Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to keep on IMBs without using a cinema projector.?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dolby IMS docking station cat. No. 1743 is now available for orders, I'll receive one next week. It's quite cheap and I think it will accommodate any IMBs, as the power pinout should be the same. I'll try with a christie imb and a gdc in our lab and I'll let you know (both units have lost certificates long time ago and we are keeping them for tests).

Comment

Originally posted by Elia Orselli View Post
      Dolby IMS docking station cat. No. 1743 is now available for orders, I'll receive one next week. It's quite cheap and I think it will accommodate any IMBs, as the power pinout should be the same. I'll try with a christie imb and a gdc in our lab and I'll let you know (both units have lost certificates long time ago and we are keeping them for tests).
      I was going to ask you how cheap but seeing as you are in Italy .... Edit: I found one site that seems to suggest that it is around $230 USD.

Thanks for the update, and Dolby to the rescue, I hope they get the word out pretty wide so hopefully a lot of cinemas can save their IMB's before it is too late...
      Last edited by Tony Bandiera Jr; 10-18-2020, 10:44 AM. Reason: Possible US price added

Comment

I was going to ask you how cheap but seeing as you are in Italy ....
        I think that Dolby price list is the same everywhere and it's confidential...

Comment

The docking station arrived this morning and it can accomodate not only IMS (but don't try this at home ). It comes with nice fan noise (and no power supply)
          IMG_20201021_215601203.jpg

Comment

Did you check the Christie and GDC IMBs yet, Elia?
            I see you have it connected either to a PC or to a server. I wonder if it would look as expected and if it would upgrade upon connection to a newer software version.
            I don't see why it wouldn't, I don't know what failsafe mechanisms are there though.
            I also wonder (it is a rhetorical question) if that issue that didn't let the replacement of the coin-battery by using the second slot work could be bypassed using the docking station (with a hole on the top ). Like when one change a motherboard battery while having it powered.
            Nice piece of tool!

Comment

I've tried both IMBs today and they power on with no problem (but, as stated on the user manual, this docking station is designed specifically only for IMS1000-2000-3000).
              I tried to ping the board from my pc and worked, but TLS protocols don't allow anything more than this, without a DSS server.
              UltraStereo provides a battery replacement procedure for their IMB, which is very similar to cat 745, but I don't know if it's possible to do the same with the dolby board...

Comment

If the cat745 still has the original battery holders, yes you can, and the procedure is the same. However, Dolby's official advice is now to not attempt it, I believe because they were finding that a very high proportion of attempted field replacements ended in failure (lost cert). The procedure is a bit fiddly, and because the battery holders are mounted vertically, you have to be careful to (a) put the replacement batteries in the right way round, and (b) avoid shorting the contacts as batteries are removed and inserted (suggest wearing nonconductive gloves and using plastic tweezers). The procedure is roughly that you put a CR2032 in the smaller holder, then swap out the CR2477N in the larger one, and finally remove the 2032.

When a cat745 is returned to Dolby for servicing, they remove these two pill battery holders and replace them with a soldered on cylindrical one-time lithium battery, which they say should be good for 8 years in a regular usage pattern.
                Last edited by Leo Enticknap; 10-26-2020, 03:34 PM. Reason: Typo termination

Comment

Google just revealed the manual of the Dolby IMS Dockingstation to me:

https://professional.dolby.com/sitea...03-issue-4.pdf

Comment

Working...
                  X