DSS200(i) occasionally not skipping forward to given time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DSS200(i) occasionally not skipping forward to given time

I came across an issue with a DSS200 that I haven't seen before.
    I am not yet on site, to get a log and upload to log analyser, but you might have an idea:
    It's a server currently working under festival stress and (regardless of reboots or shutting down for a couple of minutes or a little bit more) when one tries to enter a time and skip forward, the movie continues from where it was.
    Occasionally, it moves to that point, but that is only once, and then not again, but to the same point only.
    (If it was to move to 01:00:00 and then to 01:29:00, it would move back to 01:00:00, even if it has played up to 01:04:00.)
    It does it with DCPs that are encrypted or not, previously playing and skipping or newly ingested, played in a playlist or autonomous.
    Other makes of servers that got the DCPs from that one play them just fine...

I am thinking of taking a log, backing up serial automation and wipe the database tomorrow, but if you have any idea on what could be the trouble, I might save my self some time that I would otherwise waste.
    By the way, on festival environments, I would only have had DSS200s with the biggest drives XFS (if I remember correctly) can handle, given the chance. That ship has sailed, though.

When they enter the time code...make sure they hit ENTER/Return before clicking on OK and it will likely work fine. There are certain interfaces where that is required and some where it isn't and I forget which so I always do. This has been true for quite some time.

Comment

I will!
      Yet, that description of always working and then not, or working only the first time, after playing the playlist or the clip makes me suspicious.
      Those things become a habit.
      I wonder if it is something else, and not the database that is the issue here.
      I can't even understand what the database has to do with seeking.
      I will start with the logs and that first, and go from there...

Comment

The database will keep track of the "reels" in a DCP, if you skip past the boundary of a "reel", I guess it will use the database to determine the correct file to open.

Comment

Well, to not leave the subject hanging.
          I found out that, indeed, things worked once again when enter/return was pressed after entering the time.
          I was assured that that was not necessary in the past, and I am not challenging the fact. But here you are! It is now.
          The logs didn't show anything, of course, and I didn't do anything more in the midst of a festival running.
          I wonder if there is a setting or something that triggers that prerequisite.
          The version on that server is 4.9.5.2 for quite some time now.

Anyway. Thank you for your feedback!

Comment

There is no setting...it just is. As I said, it is not on ALL user interfaces too. For instance, it might not be the case if you are using Jupiter Client or VNC...it is a weird quirk I stumbled across. The other one...if you click on a menu item (Build, Content...etc.) and the screen doesn't change, move the mouse even one pixel in any direction and then it will.

Comment

Working...
            X