Doremi Macro control via Bitfocus Companion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doremi Macro control via Bitfocus Companion

I was wondering if anyone else had tried Bitfocus Companion in a cinema setting: it’s free software enabling remote control of a wide range of devices via Elgato Streamdeck or virtual keyboard.

I’m using it for live events and room rentals, and I created a very simple interface that my team can use without any training to control our Dolby CP750, a Behringer XR12 audio mixer, a Blackmagic ATEM Mini HDMI switcher and a couple of PCs running VLC and Powerpoint, all from a single interface with physical or virtual buttons and without messing with my presets and settings. It's quite clever and saves a lot of time.

At this point there are no integrations for NEC projectors, Doremi servers and JNIOR, so to have complete control over the room I still need a VNC or web interface to my IMB, which is set up show a few select Doremi macros under the “Control” tab in Cinelister. And this is where my curiosity starts: since Companion can also send simple generic command strings to other devices in the network by targeting a specific IP address and port (this is how I managed to control the CP750, it was as easy as sending the usual cp750.sys.* control strings via TCP to port 61408 and making sure that every string had /n as a command end character) is there a public way (meaning, I can’t sign a Dolby NDA for it) to trigger existing Doremi macros via TCP similarly?

I was initially trying to target my Series 3 JNIOR to have at least light control, but while I seem to able to connect via the same port that is used in the Doremi default integration, copy&pasting the hex commands does not work, I’m assuming there's more than the simple "send command" hidden under the hood. Also, unlike "Raw" devices in Doremi Device Manager, the generic TCP module in Companion does not allow to set up user/pass, so every target device must be able to receive single command strings from unauthenticated sources, like Dolby does.

You may want to install the cinema application on your JNIOR to forward commands to other devices.

https://jnior.com/cinema-jar-overview/

One aspect of the JNIOR being that it can translate 'simple' to 'complex' protocols.
    Last edited by Carsten Kurz; 02-22-2023, 07:19 AM.

Comment

I don't know if Dolby/Doremi still requires an NDA or not for their API...they definitely did at one point. Doremi used a KVL command system that does work with TCP on port 11730. I have Eprad eCNA automations sending KVL commands that way. KVL is an unfriendly API in that everything is sent out as hex bytes and there are many of them in every command. There is also a bit of a learning curve to it to get one's lengths and commands correct. It takes no pity on the unfamiliar. So, even if you do obtain the KVL API document (it can't hurt to ask Dolby for it)...you'll find that there remains some work ahead to get the specific command you desire, formed and formed correctly.

Dolby/Doremi, on future API development is moving away from the KVL/TCP commands and going to WSDL (SOAP) based commands...which makes simple control impossible for many systems.

Comment

Ciao PIetro! You may ask directly Bitfocus developers: if you provide them specs they develop plugins for non supported products. I've asked for a JSD-60 plugin and they were very kind and fast. Probably the Bitfocus to Jnior solution would be the easiest, as Bruce Cloutier is always ready for help

Comment

Well that would be Kevin's thing though. If there are specs and you want him to look into it just hit up INTEG support.

But you can do just about anything with JNIOR and it doesn't have to be cinema related. Here's an example. These guys do their own programming after we got their initial application up and running. They're one of the few that we have private labelling. Once you've got your JNIOR you can label it however you want. In this case they leave here labelled like that.

If you are wondering... they are in an environment where ESD can be an issue. Occasionally the 4-20ma current loop expansion module needs to be replaced. So they are testing a new one before mounting it. We'll be ESD hardening the next revision of that.

Not a screen masking application.

Just thought you all would find it interesting. JNIOR runs the whole gig. We've been in these systems for a while. They initially had Series 3s in there.

clipboard-202303021108-g9vfz.png

Ugh... "Blowback"? Sounds uncomfortable.

Comment

Working...
          X