Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK, how? Indian theater plays "Oppenheimer" with "Barbie" subtitles

OK, how?

Theatre mistakenly plays 'Oppenheimer' with 'Barbie' subtitles, Twitterati react hilariously

Technicaly its possible ?

Comment

Originally posted by Shibu Paul View Post
      Technicaly its possible ?
      I don't know how, on a DCI compliant system, this would even be possible.
      My first instinct is to call "FAKE!!" on this story- but perhaps somebody here
      can figure out how it could happen.

Comment

I could see that happening with captions if the external captioning system was pointed to the wrong server. The system is configured with the IP address of the server and then connects to the server on port 4170. Maybe projector rendered subtitles work the same way, so subtitles for the wrong auditorium would be shown.

Comment

External captioning system not installed any Indian Cinemas.
          Attached Files

Comment

But are they using projector rendered subtitles using smpte 430-10 which MIGHT behave the same way?
            Last edited by Harold Hallikainen; 07-30-2023, 10:37 AM.

Comment

On a DCI-compliant system, this should be practically impossible to do.

The subtitles are clearly overlayed on top of the movie, not projected seperately.

So, my first impression is: FAKE.

Also, a big red flag for me: English captions for a movie predominantly in English/American spoken language? Maybe this is common in India? Or was this an "open caption" show for hearing impaired?

Comment

Do projectors using the TI internal subtitle rendering need to be configured with the server IP address to get the subtitles?

Comment

The first public showing of Barbenheimer!

Comment

Originally posted by Harold Hallikainen View Post
                    Do projectors using the TI internal subtitle rendering need to be configured with the server IP address to get the subtitles?
                    It wouldn't matter what's pointed where. The UUID's of the subtitle files wouldn't match whats in the OPPENHIMER
                    SPL & PKL.. Also, the file hashes wouldn't match.But wait, there's more: BARBIE is 6 reels, OPPENHEIMER is 9
                    - -so right off the bat, assuming it the OPPENHEIMER CPL playlist could "see" the BARBIE files (which it can't)
                    the system would know that it is missing 3 reels of content and refuse to play. Both OP and BARBIE are being
                    distributed as SMPTE DCP's (at least here in the US) which means that the even the subtitle files are encrypted
                    -- so, again, there would be a content & key mismatch that would not let this happen, or even let the movie play.
                    The more I think about this, the faker it gets. Oh, sure, I suppose there might be some extremely unlikely
                    confluence of cosmic events that could cause this to happen- - but the odds of winning one of those billion
                    dollar lotteries are thousands of times better than the odds of seeing a subtitle mashup like this. I call FAKE!
                    Last edited by Jim Cassedy; 07-30-2023, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Possibly fake. But ST 430-10 equipment does not look at the SPL or PKL. It fetches the Resource Presentation List generated by the server, then fetches the timed text files referenced in that RPL. If indeed it is subtitles rendered in the projector, and the projector is using SMPTE 430-10, which I believe TI subtitling engine does, a projector plays subtitles independent of the picture. I think it was just playing subtitles from another auditorium. But, as you say, possibly fake.

Comment

Working...
                      X