Argylle in HFR 2D with TrueCut Motion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Argylle in HFR 2D with TrueCut Motion

Seems to be exclusive to Dolby in the US? Surprised they were able to keep this under the radar til now.

Interesting! Can't all cinema systems show 48 fps? What is TrueCut? I've heard of the simple technique of showing the same frame twice when HFR is objectionable and using different frames in fast motion scenes (reducing motion blur). So far, the opinions I've heard of HFR are:

1. It's like looking out a window.
    2. It's like watching TV.

It will be interesting to see what this is and how well it works.

Harold

Comment

It’s a motion processing software that allows the filmmakers to make frame rate, strobing, judder, smoothing decisions in post regardless of capture frame rate. Cameron used it to remaster Avatar and Titanic. He also used it to create the various versions of Avatar: The Way of Water.

Comment

I watched this film last night and there are scenes that this would make sense.

Comment

Kung Fu Panda 4 and Godzilla x Kong are additional TrueCut Motion HFR titles with extremely limited availability.

Comment

Originally posted by Harold Hallikainen View Post
            Interesting! Can't all cinema systems show 48 fps? What is TrueCut? I've heard of the simple technique of showing the same frame twice when HFR is objectionable and using different frames in fast motion scenes (reducing motion blur). So far, the opinions I've heard of HFR are:

1. It's like looking out a window.
            2. It's like watching TV.

It will be interesting to see what this is and how well it works.

Harold
            It's like watching a 90s soap opera or reality show.

The first time I watched The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey in HFR I called it: "Cooking with Hobbits", because the scenes inside Bilbo's Hobbit house looked like a 90s cooking show...

I think they tried to fix some of the soap opera look in Part 2 and Part 3 by adding some fake motion blur to some scenes, but it still looked more like The Hobbit - The Musical rather than The Hobbit - The Motion Picture.

The HFR content in Avatar 2 looked stunning, as long as no human or human-like blue kitty space smurf characters were involved in the action on-screen. It wasn't perfect, but Cameron did it better than Jackson.

Comment

Working...
            X