Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christie Cp 2215 light engine broken

Hi everyone,
    2 days ago, my Christie cp 2215 had error as image below.
    I sent this image to a local engineer. He said 99% the light engine is broken and need to be replaced.
    so I want to ask some questions:
    - How to check whether the light engine is broken? Can it be repaired?
    - If I need to replace it? How much for a new one?

Mang thanks.
    ​​​​​​
    Screenshot_20220131-210507_Gallery.jpg

I saw exactly the same thing on a Barco DP2K-32B a few weeks ago, and yes, it was a bad formatter. Reseating cards and cables didn't fix it, but when I swapped a light engine with another screen's, the problem moved.

If you don't have another projector to try a swap with, it might be possible to swap the ICP to formatter cables between green and another color (I am not a Christie expert, and so don't know if this is physically possible). If the stripes stay green, you definitely have a bad formatter. If they change to the other color, the fault is upstream from the light engine.

As for replacement cost, you'd need a quote from a Christie dealer. From a brief Google search, the only one in Vietnam I can find is Starview. It will be a pricey part, I'm afraid.

Comment

Play the uncorrected RED, GREEN and BLUE from the touch panel. Those are generated on the light engines itself. If the issue is still there, it's the engine. If not, it may be something else (*may be as I've seen instances where everything pointed to the engine but it was something else - but that's a start).

Also, what Leo says - but please remember that

1. you need to be competent in order to do so
      2. you'll have to open the projector to do so and will need to re-marry the media server, which requires a special password.

Comment

Agree with everything said so far.

Looks like you have an issue with the red channel. Simplest thing first: run test patterns from the TPC. I would expect the green and blue patterns to look normal and the red and white patterns to show stripes.

IF the test patterns look normal, the issue is likely in the IMB. But striping like this is far more likely to be in the DLP chain, so ICP, backplane, cables, LEQD, or formatters (light engine).

Next simplest thing: Reseat the ICP.

Next simplest thing: Reseat the LEQD. I don't remember if the 2215 has an LEQD or not, but I have seen them cause trouble. Very easy to reseat.

Next simplest thing: Reseat light engine connection cables between the LEQD/backplane and the formatters. This is not trivial because 2215's are pretty tightly packed, so it may require removing the light engine to reseat that end of the cables. Get a tech to do this if it's something you want to try.

Don't do anything you're not comfortable (or certified) doing. Take pictures of things as you disconnect them and/or label wires while you do, so you can make sure the right things get plugged back in where they belong. Generally speaking, if you don't know the marriage password, you probably shouldn't open the machine beyond the filter covers and lamphouse door.

Comment

There is no way to diagnose this as "99% a bad light engine" by just looking at those pictures.

The first thing is to try the test patterns. If you can find uncorrected test patterns try them, as stated these bypass some processing and can isolate problems. But I can't recall if Christie makes them easy to find.
          Quite often this problem can be corrected by reseating the circuit boards. That's a bit of a trick with a 2215 requiring the security key (Medeco key) and the projector will need to be remarried to the LD or IMB or internal server (whichever you have).

To reseat (after removing the retaining frame thing) you just use the board locks to pop a board out, push it back in until the locks click back in, and repeat a few times.

I think all Christie S2s have the LEQD, that can be reseated as well. Further than that... I can't recommend fiddling with the formatter board connectors by an untrained tech.

The light engine is expensive. The most expensive part in there.

Comment

Working...
          X