NEC 900C Re-Marriage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEC 900C Re-Marriage

Hi!!! This is my first post, and please excuse my english. We purchased a NEC 900C projector at auction for color postproduction and DCP testing, however, we are unable to perform the re-marriage between the media block via the DCC S2 software with the projector, since we do not have the user login or the passcode required by DCC s2 (both instalation and service modes), and it is impossible to obtain at the moment; the movie theater where the projector was auctioned off, It was closed more than 5 years ago. In this case, It is possible to return the project to its factory settings and enter a new username and password? Are there factory passwords and user to perform the re-marriage (like instalation and services mode)? The manual does not indicate anything, except to speak to the "administrator" in these cases. Thanks a lot.​

Marriage credentials are standard and related to the manifacturer of the server installed in the projector. You should get in touch with a certified installer or technical support (probably Dolby/Doremi or GDC...).

Comment

Also know...if this unit has been off for a protracted period of time (you say the place closed 5-years ago), it is very possible that the mediablock has lost it's certificate (some use a battery, some use a capacitor)...if that is the case, no password or user in the world will clear the marriage, a new server (or getting the current one to have its certificate replaced...a potentially lengthy process, if it is even offered, at this time).

Comment

What server/media block is built into that NC900?

Comment

Originally posted by carsten kurz View Post
          what server/media block is built into that nc900?
          doremi ims 1000

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Guttag View Post
            Also know...if this unit has been off for a protracted period of time (you say the place closed 5-years ago), it is very possible that the mediablock has lost it's certificate (some use a battery, some use a capacitor)...if that is the case, no password or user in the world will clear the marriage, a new server (or getting the current one to have its certificate replaced...a potentially lengthy process, if it is even offered, at this time).
            OMG!!! hope not!!!

Comment

The IMS1000 can only be without power for 6-months before its certificate capacitor depletes. I don't believe that one is serviceable anymore. You are likely looking at a new server to get it up and running DCPs again. But, it is always worth asking your local service company and/or possibly reaching out to Dolby (who now owns the Doremi technology) to see if anything can be done.

Comment

We purchased a NEC 900C projector at auction for color postproduction
                Also please be aware that the 900C is really not the most suitable machine for post production. First because it does not use Xenon lamps, second because of the very low contrast ratio - typical of those DLP chips it mounts but the 900C is probably the worst of the lot. Just bear that in mind, it's still a DCI projector but if you look at official Post Production requirements, the 900C won't meet that.

If you are not qualified, I would definitely ask a cinema technician to take a look - cleaning, software upgrade, filters, ascertain whether the server still works etc. Cinema projectors are not exactly like consumer projectors, there's a lot going on behind them and if you don't have the knowledge - or simply access to the files and documentation - it might be a long rabbit hole for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Marco Giustini View Post

Also please be aware that the 900C is really not the most suitable machine for post production. First because it does not use Xenon lamps, second because of the very low contrast ratio - typical of those DLP chips it mounts but the 900C is probably the worst of the lot. Just bear that in mind, it's still a DCI projector but if you look at official Post Production requirements, the 900C won't meet that.

If you are not qualified, I would definitely ask a cinema technician to take a look - cleaning, software upgrade, filters, ascertain whether the server still works etc. Cinema projectors are not exactly like consumer projectors, there's a lot going on behind them and if you don't have the knowledge - or simply access to the files and documentation - it might be a long rabbit hole for you.
                  I agree fully with Marco on this.

Manuel, if you are going to do post production QC this NEC 900 will not work at all, and you WILL end up with many very unhappy clients as when their DCPs hit regular cinemas, the contrast and brightness (as well as color values) will be way off.

Since the IMS1000 is also toast, you would be far better off reselling this projector to someone who has little or no use for DCP content, and use the funds to get a DCI Post compliant Christie or Barco. In fact, there is a set of Barcos on sale here in the FT forums that would do the job, and they include MIT pedestals, Doremi Servers AND short throw lenses. And the price is fantastic.

http://www.film-tech.com/vbb/forum/e...vers#post26800

Edited to add: If the location for the projectors is where I think it is, I know that they can ship worldwide at reasonable cost.

Comment

Dolby has been able to reinstall certificates on IMBs and IMSs, provided that there is nothing else substantial wrong with the board. I believe they charge in the neighborhood of $500 for this service. I'm aware of two locations that were able to have their IMBs recertified in the past 1-2 years. You will need to get an RMA from a Dolby reseller in order to send your IMB/IMS out to be recertified. The turnaround time can be 2-3 weeks.

Comment

They can on models that they still support. I have had Doremi IMBs and IMS2000s recertificated in the last year, but am not sure about the IMS1000. It can't hurt to ask, though. They won't re-cert the Dolphin, cat745, or cat862 anymore - these media blocks have been declared EOL / EOS.

Comment

The reason colorists would never use an NC-900 is because it uses high pressure mercury lamps. But colorists also hate laser projectors because the spectrum out of them is not like xenon, however they will generally do check their work on a laser projector

The NC-900 was made for small rooms and also as an affordable projector back during digital conversions. The 900 allowed many theaters to stay open that would have otherwise closed.

Comment

Working...
                        X