• Barco New new projector models

Hello everyone
    Barco will soon release new projector models
    SP4K-15B
    SP4K-20B
    SP4K-25B
    Don't know what's so special about it?
    ​

They mount the 4K B DLP (1.38) chip instead of the 4K C (0.98)

Comment

What are the advantages and why would you want to do this?

Comment

better stability. They had a lot of warranty issues on failed light engines with the 0.98" chips. Plus 1.4 inch chips offer better contrast. Christies have always been 1.4 in on these light sizes.. So now there is real competition.

Comment

Where are you getting better contrast? The 1.38" SP4K models have a 2000:1 contrast ratio whilst the .98" SP4K models have a 2300:1 contrast ratio.

The .98" chipset is showing itself to have a problem with pixel stick. I'm hearing that TI has addressed the issue and a newer version of the .98" 4K chips are being issued. So, using the 1.38" chips should avoid all of that as they are the same as used on classic "B" projectors. As such, normal lens Throw Ratios apply. I'd think that they'd get more light per laser lumen output with the larger chips too.

Note, the Barco SP4K-B projectors are significantly longer than their C and Xenon based B projectors.

Comment

If I have well understood, these B models will be more similar to the C ones (as they will need the same laser source). The choice of using the B chip is mostly related to the availability of the chip itself

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Guttag View Post
              Where are you getting better contrast? The 1.38" SP4K models have a 2000:1 contrast ratio whilst the .98" SP4K models have a 2300:1 contrast ratio.

The .98" chipset is showing itself to have a problem with pixel stick. I'm hearing that TI has addressed the issue and a newer version of the .98" 4K chips are being issued. So, using the 1.38" chips should avoid all of that as they are the same as used on classic "B" projectors. As such, normal lens Throw Ratios apply. I'd think that they'd get more light per laser lumen output with the larger chips too.

Note, the Barco SP4K-B projectors are significantly longer than their C and Xenon based B projectors.
              We have a new SP4K-12 that will be installed this summer. It was produced a few months ago so I assume we'll have the problem TI chip? Will Barco proactively replace this with the newer part or do we need to wait for failure first?

Comment

That is a question for Cinionic/Barco. If you received the projector a few months ago, it definitely will have the chips that are likely to get a stuck pixel within a couple of years.

Comment

interesting about the contrast ratio. With 2K chips the larger chips were delivering higher contrast ratio - but I remember the smaller 2K chips were in fact 1/4 of a 4K chip and 4K chip naturally came with lower contrast ratio.

Comment

Different technology. The .98" 4K chips are of the TRP (which tilts and rolls) and it allows them to get the higher contrast..it also, it would appear, allows them to stick too.

As to contrast, the 1.2" (2K) always had a higher contrast ratio than the 1.38" 4K chips. The problem was the smaller mirror size and the inability to direct the light such that it could get a real deep black. The .69" 2K chips are ΒΌ of the 4K and yes, those have horrible contrast ratios. Barco is using them in their SP2K projectors and using the characteristics of the laser light source to increase contrast back up to a traditional 2K xenon projector.

Comment

Working...
                    X