Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would agree on that one.

Comment

Speaking as to design only, I have no particular problem with the barrel connector and it has not be a point of failure for any device we've installed that use it. If you want to provide a means of strain relief, you could do so by having a suitable point by the case where one can run a zip tie (various network switch manufacturers do this) or even provide a large enough loop in the case so one can make a strain relief by merely looping the cable (e.g. Shure wireless mic receivers).

I'd be good with phoenix type terminal blocks and no, I wouldn't tin them. If you want to go for something like that, one could use ferrules to prepare the ends. Shure.JPG

Comment

Compression terminals like the Phoenix are not recommended to be tinned A crimped on ferrule is the best

Comment

There are so many barrel connectors on equipment that I just can't see them as a problem. We try to mount Jniors fairly solidly and that's unlikely to fall out.The only problem is inconsistent polarity: 99% have the pin positive but the exceptions can sting, Barco DCTP touchpanels are destroyed by reverse polarity for example. (no comment on how I know that)
          But you've covered that possibility so I would have no problem with your solution. If I didn't like it, I do have wire strippers and a screwdriver.
          Tying the cable in a single knot around the connection keeps it solid, that's done with doubled extension cords often.

Comment

On an industrial grade product, for the AC/DC IN/OUT I would preffer some sort of screw in terminal/Pheonix type (with ferrules on the wires). If a barrel type connector is used, the most reliable (in my opinion) would be the type with a nut, so the barrel connector cannot be accidentally pulled out with ease.

barrel connector.jpg
            Attached Files

Comment

The screw down barrel is definitely better, for having a secure connection. Just know that would only work for when Integ supplies the power supply. Most people in the field are going to source what is readily available, which likely will not have the screw down nut.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Macaulay View Post
                There are so many barrel connectors on equipment that I just can't see them as a problem. We try to mount Jniors fairly solidly and that's unlikely to fall out.The only problem is inconsistent polarity: 99% have the pin positive but the exceptions can sting, Barco DCTP touchpanels are destroyed by reverse polarity for example. (no comment on how I know that)
                But you've covered that possibility so I would have no problem with your solution. If I didn't like it, I do have wire strippers and a screwdriver.
                Tying the cable in a single knot around the connection keeps it solid, that's done with doubled extension cords often.
                Typically, it's the wall wort that has the problem on a system like that... They are not high quality like a separate industrial grade switching supply that you can buy. I have never had a barrel connector actually fail, but with the molded on type the wires going in often do fail right where the molded plastic begins. That should not be a problem with one you connect up your self.

Comment

Working...
                X