DCDC Kencast server transfer speeds.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DCDC Kencast server transfer speeds.

Just had my first interaction with the new DCDC satellite delivery system, and I’m curious about something.

When the digital conversion happened I installed a wired network through my drive in, underground CAT6, all gigabit pro gear, the network spans across the majority of 24 acres but no excessively long runs, my booths and buildings are situated just right to where I could break off at a network switch, I think my longest run of cable is about 175 feet between two network switches. I also have extremely low latency even when the network is under heavy load, if I ping something on the farthest end of the network I will always get between 1-3 ms latency, no more.

I’m showing that my Kencast server is connected at 1 gigabit on the network. But when I try to pull a movie from it with an ftp ingest, based on the size of the content from what I can tell it is barely transferring at 80 Mbps. It takes about 3.5 hours to transfer a movie from my Kencast into my server’s storage when network activity is at its lowest. If I ftp between two of my SR1000 IMB’s they can transfer an entire movie in about 40 mins or less which tells me they are transferring around 500 Mbps. Heck even my old SX 2000AR can hit these speeds. Why can’t my Kencast do this?

I don’t believe my network is any of the issue. The gentleman who installed the Kencast did tell me they gave me a very old unit, one of their first generations. I don’t know enough about them to be able to tell myself. Technically I could pull the external CRU out of the Kencast and take it to a server and ingest, but I want to be able to ftp because I have a network that can support it at decent speeds.

I’m thinking either the bottleneck is happening in the processor of the Kencast, or whatever hard drives (or possibly SSD) they have in the raid array are not high performance.

Does anyone know much about these systems?

We don't have the DCDC systems around here, so I'm not really into their hardware. What are they using as their base OS? Windows or Linux? I've often seen that old hardware combined with old Linux drivers and software performs badly regarding network performance, whereas modern software, based on stuff like epoll performs great on even the lightest hardware.

Comment

DCDC transfers in the 80 Mbps sounds about right...maybe a bit faster than I'm used to seeing (and that is from DCDC to TMS/LMS where they are located feet apart...it normally tops out in the 70-80Mbps). I've never seen a server ingest much faster than 110Mbps...including GDC.

Also note, if you are doing simultaneous transfers from DCDC to the various servers, that will cut the speed down proportionally as it is just the 1G cable (and switch port) coming from DCDC.

Comment

KenCastCinemaPro3000.jpg
        Is it one of these? I think the nomenclature is a KenCast™
        EdgeSpan Cinema-Pro 3000, and is the unit I've seen most often.

To be honest, I've never had to interact with our unit. It sits in a rack on the top
        floor and content just shows up in our TMS library server 5 floors below in the
        basement. It's all managed and monitored 24/7 remotely by KenCast, and except
        for the front panel LCD display, I have no other access to it, so I have no idea what
        operating system it's running. It just "works",
        - - I think these units have been around since at least Y2k17 or 18, so even though
        the hardware may be a couple of years old, I know K-Cast has been pretty good at
        keeping whateversoftware it's running up to date, either remotely or by sending a
        tech out to check & update the unit. I think the last time they were here was last
        august, to make some upgrade to the satellite receiver.

If you're curious (and who here isn't? ) Here's a couple of pix of the inside of one.
        KenCast2.jpg

Nothing to see here. . . .
        KenCast3.jpg

Just for fun, here's a pic of their dish on our roof, with downtown San Francisco in the background- -
        NuMishSatDish.jpg

I went up here to check it after very fierce wind-storm last winter blew it slightly off kilter.

KenCast gets its' content from Deluxe via one of several terrestrial networks, and it's all sent by high
        speed fiber to a huge satellite uplink farm in Gilbert Arizona. I visited the uplink facility once, but
        unfortunately all those pix are on my other computer which is in temporary storage at the moment.
        Last edited by Jim Cassedy; 12-29-2023, 08:25 AM. Reason: To Synchronize My Syntax

Comment

We've had DCDC installed for at least five years. Our features transfer in under an hour. The only thing that slows down the transfer rate is if we perform the transfer while a feature is showing on the same media server, or if there are multiple transfers occurring simultaneously on multiple servers.

Comment

Working...
          X