GDC SX-2000 does not allow RAID to be created

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GDC SX-2000 does not allow RAID to be created

I´m having a problem with the RAID in my oldest GDC SX-2000 server.
    For some reason it removed one of the disks from RAID.
    I tried to add it again but it wouldn't let me so I created a new RAID but it took it out again so i install brand new ones and it happend again.
    Now its working with only 2 drives.
    Has this happened to you?

Mike Moreno
    MExico

It most likely removed the drive from the RAID because it became unreadable (it went bad or the slot it is in cannot read it). What size drives did you use to replace the old drives? Additionally, what version of software is the server running? It could be that the drive bay itself is failing. There are several possibilities.

Comment

Each hard drive is 1TB.

I tried to change them for 2TB disks a long time ago but it doesn't support them.

Comment

If you are working with all new drives, and it still is kicking out the same one...then likely your "Raid Cage" has a bad slot now. You can try reseating the SATA cables inside (red cables) though GDC normally does a decent job of hot-melt gluing them in. I have had RAID cages go bad.

As for the 2TB drives, their support was software/firmware dependent. If you have reasonably current software, it should support them. And, in particular, if you are on current software, the Western Digital 1W10002, 2TB drives (part of their HA210 series for "legacy" servers) should be supported. You'd need to change all three...but again, you'd need to have a good RAID cage first.

Comment

In my experience its not usable with only 2 of 3 drives working. (freezes up alot) which to me makes RAID kind of useless to me in this setting.
          Until you figure out the raid issue you can connect a single external drive to one of the ESATA ports on the IMB and use that to run temporarily. The IMB can be configured to use that single drive instead of the RAID.

Comment

The SX2000 does not have esata on the IMB it is the version with the PCI cable. One can live play off a cru drive though The SX2000AR does have a esata port

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon McLeod View Post
              The SX2000 does not have esata on the IMB it is the version with the PCI cable. One can live play off a cru drive though The SX2000AR does have a esata port
              Ugh - you are right I confused it with the SX-3000's which I have.

Comment

Working...
              X