Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2-channel spatial audio?

Hello,

I've been told by a couple of sources that it's possible to achieve spatial audio in a stereo signal from a cinema projector, but no one's been able to tell me what gear I need to accomplish this. We currently take AES signal from a GDC SR-1000 to a DAX-602, to an analog sound mixer to mix 5.1 down to 2.0 to transmit to wireless headphones.

I'd like to explore trying to use spatial audio for a better guest experience if anyone knows what I'd need to do it.

Thanks!

Most "spatial audio" systems using two channels use "interaural time difference" as the main tweak to give a sense of "spatiality" to certain sounds.

While any advanced DSP should be capable of doing such a "downmix", I don't know any out-of-the-box solution that will be able to downmix 5.1 or 7.1 to a 2.0 spatial audio representation on-the-fly and with near-zero latency.

I know that some of the "Atmos powered" devices with a 2.0 output are capable of doing this for Atmos for consumer soundtracks and that Netflix also includes a pre-rendered "2.0 spatial audio" track, but this is all closed, non-standard technology.

Please keep in mind that a spatial audio mix really only works well to some extend, if it's being used for the proper setup. A spatial 2.0 mix for headphones may not work right for a normal 2.0 TV setup or an in-car stereo system, for example. Especially since many in-car systems use a four-speaker configuration, which would destroy the subtle timing differences that produce the "spatial sound effects".

Edit: Google came up with this device. I've never seen, let alone, used it, but at first glance, it's getting close to what you're looking for.

Comment

Interesting as DTS aquired the intellectual property of Circle Surround and the SRS enhancment system that Smart licensed for years

Comment

Working...
      X