Efficiency 3D shutter glasses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Efficiency 3D shutter glasses

Which available 3D shutter glasses currently have the highest efficiency.
    We're still using the XPand X101 model and we'd like more light.

It always bothered me that 3D systems for cinema have never been properly measured and profiled for their specific performance. It was all just brochures and manufacturer claims. The 3D equipment business is pretty dead now. I don't think we will see any improvements there. I guess the premium system now is spectral separation with 2*3p/6p lasers, and that will be it. Shutter glasses will work on direct view LED screens, but they are still so rare. They'd have plenty of light, though.

You may want to check the Volfoni glasses. They are said to have better performance than these early XPanD models, but don't expect a huge improvement. You may also invest in dark time, flashing, etc. timing optimisation.

Didn't you just get a new laser projector? Still not enough light for 3D?

- Carsten

Comment

Since Barco has dropped their 6P laser projectors, NEC never had them, that leaves Christie's dual-projector 6P...not exactly a big market in the 6P department. Really, 3D is boiling down to Read-D for the masses and perhaps an active glasses, like XpanD for smaller/screening rooms that don't want to muck up their 2D shows with a high-gain 3D screen (white or silver).

Comment

For our screening room, we're using XPand, as we can't have a silver screen and Dolby3D for xenon isn't a thing anymore. We've switched from the old, bulky red glasses to the newest generation (X105 if I remember correctly), those glasses are a real improvement, as they're much lighter. While they don't seem to be much more transmissible, their black mode seems to block out much more light, which reduces ghosting, especially for subtitles. Calibrating your room for 3D remains a somewhat ethereal thing, as the effective efficiency of your 3D system is hard to measure, given that the specs of those glasses are mostly based on marketing...

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel Birgelen View Post
          For our screening room, we're using XPand, as we can't have a silver screen and Dolby3D for xenon isn't a thing anymore. We've switched from the old, bulky red glasses to the newest generation (X105 if I remember correctly), those glasses are a real improvement, as they're much lighter. While they don't seem to be much more transmissible, their black mode seems to block out much more light, which reduces ghosting, especially for subtitles. Calibrating your room for 3D remains a somewhat ethereal thing, as the effective efficiency of your 3D system is hard to measure, given that the specs of those glasses are mostly based on marketing...
          That's good to know as I may be in need of adding more glasses. Would be nice to "upgrade".

Comment

Whatever you end up choosing, please remember that measuring 6fL on a narrow hot spot in the middle of a silver screen is not necessarily better than measuring 4fL over a matte/non silver screen

Comment

Working...
            X