Barco Ballast Issue? Tech Needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barco Ballast Issue? Tech Needed.

We have a Barco FLM-R22+ projector that was used sparingly during the pandemic and now that we are back to using it more regularly we are having LPS issues and the new Osram 3000w bulb won't even strike. The Osram tech thinks it is a ballast issue. We do not have a Barco tech. Any recommendations on who to contact for service in Northern California or where to send the projector for service?

The code we get with the old lamp is "One LPS down reduced power".
    The new lamp won't even strike successfully. The projector just attempts to strike and then goes into the 5 minute cool down.

Comment

You can call Stephen Shelly, BACP tech if you like. 510 470 4424. No guarantee but he may have an idea. He does travel to Willits and Ft. Bragg from time to time.

Comment

Thank you Sam!

Comment

I haven't heard of this model before, but looking on Barco's website, it looks like a DP1500 chassis (the spare parts listing on Barco's website shows Series 1 cooling system parts) but with electronics for non-DCI projection in special event venues, etc.

From that error message, I would guess that you need a new lamp power supply module. One is not listed on the website entry for the FLM-R22+, but I would guess that this is what you need. Worth confirming with Cinionic that this is the case, though. Alternatively, you could take the back cover off your projector and see if you can find a part number on the lamp power supply module (I suspect that it's R765523K). The module sits horizontally at the bottom of the chassis, and slides in and out from the back. Be careful not to touch any high voltage terminals when you have that cover off, though. As the same model of lamp power supply module is used in Series 2 projectors, it is still available, though I'm not sure about the lead time.

The company I work for is out of SoCal, so it would be very pricey to have us up on a service call (though we could quote for that if you can't find anyone closer). However, if you'd just like to order the part, feel free to contact sales {at} movingimagetech.com for a quote.
          Last edited by Leo Enticknap; 04-05-2023, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Thanks Leo. I will pull the module out this weekend and look for the model number.

Comment

FLM, that takes me back a few years. 'Portable' because it has handles on.

What Leo said, plus I would add, if you can identify ehcih LPS is bad, and disconnect it, the projector may run on one successfully. I have seen a failure mode where the bad LPS drags the other down and the lamp cannot ignite. I've seen that on Series 2 B series cinema projectors also.

Comment

I have worked on maybe 8 of these. Now obsolete, and uncommon because support (parts etc) is sketchy at best and most were rental units... rental houses don't hang on to stuff they can't keep running.
                Pretty much a DP1500/2000 with the pressurized cooling system so it can run in any orientation. And of course no cinema boards or secure light engine covers. There's a complicated remote control IIRC. 1920x1080 chips rather than the cinema format's 2048x1080. The lamphouse is not the same as a DP1500/2000.
                The LPS is the same as a cinema model I believe, the same two PS modules in the same place. Probably yours has the two-in-one LPS module and not the newer type with separate modules that independently slide into a bracket (very late DP1500/2000 ones have the newer type, or maybe I worked on ones with it already updated). Barco no longer supports the two-in-one type (the two modules share a single wide faceplate) so a failure means finding a used one and swapping out the whole thing, swapping in one module (won't be fun), or replacing the whole assembly with the new bracket and two new modules ($$$). I don't think a new type single module could be modified to use in that long faceplate but maybe? The actual modules look identical across all models that use them except for that faceplate business, they are completely independent with DC and control cables linking them. Barco used a single module for up to 2kW, two for up to 4kW, and three for up to 6500W.
                There are status LEDS and they should be looking the same on both. If one looks different and has a red LED on or flashing... not good.
                The "ELCA box" input assembly is also very different from cinema ones. The LE plugs in the same though.
                One weirdness is the lamphouse and lamp changing. First, the lamphouse is not made to have easy access for lamp changes. Then you can't reset the lamp data without an authorizing dongle and the "projector toolset" program. The dongles are, of course, no longer available. Lamphouse replacement/exchange or possibly having a trained tech - one with the dongle they got at the Barco training - do the job is expected. The "lamp" part R9854535 is a complete lamphouse with 3kW xenon lamp, the service manual does cover replacing just the lamp though and the adapters work for 3000W cinema lamps.. so you can physically change the lamp but you can't reset the hours.

I relamped a few and left the operators with the current lamp hours and the future hours when a new lamp should be put in. It will always have a "lamp expired" error but it does work.

Best plan is to get a new laser projector. Brighter image and uses way less power producing way less heat. Plus a crazy amount quieter.

Comment

Working...
                X