Devotion supposed to be displayed in FLAT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Devotion supposed to be displayed in FLAT

The release bulletin for Devotion states that it's a 2.20 movie and that you should display it in flat. WTF!?! We have a constant width screen, and following those instructions would lead to a tiny image in the middle of the screen. Can anyone give one good reason why they would do this instead of slightly windowboxing a scope image? Clearly we won't be following it but I can't help but think there are some button monkeys out there that will blindly follow those instructions on similar dimensioned screens.

It is I believe F220 which is a 2.20 image in the width of a flat container so in your case if you have a constant width screen screen when played in flat it will fill the width of your screen and if you use scope it willbe a smaller image in the centre of your screen.. If you have a constant height screen you really have to create the F220 and F200 macros so that the top and bottm isnt cropped off

Comment

Jon, You are incorrect on this one. F-220 on a constant width screen is best shown with the Flat preset as that will result in the largest picture. You cannot run it scope as it will be limited to the 1.85 (Flat) container, so your Scope preset will not fill the screen in width...the image will be letterboxed too so you will have an image floating in the middle of your screen. Screen Shot 2022-12-01 at 10.30.13 AM.png

Now, if you had a constant HEIGHT screen...then you'd want a custom F-220 format to have the maximum image on that screen without a "floating" image:

Screen Shot 2022-12-01 at 10.32.25 AM.png

Comment

You guys are right, I misstated our screen. It is constant height. Got confused...

Comment

We have updated all our theatres with F2.20 F200 and also 1.66:1 and 1.33:1 hust because these formats are being used in some content we have been receiving

Comment

You have the projectors switch aspect ratios back and forth between the trailers and the features for every show?

Comment

I tried to see this the other day. Not only was it unbearably dim, but they presented it flat on their scope screen so it was windowboxed. I was able to convince the manager to replace the lamp after the showing and double check if they had a preset so it would fill the height. Haven’t had a chance to go back and actually see the film yet.

Comment

Finally made it back to the theater and the manager emphatically disagreed with me. They said the file is flat, so it needs to be played flat (on their scope screen). Look at the image, it’s clearly not a flat movie hence why it’s windowboxed on your scope screen. Alas, don’t seem to have any local theater options that understand how to properly mask for this movie.

Comment

That's what I'm talking about, a theater manager who clearly doesn't understand (or care) how digital cinema works. I wonder how many people are seeing this movie in a tiny windowbox on a scope screen.

Comment

Technically, it is a "Flat" movie because it has the "F" designation for a flat container. So, the manager is not wrong. Merely selecting scope may be a compromise that you prefer but it will crop image and still not fill the width of the screen.

F220.jpg

Comment

I'll be setting up a custom lens macro when we show it.

I was referring to that managers statement that it 'has' to be played back flat. Like it's some kind of absolute. Now if they don't have the ability to create a macro then okay, I get that.

Comment

The manager wouldn’t even comment on the subject of macros when I brought it up. She said it’s flat so we’re playing it flat.

Given that there’s precedent on least on the film side of things to crop 2.20 70mm movies down to 2.39 for 35mm projection, I would expect some minor level of cropping in the interest of maximizing the projected image area for the screen in-use to be a *standard* reasonable backup option to not having a macro.
                        Last edited by Scotty Wright; 12-05-2022, 03:36 PM. Reason: *standard*

Comment

Yeah .... I had same issue. Looked like crap when played in Flat as designated on the dcp file. Putting it in scope may have resulted in slight cropping ....but over all its a much better presentation like that regardless.

Comment

Originally posted by Scotty Wright View Post
                            The manager wouldn’t even comment on the subject of macros when I brought it up. She said it’s flat so we’re playing it flat.

Given that there’s precedent on least on the film side of things to crop 2.20 70mm movies down to 2.39 for 35mm projection, I would expect some minor level of cropping in the interest of maximizing the projected image area for the screen in-use to be a *standard* reasonable backup option to not having a macro.
                            In the manager's defense, she has a studio letter that directs her to play it "FLAT" so she is not wrong for her position. She likely lacks the training to know why it may be okay to play it in Scope, her TMS system (if present) may not know how to play an F-220 as Scope (since it will just know it is Flat).

As to the before-times on 65mm origination (2.2:1) with the knowledge of a 35mm Scope release...that no longer applies. With Digital Cinema, particularly in this maskingless world of chaos, all movies are to be presented with all pixels present. There are safe-action and safe-title areas, so yes, you can crop due to keystone. However, there won't be additional cropping allowed for due to 2.2 being played on a 2.39 format. I'd say that you'd get away with it 95% of the time but there is going to be that movie that has something vital in the cropped section or someone puts captions/subtitles chasing the bottom of the image where the combination of format cropping + any cropping due to keystone/stretch results in a noticeably cropped image.

Comment

Working...
                            X