there would be cheaper ways to repair/swap it. I have never seen any documentation on what the mezzanine actually comprises, I only see it mentioned in the ICMP docs.

Wondering why the Display Port B port seems to be dead as well. Upon plugging in the HDMI-converter, the A port instantly signals 'SYNC', Port B doesn't show anything, and the signal window in Communicator HW test stays empty.

Are there any HDCP-supporting HDMI->HD-SDI converters? That would be their final fallback option. They do not have any HD-SDI sources at present. But one of the reasons the HDMI port failed could be that they messed with different HDMI extensions and too much plugging, so, using HD-SDI instead of HDMI extensions would be beneficial.

Greg - I use a 90degree HDMI port saver on the fourth/free port of our AP20. I bring it to a 1HE rack front panel below the unit. I think I found that faceplate-mountable port saver on ebay, if I remember right. I simply used a cable-tie socket on the same front panel with a reusable cable tie to secure the actual HDMI cables connected to that port.
                One would think what with that arrangement, a straight connector on the AP20 back would be sufficient. I still voted for a 90degree type, because the cable load is still noticeable.

HDMI was never 'standardized' for pro equipment. It's just there on these expensive IMSs because consumer gear is so prevalent now in certain markets. Try to find a Bluray-Player or dish receiver with HD-SDI outputs. Let alone a notebook.

- Carsten
                Last edited by Carsten Kurz; 01-30-2020, 04:07 PM.

Comment

I have used Monoprice's version with an Extron HDMI cable clamp. There ARE high-friction HDMI cables out there too. The HDMI 2.0 version of the ICMP had the screws that allow for clamping the cable via various HDMI clamping methods.

Comment

Strain relief of both HDMI and USB connectors is a major problem with IMBs and IMSes. Many's the time I've seen either cables go wonky because they've been hanging by the weight of their connectors for years, and or damage to the actual jack.

I like the Barco B series projectors' conduit in the bottom of the card cage fairing, that has the furry lining to hold cables in place. It can make for a tight turn for cables going into the bottom card, but for the IMB or IMS above it, this works very well.

My usual approach for strain relieving HDMIs and USBs is to zip tie the cable to the nearest anchor point, but in some situations, the nearest thing you can loop a zip tie around is too far away for comfort. Self adhesive plastic zip tie anchors is another possible solution, but the problem with those is that they don't stay self adhesive forever, and when the glue gives out, it tends to leave a nasty looking residue on whatever you stuck it to.

A USB extender or hub in the side of the IMS, with the end user plugging drives in and out of that rather than the actual board, helps to reduce wear and tear-related damage to the board, as others have noted.

The HDMI type E connector (with a locking tab or screw) would be great, if any manufacturers used it. AFAIK, of all the major manufacturers out there, Gefen is the only one I've come across who does use it.

Comment

Working...
                    X