SSD for Dolby DSS200 or 220

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SSD for Dolby DSS200 or 220

We have a few aging Dolby DSS servers with HDDs that are failing. Does anyone have a recommended SSD model that works well in the DSS line?

I haven't tried any. Most of our customers are now upgrading to another model of server/media block when their DSS servers fail, because with neither of the media block models are supported any more for recertification (cat745 and 862), it doesn't make any sense to invest in a set of new drives if the server could fail at any moment and then the user is forced to upgrade. The only exceptions are one or two places that are still using Series 1 projectors, and for those, spinning rust 1TB drives are now so cheap that the longevity advantage of SSDs in a server that will likely only be in service for another 2-3 years at the absolute most doesn't seem worth it.

However, if you do want to try, I've used WD Red SSDs in a number of different server models, all without any performance issues. Some of them have been in service for 2-3 years now. The only thing approaching a gotcha I've encountered is that in the IMS2000, there will be a constant nag/warning about bad SMART parameters, because it is trying to find spinning rust SMART parameters that obviously aren't there to be read from a SSD.

Actually, the price difference between the 1TB models is not that significant anymore, but if you want to go up to 2TB drives, the SSDs are a lot more pricey.

You will also need to find a 2.5" to 3.5" drive adapter to enable these drives to be fitted into the DSS drive cartridges. Any model should work, as long as it has screw threads on the side (not just on the bottom).
    Last edited by Leo Enticknap; 10-09-2023, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Most/all of my customers just buy new HDDs (1TB or 2TB, based on their usage). The cost of drives versus new servers is extreme. Plus we have a LOT of DSS system were one of the servers is in TMS mode for a "mini-plex." (We have a lot of 2-3 screen theatres). In fact, the discussion of what TMS to use when one of the servers dies comes up with each conversation. Thus far, Cine-Digital TMS and GDC are the ones that have been leading the way. We have not sourced SSDs for the DSS line and have stuck with Toshiba and WD's "legacy" HDDs (formerly HGST, Hitachi). They also work for GDC's "box servers."

Comment

AFAIK, Dolby never bothered to update the compatibility list to include SSDs. Keep in mind that those machines have hardware RAID controllers and your disks need to be compatible with them. Putting SSDs on a RAID controller that isn't compatible with SSDs, even if it somehow works, is asking for trouble. Furthermore, those machines have all kinds of hardware limitations when it comes down to speed. I don't think you'll gain much by putting in SSDs.

Comment

The DSS220 uses a software RAID (no physical RAID controller card), but point taken about the 100 and the 200. I don't know if those 3Ware cards are OK with SSDs.

Agreed also about your broader point: I also don't think there is much of a performance advantage to be gained, except possibly a longer service life. However, given that the media blocks that the DSS servers connect to are now all between almost a decade old and a decade and a half old, and are no longer supported for repair or recertification, then as soon as that breaks, down comes the guillotine on the entire system. Therefore, putting drives in the server that might last 8-9 years rather than 4-5 seems a bit pointless.

Comment

As far as I understand, trimming on SSDs is the missing factor here, to keep the drives alive for long.
            In regards to speed, on a DSS200 with spinning disks I get full network speed on ingest, even during shows.
            So, what is the benefit of using faster drives?
            If it was me, I would go for capacity, not speed.

Comment

Working...
            X