Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

There Are 600 Versions Of "Guardians Of The Galaxy 3" ( ! )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There Are 600 Versions Of "Guardians Of The Galaxy 3" ( ! )

There is apparently a plethora of differently formatted versions of the new "Guardians Of
    The Galaxy flick (and how much do you want to bet some cinemas STILL get it wrong! )

This is from the HOLLYWOOD REPORTER- -

James Gunn Created 600 Unique Versions of ‘Guardians of the Galaxy 3’ For Various Cinemas
    "It's definitely the most complex delivery Marvel's ever done,” Disney exec Evan Jacobs says of Gunn's
    use of variable aspect ratios.

James Gunn wants to take full advantage of the multiple aspect ratios available in today’s cinemas when
    Guardians Of the Galaxy V3ens May 5 in theaters. To do that, the filmmaker took an ambitious approach by
    creating multiple versions of the movie for a more custom experience for each type of theater configuration.

“It’s definitely the most complex delivery Marvel's ever done,” Evan Jacobs, Disney’s vp of finishing & stereo,
    tells The Hollywood Reporter. The creative goal, says Jacobs, was to “give every exhibitor in the United States
    and in most international territories [the ability to] maximize their screen size for the audience. So wherever
    you go to see it, you’re gonna see the best version.” [
    I'll bet some theaters still get it wrong! - Jim C ]

The versions are catered to the format of each theater’s screens, but it goes beyond that. “Then on top of
    that, because [Gunn’s] got this extra real estate, he’s essentially said, ‘I’m gonna pop in and out creatively
    & you'll suddenly see something more immersive & bigger, that’s going to fill your screen,'” notes Jacbos.

For a version designed with variable aspect ratios, roughly 45 minutes of the movie is opened up to a flat
    1.85 aspect ratio while the rest of the movie is letterboxed to 2.39. This version will be available in select
    “traditional” theaters and some Dolby Cinema auditoriums.

Gunn “designed it and he shot and framed for it [with this in mind]. That was his creative intention,” Jacobs
    explains, noting that sometimes these moments where the screen “opens up” were selected based on the
    visuals but there were no real rules. “Sometimes it’s the music, sometimes it’s what’s happening, and
    sometimes it’s whatever.” Jacobs adds that the “really cool” 3D version also takes particular advantage
    of the variable framing options.

“Aspect ratio is something that James has really enjoyed being part of the storytelling process,” Jacobs
    relates, noting that Gunn created Imax versions with variable aspect ratios for the first two Guardians
    movies (additional Marvel productions had since experimented with Imax, he reports). This time, the
    director wanted this to be more widely available.

The team also created a version of Guardians 3 that only uses the 2.39 aspect ratio for certain “traditional
    theaters” and select Dolby Cinema auditoriums; and they mastered an Imax 1.90 version, designed
    specifically for the more square-aspect ratio of Imax auditoriums.

With this approach, Gunn is taking a page from James Cameron and Jon Landau’s playbook, who created
    an unprecedented 1,065 of Avatar: The Way of Water, including combinations of 3D, HDR, 4K, varying light
    levels, aspect ratios and high frame rates (as well as, of course, local languages), to offer a customized
    experience for each type of theater configuration.

It’s not uncommon for Marvel releases to have 500 versions, which is already considered a high number
    in theatrical distribution. According to Jacobs, Guardians 3 tops 600.

Asked about the schedule involved in the final weeks to complete these versions of the movie, Jacobs
    admits, “Marvel has almost become legendary in the postproduction community for pushing pretty hard
    on deadlines and kind of waiting till the last minute to make the movie as great as we could possibly make it.
    [But] the movie was pretty solid. It was the movie he was gonna make at the beginning. … We didn’t have to
    chase a lot of crazy, and the visual effects landed in a rational, sane way. We’ve all been just like pinching
    ourselves.”

“It would’ve been harder, frankly, to accommodate this kind of creative vision on a different delivery
    schedule,” he adds. “But we had the time and we were able to make it work.”

Jacobs says Disney distribution partners were “incredible” in getting this work completed, “and the fact
    that Avatar [The Way of Water] had sort of done something like this recently meant they were ready to go.

[ END ]

Original Story Link Here --> https://tinyurl.com/2423x5d8

I requested Flat since that's the largest format in our big house. They sent Scope anyway. Had to request Flat once more to finally get the right version. Cinemas are definitely going to mess this up.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Strube View Post
      I requested Flat since that's the largest format in our big house.
      They sent Scope anyway.
      I got at least 4 different versions via satellite delivery, but they only sent me keys for 2D scope.
      I really wish they had sent keys for both F & S, because I wanted to check on our screen (appx 55ft)
      and see which version looked better to me. I tried to get another key, but I'm not part of management
      or the "booking team" (who are actually located abt 1000mi away andhave never even been to the
      theate
      r) and so I'm 'stuck' with the scope version they sent. But I wish I could have compared both.
      I also notice there's a difference in running time between the IMAX version and all the others.

--> TRIVIA: This Saturday is the 107th year of operation for the theater I'm at.
      It opened on May 6th, 1916.
      Last edited by Jim Cassedy; 05-04-2023, 09:21 PM.

Comment

Can I get a 1:33 B&W Silent version please?

Comment

Originally posted by Martin McCaffery View Post
          Can I get a 1:33 B&W Silent version please?
          at 16 fps...

Comment

I attended an EDCF meating in February, with a session about the AVATAR 2 release and distribution challenges, and the Disney person attending indeed said that around 1000 different DCP versions have been created and distributed for AVATAR 2.
            The initial calculation was around 5000, then they started to reduce Lighststorms ambitions to realistic numbers. One result was that they did not release quite a few 7.1 combinations. So, they had something to build on for Guardians III.
            Last edited by Carsten Kurz; 05-06-2023, 08:17 AM.

Comment

I requested Flat since that's the largest format in our big house. They sent Scope anyway.
              Can't you just call Deluxe or your booker and tell them you want the Flat key? You probably got both versions on your delivery -- we did, anyway.

Comment

Working...
              X