No announcement yet.

Christie Solaria One - IMB/IMS options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christie Solaria One - IMB/IMS options?

So, the last (?) Christie IMB-S2 in Sweden finally passed away this week. Of course it happened in a small remote village far away. And they had several screenings planned for Christmas holidays :-(
    Off the shelf I only have two options:
    - Dolby Cat745:s (hopefully alive)
    - Doremi IMS1000 (that I can borrow)
    Can any of these be used in a Solaria One and what do I need if so?
    Both IMB/IMS have Barco faceplates, Can they just be removed leaving the slot open without engaging any tamper switches?

/M.E.

Am pretty sure the GDC SR-1000 will fit it. The SR-1000 has no hard drives in it, just what they call "Cine Cache" Some sort of solid State storage. It has 2 TB of space. Here's the link. The Doremi / Dolby stuff is getting pretty old now.

https://www.gdc-tech.com/cinema-solu...block-sr-1000/

Comment

What projector does this concern? A Solaria One(+)? Because for those projectors neither the Cat745 nor the IMS1000 seem to be on the compatibility list. The only officially supported upgrade I know of, for those two models, is the GDC SR-1000... That doesn't mean others won't work, but I wouldn't put my last functioning Cat745 into such a system...

Comment

It is now five days to Christmas and I feel sorry for the kids out there. To get something new from abroad in time is simply out of the question. Even under normal circumstances.

/M.E.

Comment

Both IMS1000 and cat745 are perfectly compatible with Solaria one. They aren't listed because they are not more sold...
          You only have to update the projector to 4.8.1 version and choose the right option on the menu (Dolby for cat 745, Doremi for IMS) and to adapt/remove the faceplate.

The only officially supported upgrade I know of, for those two models, is the GDC SR-1000
          Also IMS2000 and IMS3000 are officialy supported (it was possible to buy them with the official exchange program and official faceplates are available from Christie)

Comment

But why buy such old designs? The IMS's are in the dark ages. The SR-1000 is likely to be around another ten years.., plus you have many options you can do after the fact, including audio processing, external Enterprise storage and others. Plus it's controller is an off the shelf Raspberry Pi, which can also be easily upgraded. You also get the best tech support in the industry.

Comment

Mark, have you read the first post? Magnus has a cat 745 and an IMS1000 ready available to solve a problem. Both servers are right for his purpose.

Personally, I don't think that this thread has to become another GDC vs other servers. But, just to be clear - at least here in Europe - I would say that GDC support is the worst possible. And my personal experience is far better with IMS than SR1000.

Comment

Elia is correct. It is just a temporary fix to save Christmas for this site. They will have to buy something new later. GDC, IMS3000, IMB-S3 or whatever.
                /M.E.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Gulbrandsen View Post
                  But why buy such old designs? The IMS's are in the dark ages. The SR-1000 is likely to be around another ten years.., plus you have many options you can do after the fact, including audio processing, external Enterprise storage and others. Plus it's controller is an off the shelf Raspberry Pi, which can also be easily upgraded. You also get the best tech support in the industry.
                  Jeeze Mark, do you have to be such a shill? You don't read the OP to realize what you state, true or not, does nothing to answer or support the question posed. Both the IMS and SR lines have their ups and downs but neither the SR-1000 nor the IMS3000 are available for this situation so even debating the better choice has no place. Perhaps for a permanent solution, it could be discussed.

Comment

QUOTE=Elia Orselli;n16422]Mark, have you read the first post? Magnus has a cat 745 and an IMS1000 ready available to solve a problem. Both servers are right for his purpose.

Personally, I don't think that this thread has to become another GDC vs other servers. But, just to be clear - at least here in Europe - I would say that GDC support is the worst possible. And my personal experience is far better with IMS than SR1000.[/QUOTE]

That's fine, but its still going to need replacement at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by Elia Orselli View Post
                      Both IMS1000 and cat745 are perfectly compatible with Solaria one. They aren't listed because they are not more sold...
                      You only have to update the projector to 4.8.1 version and choose the right option on the menu (Dolby for cat 745, Doremi for IMS) and to adapt/remove the faceplate.

Also IMS2000 and IMS3000 are officialy supported (it was possible to buy them with the official exchange program and official faceplates are available from Christie)
                      Did you ever run another IMB in a Solaria One or One Plus without faceplates? I don't think there are any tamper switches that check the presence of a proper face plate, but what would bother me is if the IMB will be properly cooled, especially with a fully integrated server like the IMS1000, that causes a lot more heat load due to the on-board disks.

Comment

Yes, I've done it many times and it works well. There's no tamper switch on the faceplate. I've made some custom faceplate for ims2000, ims3000 and cat745 (but in an emergency case duct tape would work)

Comment

It went well and this small community house is back on screen. Thanks all for useful information.
                          And Merry Christmas and all that.
                          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                          This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Working...
                          X