NEC900c not switching formats.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Marco Giustini View Post
    Visually, it should be the same assuming you are keeping the correct colour space. If it looks "better" then I'd think there is something wrong with your Blu Ray setup (most of the time it's the black level set incorrectly!)
    Not necessarily. During the DCP conversion, each frame becomes unique rather than an on-the-fly master/update frames so you won't get the pixelation that can happen a real-time Blu-ray show. One also is afforded the ability to compose the frame/scale if need be to fit within standard DCP containers.

I have not had to reboot any of our systems to go between HDMI and DCP (or vice versa). Again, I have not worked with the IMS1000 as much as the 2000 and 3000. Doremi seemed pretty adamant about recommending that one make the input change via a "Live" cue in a show rather than switching via Macro. On the IMS3000, you can definitely just switch via macro but a lot has changed since the 1000 and the 3000.

As to referring to the system globally as the projector, that does not help your cause as it can cause people to focus on the wrong piece. The server residing in the projector does not make it really part of the projector. Furthermore, you have two different brands of things to consider (NEC and Doremi (now Dolby)). The paths to finding a solution are different.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Guttag View Post

Not necessarily. During the DCP conversion, each frame becomes unique rather than an on-the-fly master/update frames so you won't get the pixelation that can happen a real-time Blu-ray show.
      Might have to disagree here. The blu ray codec - whatever is used - won't look better if re-coded with something else, no matters how better the final codec is. The source is always going to be Master-Update - just the output of the codec is being fed to a JPEG2000 codec instead of a display.

Comment

Do an A-B comparison and see what you think.

Comment

I can understand there may be confusion unless everything is explained precisely. Especially when tech is concerned.

I just find the whole situation rather odd given that, from what I see, this is very out of the norm. Although as mentioned by someone else, they've had to do the same.

I've also suspected that it's possibly a douser issue? Given that when the system is not rebooted and you convert over to HDMI you'll get sound coming through the server into the processor via the hdmi port, but you're still left with a blank screen. However, I can switch back and forth between DCP and HDMI without a reboot and DCP will always work without fail.

I thought perhaps maybe the douser function was just failing all these times I've used HDMI but I always hear the douser function mechanically switch when toggled and it's never an issue in DCP mode. A mystery.

Perhaps it really is just the nature of the beast and the IMS1000 isn't exactly the latest in digital projection though it doesn't seem correct.

But, if we did more events involving blu ray I would just go the route of ripping it off to play in DCP since it does create an overall easier flow since no one has to be up there switching over. But then, it's the only time you can pretend you're an actual projectionist!

Comment

James, there has been a heap or firmware and security manager updates since the IMS 1000 was released, and also the NEC equivalent. These updates, have taken the HDMI input and switching, from mostly problematic to almost fully reliable.
            Are your SM firmware and OS version up to date?

Comment

Working...
            X