USB boot on ISM300 is possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB boot on ISM300 is possible?

Good afternoon, I have a problem with an IMS3000 server where it does not turn on.

I wanted to know if it is possible to make a usb boot in ims3000​

Hi Pedro,

Should be - but you have to remove the original SSD before you try. Here's the how-to from Dolby: https://kb.dolby.com/CinemaKnowledge...BUSB-Procedure

You might also try to generate logs from the IMS using the following method (via USB stick, automatically) to diagnose:
    1: Ensure the USB drive you’re going to use is formatted as FAT32
    2: On the root of the USB, create a folder and name it “doremi”.
    3: Inside the doremi folder, create another folder and name it “report”.
    4: Connect the USB drive to the server for about 5-6 minutes, and then remove.
    5: Inside the report folder, there will be a .tgz file which is the detailed report.

Please remember that to be able to boot up the server from USB, you'd need to use the OS clone/file - you should be able to obtain it from Dolby support or your local tech.

Also, when booted, to be able to play encrypted packages, it may need a software update (with DLM), not to mention you will have to clear tamper errors and do a re-marriage when re-seating the IMS.

Comment

Is there a way to set boot order, book into an imaging tool, so you can re-image the boot USB in the server if it gets corrupt?
      Looking at the Dolby site, they want you to pull out the internal USB and use a special cable to plug it in and Rufus directly onto it.
      Painful and long procedure..
      I expected you could plug in a monitor and keyboard or use the BIOS to select a boot device like on any typical computer.
      Ie boot into a USB disk, running linux or similar then write to the internal USB using the IMS as the computer to do the work.

Comment

Try the console output mini HDMI. I have never used it t, but you might get a terminal window? No idea if BIOS setup can be accessed though.

Comment

What I did to create an image out of DCP2000s SVs etc. was using the linux dd command. Root access necessary.
          I had a USB thumb drive connected (2 or 4 GBs) and copied directly there. I could then use USB6 on the motherboard to run it.
          If the host was another similar machine, I could have needed the detailed logs for the eS/N credentials.

Root access granted, and secure sell enabled, one could also run the following (example out of raspberry pi):
          ssh user@<<Server's IP>> "sudo dd if=/dev/mmcblk0" | dd of=/root-to-local-folder/ScreenNumberImage.iso
          change <<Server's IP>>, /dev/mmcblk0 and /root-to-local-folder/ScreenNumberImage.iso accordingly.

All that with a working server (most probably not applied here) and it always runs an error for not turning the server properly off (because the image was created while on).

Now that I think of it with a working server, one can use the dd command with an attached thumb drive locally, instead of remotely.
          But it's always nice to have a remote alternative.

Edit:
          On an IMS1000 this just worked (out of a linux terminal):
          ssh root@192.168.1.11 "dd if=/dev/sdg" | dd of=/mnt/d/Filename.iso
          Saved on drive D. After zipping, it was something less than 900MB. Was 4GB at first.
          Last edited by Ioannis Syrogiannis; 01-30-2023, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X