Odd automation issues - IMS3000 + Christie S4 + CP750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd automation issues - IMS3000 + Christie S4 + CP750

Putting an IMS3000 in a Christie CineLife S4 projector I ran into some odd problems.

First, there aren't "channel numbers" in "CineLife" projectors with their new PIB (or whatever they call it now), macro name cus are used. But an IMS macro cue with the exact channel name does nothing. After a lot of asking around I found you need to put the macro name in as "PRESET macro-name". I searched the installation manual for PRESET and no hits. They actually can do channel number cues but only when you have a macro with the name "1" or whatever number you like. It seems silly to have macros with nondescriptive names just so the legacy channel switch method works. I did not try that way.

Second, the cue library included in the IMS3000 for a CP750 has cues as "cp750.sys.fader.50 \n" - note the space before the "". That apparently worked with previous software versions but no more. The space has to be edited out of the cue. Dolby will presumably fix this is the next IMS3000 version release. Embarrassing to have a Dolby server error trying to control a Dolby CP. I have not tried with a 950 or 850.
    I don't know if a software update disables existing CP750 cues but that's unlikely IMO.

Just FYI. Maybe save somebody some grief.

Yeah, I don't know what the S4 designers have against presets. Barco has dropped them to 9 on the S4 and while you can have a bazillion Macros, you can only assign them to 9 presets. It would seem like Christie has taken a similar approach to it channels.

What I like about presets/channels is that they allow one to have commonality in function. That is, if you make FLAT (2D) as your preset/channel 1...it's ALWAYS that, regardless of what it is named. One can set up cues that call that preset for any brand of anything and know it will be the FLAT preset (and likewise for the SCOPE and other commonly used presets/channels).

It's great that one can call Macros by their name too but for the more common ones, I'd like to be able to assign them to a preset and call that.

Comment

I am pretty sure we've seen issues where the newline termination was left off but nothing regarding a space before it.

Comment

The CP750 does not need a new line termination. However, it should not freak out if it gets one. I believe the CP950 does require one and/or possibly the carriage return.

Comment

Removing the entire trailing "<space>\n" works on the CP750 but Dolby told me to just take out the space so that's what I did. I don't know what the older IMS software actually sent out, maybe that blank was removed.

Comment

Working...
          X