Dolby Vision Projectors Available a la carte

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dolby Vision Projectors Available a la carte

Looking forward to hearing more out of CinemaCon about Dolby’s new plan to offer Vision projection to more theaters outside of AMC
    Prior to the start of CinemaCon, Dolby revealed a plan to expand the reach of Dolby Vision in premium theaters.

I just hope they don't HDR every single film that gets converted. Other than that, it's great.

Comment

It will be interesting to see what they come up with. I'd be surprised if it is the same projectors that they currently use as they are freightenly expensive. As I understand it, they are more of a revenue sharing proposition rather than outright purchase, for AMC, at least.

Comment

The current Dolby Vision projection setup is based on two customized Christie Eclipse projectors, called the "Christie E3LH". Given that a singular Christie Eclipse projector ballpark figure is about $400K, you can extrapolate what the dual projector version with zone-dimmable integrator rod assembly and DCI certification will cost...

But this stuff has been about 10 years in the making, laser projectors have become main-stream and many of those "pure laser" machines should be capable of achieving a color gamut that exceeds DCI-P3. Still, the only way to achieve the true Dolby Vision specs of 10k nits per pixel will be via a direct-view solution.

Comment

Working...
        X