Clock in GDC-TMS didn't switch to daylight saving time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steve Guttag View Post
    This is a known glitch. Note, the time line is actually 1-hour in advance of DST (so it moved 2-hours). I'm told by tech support that it will be correct tomorrow. It is a visual issue only. The shows should run at the correct time and the shows, as they appear in the schedule on the TMS should appear at the correct time.
    Then how come none of the 30+ TMS's I checked over the weekend had the problem?

Comment

"If it compiles, ship it."

One of the things that I've never liked about Windows (in my very limited exposure to it, that is) is that everything is hidden behind three layers of GUI and hidden settings. It's like trying to fix something that's under a heavy curtain and you're feeling around trying to find the screws on the access hatch without being able to see what's going on.

I'll take a config file that I can read and edit any day.

Of course modern Linux has moved into systemd and dconf and logs that can't be read as text files and so forth now too, so it seems the Windows experience is slowly moving over into the lets make this as obscure as possible camp too. Sigh....

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Cox View Post
        One of the things that I've never liked about Windows (in my very limited exposure to it, that is) is that everything is hidden behind three layers of GUI and hidden settings. It's like trying to fix something that's under a heavy curtain and you're feeling around trying to find the screws on the access hatch without being able to see what's going on.
        Really good analogy or imagery whatever... Leo. Good job! I think with Windows it is all or nothing and they move the access hatch and change the hardware as often as they can. How many systems have configuration in the exact identical place as the others? At least with Linux you have control over the build that you use. Yeah, there is a faction there that tries to satisfy the command line phobic crowd by layering on a GUI. Windows wannabees.

I am so fed up with this shit. I was thinking that I need to start a blog someplace and just rant. I could go on and on. I struggle to not do that here because i can get off topic.

Look if the JNIOR pisses you off in any way, let me know. Seriously.

Damn, Covid, tariffs, cost of living, wars... we are actually going to increase some prices on the 1st of the coming month. Honestly that is not me. The idea is to reduce costs but, no, we are screwed in every direction we look. But... we've just been forced into it.

Well, at least the DST thing isn't a problem anymore... not for a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Cox View Post
          "If it compiles, ship it."

I'll take a config file that I can read and edit any day.

Of course modern Linux has moved into systemd and dconf and logs that can't be read as text files and so forth now too, so it seems the Windows experience is slowly moving over into the lets make this as obscure as possible camp too. Sigh....
          LOL! I disagree! You have to think of Windblows as having different departments. Like Control Panel, Firewall, etc. Windblows is actually pretty easy once you learn what is in each department.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Gulbrandsen View Post
            LOL! I disagree! You have to think of Windblows as having different departments. Like Control Panel, Firewall, etc. Windblows is actually pretty easy once you learn what is in each department.
            Um... Mark? What?

So I've known Windows since 3.1 and quite closely. Uh... there is always some deficiency and no straight forward solution. Norton made his whole business before security on work-around solutions to Windows limitations. I've personally written some of those utilities. I appreciate the nomenclature "Winblows" but casting it as "pretty easy"? Uh, no. Over simplified to the point where solutions are non-universal and lead as a rule to guess-work? Yes.

But to base the reputation of your product on the ongoing performance of underlying software written and maintained by Microsoft... a questionable business decision to say the least. But if greedy fast to market is your goal, Windows I guess is a good deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Cloutier View Post

Um... Mark? What?

So I've known Windows since 3.1 and quite closely. Uh... there is always some deficiency and no straight forward solution. Norton made his whole business before security on work-around solutions to Windows limitations. I've personally written some of those utilities. I appreciate the nomenclature "Winblows" but casting it as "pretty easy"? Uh, no. Over simplified to the point where solutions are non-universal and lead as a rule to guess-work? Yes.

But to base the reputation of your product on the ongoing performance of underlying software written and maintained by Microsoft... a questionable business decision to say the least. But if greedy fast to market is your goal, Windows I guess is a good deal.
              IDK, I built about 40 TMS originally using Dell 2950's, then switched to R-710's and R-810's. Never had much trouble with Windblows because these systems really never get regular updates. They only run one program and two others. I only did updates a couple of times due to changes in the GDC TMS software. All but two of the 2950's are still running. I can attest that Windblows 10 does in deed get to be a pian, but once set up, TMS runs fine on it. I modeled mine after Cinedigm's rack except GDC did not require locking managed switches for their VPF program. So, no complaints from me on the Windblows stuff...

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Gulbrandsen View Post

Then how come none of the 30+ TMS's I checked over the weekend had the problem?
                Got any screenshots from Sunday to prove it?

You'd need to check with GDC tech support (as I did) about the issue to get an answer as to why you are so special.

Comment

I admit that some things would be a lot more fun if they didn't work so well... Nope don't take screen shots unless there is something really wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Cloutier View Post

Um... Mark? What?

Now, if you can say that you ran your Quick Books under your 3.1 then you have my attention. And again don't maintain your software. For a TMS there is little use in doing every update they conjure up. The only time I HAD to update Windows in a TMS was when a certain newer version came out where you can schedule moving content around. Keep in.mind too that all projector control software runs under Windblows.

Comment

To add further confusion, the senate just passed the "Daylight Protection Act of 2021" which redefines each time zone making standard time one hour advanced from where it is now as computed from UTC.

Comment

The GDC TMS installs its own time/NTP service and does not use the built-in Windows one (w32tm). You can see it in the processes list in the task manager. My guess is that there was a glitch in this service on the original poster's installation uniquely.

I had one site where none of the screen servers would sync their time with the TMS for some reason. Something was wrong with the GDC service. Rather than mess around with the very fragile GDC TMS ecosystem (postgres, an ancient and long obsolete version of FileZilla server, etc.), I then configured the built-in Windows service to act as a NTP server and opened UDP 123 to incoming connections in the Windows firewall, after which they all synced up again.

Comment

Folks, as Steve G. predicted, the boat did right itself, though I wasn't around to watch it happen. I swear, I never panicked when I noted this problem last week, but I did grumble.

I am not a codehead. Most of what is written above is undecipherable to me, a film guy who had to adjust as best I could to the new video projection world. I'm actually happy my question was answered so quickly and for once correctly. I'm used to my enquiries being shrugged off with some variation of "try clearing your cookies". (That has never solved anything! Ever get the feeling you're being razzed?)

Comment

Originally posted by Harold Hallikainen View Post
                            To add further confusion, the senate just passed the "Daylight Protection Act of 2021" which redefines each time zone making standard time one hour advanced from where it is now as computed from UTC.
                            It shouldn't matter Harold. The TMS and servers time should simply reflect the NTP time

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Mork View Post
                              Folks, as Steve G. predicted, the boat did right itself, though I wasn't around to watch it happen. I swear, I never panicked when I noted this problem last week, but I did grumble.

I am not a codehead. Most of what is written above is undecipherable to me, a film guy who had to adjust as best I could to the new video projection world. I'm actually happy my question was answered so quickly and for once correctly. I'm used to my enquiries being shrugged off with some variation of "try clearing your cookies". (That has never solved anything! Ever get the feeling you're being razzed?)
                              Go to the Aftter Life or similar place in this forum, and make a new post as to "Whats your favorite bubble gum is and why". I can almost guarantee it will have more than 10 pages of posts with arguments about this gum is better than that gun, etc., and pictures of bubble gum packages, etc. in less time than it takes to drive to Memphis.

Or start one call3ed "Why did the fuse in my amplifier blow?" Hold on with one like that. IN less than 90 minutes the entire circuit of that amp will have been looked at, redesigned, and repaired for you in it's resultant 7 pages of posts. .

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Gulbrandsen
                                It shouldn't matter Harold. The TMS and servers time should simply reflect the NTP time
                                Both NTP servers and the DCI ecosystem use UTC. An NTP server will give you the time in UTC; projector, server, TMS, and media block logs record the time of an event in UTC. Software in these devices then translates it into whatever you configure the local time zone to be for display, or pre-programmed actions (most importantly, scheduled show starts). That software includes the dates on which DST starts and ends (i.e. the dates of clock changes in a given locale).

If the government really does go ahead and f*** with daylight saving time again (and IMHO, that would be a really bad idea, unless we go to year-round standard time, which I would support), a lot of DCI equipment will need software updates to take account of that, because UTC never changes. For example, here (Los Angeles), we are eight hours behind UTC when DST is not in effect, and seven when it is. I predict that there would be significant problems in our business if the bi-annual clock changes stop. I regularly encounter projectors and servers that have not had any software or firmware updates since they were installed 5-10 years ago. No matter how much of an information campaign manufacturers and industry bodies (e.g. ISDCF or ICTA) put up, a lot will not be updated, and theater managers will have shows start an hour early or an hour late, because the server has applied an hour's change from UTC when it shouldn't have done.

We did a similar education and information campaign about media block batteries going flat during the covid shutdown, but yet I still encountered many that had gone bad when it came to reopening, including in the theaters of people I'd reached out to. The same problem in another form will happen if DST is made permanent or abolished completely.

Comment

Working...
                                X