Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The GDC SA2100 server has many flashing white dots above the screen

Hello All
    I have a problem. We have a GDC SA2100 server. Play DCP files on it, and you'll see a lot of white dots flashing at the top of the screen all the time, like in the picture. It has been confirmed by the test picture of the projector that the flashing white dots are not from the projector or the playing file, because we have changed many files. The server is down. These white dots are very large, composed of a lot of pixels, the position is relatively fixed, only at the top, please help me solve this problem, thank you.
    DarrySong
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 3 photos.

I forgot to mention that the two video cables used to connect the server to the projector have been replaced, which still cannot solve the problem. DarrySong

Comment

It could be the media block in the server, the projector ICP, or the projector input module where the decryptor plugs in to and where the server feeds, assuming it's a series 2 projector. Series 1 has more to possibly go wrong. Just using the test patterns does not utilize the complete signal path of a given projector... It's really there more to verify the light engine and do optical alignment. If you have multiple screens try feeding in a different server. But you will have to adjust the IP address of the other server to this projector.

Mark

Comment

Thank You Mark

I used NEC nc1600 projector. Today, I did the following tests. I connected the computer from the DVI of the projector. The image is normal. There is no problem. I found another HDSDI output camera to connect the A or B interface of the projector. It is normal. There is no problem. But as long as the GDC server is connected, this flickering white dot will appear with the beginning of the play, Another group of interfaces of the media block also have the same fault. I doubt that the media block is broken. The media block is very old. It doesn't have a black coat. It can see the components on the media block. I only have this server to test, and the projector only has this one. But I suspect that there may be problems with other things besides the media block, not the media block ,The Ti board inside the projector, the board is also very old and does not have a black coat, or other components of the server, power supply? Or the system is too old. This server system is really old. I dare not upgrade it, and I haven't found the upgrade file. Is there any other way to know which part is damaged?

Darry Song
        Last edited by Darry Song; 01-27-2020, 04:49 AM.

Comment

Then it is. likely the media block in the server. You should extract the logs from the server and send them to GDC Technical Support to have them read and see if the problem shows there. They may also have some other ideas as to why it is creating the speckles.

Mark

Comment

Thank You Mark

I've never tried to export the logs of gdc2100 server. I heard that the logs are encrypted. Only professionals can understand them with professional software. I'm going to try it. I think it may be caused by some signal interference or software problems, at least only on the top edge of the drawing surface. In addition, there is a new problem. Can I upgrade the server system? I don't know where to find the upgrade file. Such an old server may not be able to help me from GDC.

Darry Song

Comment

GDC does sell the sleeve that holds a outboard IMS and DigiCine also makes a sleeve type server https://digicine.com/mediaplayer/

Comment

In the latest , I found that the flashing white dots only appear in playing JPEG2000 format files, and playing MPEG format will not appear. Play the JPEG2000 DCP file of the still picture, or pause the play, still blinking. Darry

Comment

I'm pretty sure an ASIC in your media block has died. I've seen such issues before, it looks like your JPEG2000 decompression, which is done in hardware, is screwed. I guess it's being triggered by just a handful of wavelets, but even then, the result can be pretty destructive.

Comment

IMG_5134.jpg

Thank You Marcel

Looks like it, the media block is broken. The media block in my server is really old, it is different from what I often see, it does not have a black shell, you can directly see the parts above, I have another server's media block with a black shell, but when I insert this server, I press the play button, and the server prompts: Card failed to start or not found, what is the reason, in the Settings page can see the DCI card version 5.8, the server has been found the card, but the server is to play with cue CARDS start failure, I don't know is this server can only corresponds to a card, or the card also has a problem---I find another.

PS:I would like to ask about the RJ45 network interface on the media block is what?

Darry
                    Last edited by Darry Song; 02-03-2020, 03:05 PM.

Comment

I have a picture of a card just like yours that I took at GDC in Burbank, CA back about 2008 or 9. I am amazed it lasted that long with no heat sink! When you switch Media blocks between servers the certificate has to be updated to reflect the new servers serial number, otherwise it just shows errors. Only GDC can do this operation here in the States because of DCI, and they do it remotely. Might be different in your neck of the woods though as I believe it is also possible to do it with the correct data loaded on a USB drive. The RJ-45 is used to update to DCI firmware. Like Version 8.01.Build XXX. If you are at Build 7.8 or earlier then your server is not set to play back DCI content. In fact that open media block is also not DCI compliant.

Mark.

Comment

Thank You Mark

My server system version is 7.8.3. I just call the GDC technical support.I mentioned you tell me the two servers change media block problem, I get a definite answer, because of my very old SA2100 server, the serial number of the server and the server system firmware are tied together, media blocks can be directly replaced, does not need the support by GDC, if I installed the card show error, there is only one possible, is my new card is bad, like because there is no power battery lead to loss of data. Only the new dci-compliant server will have a media block binding to the server or something like that, at least not the media block card. Now I think I'll just have to find another media block and test it on another server. After making sure it's ok, I'll try moving it to the server with the problem, but all I can find is the black coated media block. There's no more open media block. That the flashing white dot above the screen is a system hint? because I think the flashing is controlled by the program, because the flashing has certain rules, and the white dot appears in a relatively fixed position, I do not know how to upload the video in the forum, if possible, I would like to upload a video to participate in the discussion.

Darry
                        Last edited by Darry Song; 02-03-2020, 11:50 PM.

Comment

Like Mark indicated, the "uncoated" media blocks are pre-DCI media blocks. They are not DCI compliant and therefore you'll not be able to get one new. You might find one on eBay, but since the certificates between de mediablock and the server won't match, you still need GDC to fix this and I'm not sure if GDC will assist you in this.

I doubt your current issue is any kind of "hint" from the system, it's most likely just a hardware defect. If it would be a watermark, it's a pretty stupid one, because it's pretty much visible, if it would be a warning, it's pretty useless since nobody knows what it means.

Comment

Working...
                          X